PDA

View Full Version : Heads Up! The Way You Are Sleeping May Be Killing You

megimoo
05-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Every one of us has a mysterious double life.

For about two thirds of the time we are conscious beings, thinking about the world within and without, and negotiating our ways through the obstacles of life.

For the other one third of the time we are nearly lifeless lumps of flesh, unconscious to everything but our own fantasies, as we lie flat in bed asleep.

We all know that sleep is important for health. But for an activity that consumes about 8 hours of everyday of life, surprisingly little is thought about the act of sleeping, or the way our...

http://www.hawaiireporter.com/heads-up-the-way-you-are-sleeping-may-be-killing-you/123

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Too scary/evil for GD. :eek:

Starbuck
05-27-2011, 11:05 PM
I tried to read the article, but I kept going to sleep.

Rockntractor
05-27-2011, 11:14 PM
Interesting article Mr. Moo, thanks!

Gingersnap
05-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Interesting but factually void. I have familial migraine. Migraines are not affected by sleep position. A lot of people seem to think that bad tension headaches are "migraines". They aren't.

Rockntractor
05-27-2011, 11:38 PM
Interesting but factually void. I have familial migraine. Migraines are not affected by sleep position. A lot of people seem to think that bad tension headaches are "migraines". They aren't.

I have noticed that sleep apnea related headaches definitely relate to sleep position, in fact I'm thinking about getting a memory foam wedge.

Novaheart
05-28-2011, 12:41 AM

Your family gives you a headache? How unique.

Articulate_Ape
05-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Tl;dr

megimoo
05-28-2011, 05:32 AM
I have noticed that sleep apnea related headaches definitely relate to sleep position, in fact I'm thinking about getting a memory foam wedge.
Buy an C-PAP machine, a very hard pillow and sleep on your side.

megimoo
05-28-2011, 05:34 AM
Your family gives you a headache? How unique.You give normal people headaches !

Rockntractor
05-28-2011, 06:02 AM
Buy an C-PAP machine, a very hard pillow and sleep on your side.

I have used all of the above for ten years now.

namvet
05-28-2011, 10:11 AM
I have used all of the above for ten years now.

there is a surgical procedure for sleep apnea. ive heard those machines are very noisy

Novaheart
05-28-2011, 10:52 AM
there is a surgical procedure for sleep apnea. ive heard those machines are very noisy

I have had apnea since I was a teenager. But it got much worse about ten years ago, to the point at which I thought I was mentally ill. It was actually the sleep deprivation.

I went for the sleep test. An hour into it, he put me on the machine and I woke up six hours later feeling better than I had in years. He said I was waking up over ten times per hour before the mask.

The noise doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I get a kick out of being machine assisted. I feel rather like a Borg going into regeneration mode. I can now sleep flat of my back with my legs elevated and get complete rest.

namvet
05-28-2011, 11:07 AM
I have had apnea since I was a teenager. But it got much worse about ten years ago, to the point at which I thought I was mentally ill. It was actually the sleep deprivation.

I went for the sleep test. An hour into it, he put me on the machine and I woke up six hours later feeling better than I had in years. He said I was waking up over ten times per hour before the mask.

The noise doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I get a kick out of being machine assisted. I feel rather like a Borg going into regeneration mode. I can now sleep flat of my back with my legs elevated and get complete rest.

and apnea can be fatal. an ENT i talked with said the most common cause is a piece of excess flesh in the air way that blocks its when your on your back. but i think maybe there are other reasons as well. the "flap" as he called it can be surgically removed.

mself i always sleep on my side.

Novaheart
05-28-2011, 11:11 AM
and apnea can be fatal. an ENT i talked with said the most common cause is a piece of excess flesh in the air way that blocks its when your on your back. but i think maybe there are other reasons as well. the "flap" as he called it can be surgically removed.

mself i always sleep on my side.

I'll check into it.

I'm fairly invested (about $1800) in my machines. I own two CPAPs and an oxygen concentrator. So I feel like if I have a heart attack in my sleep, I'm already on life support so it might help> :)

namvet
05-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I'll check into it.

I'm fairly invested (about $1800) in my machines. I own two CPAPs and an oxygen concentrator. So I feel like if I have a heart attack in my sleep, I'm already on life support so it might help> :)

let me know what you find out.............

Calypso Jones
05-28-2011, 04:35 PM

In order for your memory to be improved the memory foam wedge must be surgically inserted IN your head.

sheesh.

Calypso Jones
05-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Did they say anything about sleeping on the keyboard?

namvet
05-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Did they say anything about sleeping on the keyboard?

http://www.subicbaypi.com/com_getterdone.jpg

that's fatal to

Calypso Jones
05-28-2011, 08:16 PM
.....uh oh

Rockntractor
05-28-2011, 08:18 PM
In order for your memory to be improved the memory foam wedge must be surgically inserted IN your head.

sheesh.

I have to find a donor first!:confused:

djones520
05-28-2011, 08:19 PM
I have to find a donor first!:confused:

No goats stepped up?

Rockntractor
05-28-2011, 08:21 PM
No goats stepped up?

They are pretty smart........hadn't thought of that.:cool: