PDA

View Full Version : TV Executives Admit in Taped Interviews That Hollywood Pushes a Liberal Agenda

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 10:12 AM
TV Executives Admit in Taped Interviews That Hollywood Pushes a Liberal Agenda (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tv-executives-admit-taped-interviews-193116)

8:00 AM 6/1/2011 by Paul Bond

In clips that will hit the Internet to promote a new book, producers including "Friends" co-creator Marta Kauffman and "House" creator David Shore say Hollywood discriminates against and belittles conservatives.

Some of TV’s top executives from the past four decades may have gotten more than they bargained for when they agreed to be interviewed for a politically charged book that was released Tuesday, because video of their controversial remarks will soon be hitting the Internet.

The book makes the case that TV industry executives, writers and producers use their clout to advance a liberal political agenda. The author bases his thesis on, among other things, 39 taped interviews that he’ll roll out piecemeal during the next three weeks.

The Hollywood Reporter obtained several of the not-yet-released clips, embedded below. Each contains a snippet of an interview, usually some historical footage of the TV shows the interviewee was responsible for and, naturally, a plea to purchase the book, “Primetime Propaganda” by Ben Shapiro and published by Broad Side, an imprint of HarperCollins.

I don't expect anyone here to be surprised this revelation, but the full article is definitely worth a read. This quote by Susan Harris in particular made me want to throw up: “At least, you know, we put Obama in office, and so people, I think, are getting – have gotten – a little bit smarter.”

I'll definitely be getting this book when it comes out. Should make a great Christmas gift for some of my favorite liberals.

ralph wiggum
06-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Shocking, I tell ya'!

Good to see you Peri! :cool:

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 10:18 AM
Shocking, I tell ya'!

Good to see you Peri! :cool:

You too Ralph. How's it going?

:cool:

ralph wiggum
06-02-2011, 10:32 AM
You too Ralph. How's it going?

:cool:

Busy, but life is good.

Rebel Yell
06-02-2011, 11:08 AM
:DGet a room, you two. :rolleyes:

Gingersnap
06-02-2011, 11:20 AM
More GD than Lounge. Stupid Liberal Tricks would also be a possibility.

ralph wiggum
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Either works for me.

And I haven't seen Peri post in a while, Rebel Yell! I was just saying hi. :mad:

:p

Rebel Yell
06-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Either works for me.

And I haven't seen Peri post in a while, Rebel Yell! I was just saying hi. :mad:

I know. He has been AWOL for a while. I assumed he was at CC.

pyackog
06-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I don't think Hollywood has ever shied away from this idea...they have been proud of this fact for as long as I can remember.

Odysseus
06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Hey, Peri. Good to see you back.

I don't think Hollywood has ever shied away from this idea...they have been proud of this fact for as long as I can remember.

Yes, but they've always denied it when they are called on it.

Arroyo_Doble
06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't care. Star Trek was damn good, anyway.

Rebel Yell
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Won't stop me from tuning in to House next season, either.

ralph wiggum
06-02-2011, 12:26 PM
However, the ranks of dumb right-wingers has dwindled, according to Harris, whose video has her saying: “At least, you know, we put Obama in office, and so people, I think, are getting – have gotten – a little bit smarter.”

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fettpett
06-02-2011, 12:45 PM
http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/aubrey-vaughan/2011/05/31/new-book-primetime-propaganda-documents-how-left-controls-hollywood

New Book 'Primetime Propaganda' Documents How Left Controls Hollywood
By Aubrey Vaughan | May 31, 2011 | 16:25

23Share
Change font size: A | A
Hollywood liberals consistently deny that they "blacklist" conservatives, or that center-right political views are routinely and overtly excluded from the entertainment industry's collective voice. But in a strong riposte, Ben Shapiro's new book, "Primetime Propaganda: The True Hollywood Story of How the Left Took Over Your TV", provides extensive documentation on Hollywood's political clout, demonstrating the crippling hand the entertainment industry has in pushing Americans to readily accept its left-wing agenda as a truthful reality.

It's no secret that Hollywood discriminates against conservative actors, but Shapiro works to expose a different problem: the concerted efforts by entertainment industry executives to shape Americans into Hollywood's liberal mold. After interviewing over one hundred Hollywood kingpins, Shapiro found that not only will they readily admit that Hollywood has a strict anti-conservative agenda, but further, that many of their TV shows have underlying political messages meant to influence the way their audiences think.

While viewers might believe they can separate themselves from the subliminal messaging, Shapiro counters that idea.

You get home from work, kick off your shoes, and plop down in front of the TV, hoping simply to chill out. Instead, you get unmitigated liberalism pouring out of your TV. But you continue to watch because it’s great. It’s fun, thrilling, dramatic, or hilarious. We think it has no impact on us.
But it does. Television made Barack Obama. Television it supported bigger and bigger government, from Welfare to health care; pushed abortion-on-demand and the radical gay agenda into the mainstream; it stumped against war and for meaningless buzzwords like diversity and dangerous buzzwords like multiculturalism. Television has done more to change the politics of our nation than simple politics has.
Television has manipulated us. And those who create television have done it purposefully, and elegantly. They have weeded out conservatives in the industry wholesale. They have worked hand-in-glove with liberals in government to forward the leftist agenda. They have turned pure entertainment into a vehicle for propaganda.

Read more: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/aubrey-vaughan/2011/05/31/new-book-primetime-propaganda-documents-how-left-controls-hollywood#ixzz1O8Mocrz0

found this the other day, was going to post, but got caught up in other stuff.

Odysseus
06-02-2011, 01:27 PM

TOS, certainly. NextGen and the others were highly uneven.

Arroyo_Doble
06-02-2011, 01:37 PM
TOS, certainly. NextGen and the others were highly uneven.

I like NextGen but Deep Space Nine was not that good (although Quark is one of my favorite Star Trek characters).

pyackog
06-02-2011, 01:40 PM
How did this turn into a geek thread??? :p

Rebel Yell
06-02-2011, 01:42 PM
How did this turn into a geek thread??? :p

Geekdom is the only thing Arroyo and Ody can agree on.

fettpett
06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
TOS and TNTG were good, Voyager was good at first but sucked after the 2nd season DS9 was alright, but nothing like the rest

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 04:50 PM

I considered GD at first, this is fine. Thanks.

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
I know. He has been AWOL for a while. I assumed he was at CC.

Ah hum! "He" is a She!

And I've just been busy, but I still keep tabs on this place.

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Hey, Peri. Good to see you back.

Thanks!

Yes, but they've always denied it when they are called on it.

Exactly, and now it's on video.

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 05:15 PM
I agree Arroyo & Rebel. I always thought the liberal bias was obvious in both of those shows. Didn't stop me from enjoying them. For those that deny the obvious bias, this admission, will be impossible to ignore.

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I agree, Quark was the best thing about DSN. Voyagers was my favorite series, and I loved the short lived Enterprise too.

Rebel Yell
06-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Ah hum! "He" is a She!

And I've just been busy, but I still keep tabs on this place.

Ooops. Well, since you've been gone we've added a he/she.

fettpett
06-02-2011, 05:59 PM
I agree, Quark was the best thing about DSN. Voyagers was my favorite series, and I loved the short lived Enterprise too.

with Voyager they had some major lore screw ups, like the episode that had Tom turn into a Salamander while they were experimenting with warp 10

I just could never get into DS9, probably could have the last few seasons when they got into the war, but by then it was to far into it

Enterprise would have been much better if they hadn't had the whole stupid temporal cold war crap

Odysseus
06-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Geekdom is the only thing Arroyo and Ody can agree on.
Not really. I loathed most of Next Gen. The first season was so bad that it took me several years before I'd watch it again, and I never thought that it was very good. DS 9 was better, but still has weaknesses, and Voyager was basically Space:1999, reset in the Trek universe, and not much better, except for Seven of Nine's outfit, which pretty much made the rest of the show tolerable. Enterprise was a good idea that just failed from the get-go.

However, I do believe that geekdom can create bridges. From my old blog:

The Fanboys o f Jihad

I observed a rather gross generalization of the demographics of suicide bombers. They tend to be single males, young adults, who live with their families and lack sexual experience. Throw in the profuse facial hair and the fanatic devotion to a single idea and you have a group that's remarkably similar to Star Trek and Comic Book fans.

In fact, I suspect that one of the reasons that there are so few female suicide bombers is that they are promised 72 male virgins in paradise. You can imagine the shock on a female suicide bomber's face when she wakes up and discovers that she has to spend the afterlife at the San Diego Comic Con. Anyone who's been to a comic book convention knows that the ratio of one female to 72 male virgins is about right. Needless to say, it's not every woman's idea of paradise.

Still, it does make you think. Given the similarities in the demographics, is it possible that we are dealing with Islamic fanboys? Could a Star Trek con at the Baghdad Hilton defuse some of the tensions in the region? Imagine the contribution to the stability of the region that could be made if we could get William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy onstage.

And, given that the hotel would be in the Green Zone, with its own bar, we wouldn't have to work to get the press to attend. The potential distraction and rechanneling of the energies of insurgents would be a tremendous boon to Iraqi democracy, and all it would take is a couple of photo ops with cast members, the opening of a few comic book shops and an airdrop of collectible action figures.

Imagine the progress that will be made when Jihadi fanboys begin quoting Buffy dialogue instead of the Qur'an. The day that the Green Lantern oath is translated into Arabic is the day that the insurgency begins to collapse under its own weight (and the weight of middle-aged male virgins who've been scarfing down happy meals for the collectible Star Wars figures).

Of course, feeding the different types of fantasy fandom might not diffuse tensions, but increase them by exacerbating the schisms between the different insurgent factions, but even this could work to our advantage, as Ba'athists who favor the Next Generation series would be pitted against Sunni fundamentalists who would fight to the death for the original series, although the risk of them teaming up to destroy a burgeoning Iraqi women's movement could lead to the unfortunate viewing of Voyager episodes, but no one said that war is anything but a terrible business.

It would be a tough fight, but the opportunity to pit local insurgents against foreign fighters should not be discounted, or to put it another way, "1,000 Quatloos on the newcomers."

Thanks!
Exactly, and now it's on video.
Which just means that liberal movie reviewers will pan it.

I agree Arroyo & Rebel. I always thought the liberal bias was obvious in both of those shows. Didn't stop me from enjoying them. For those that deny the obvious bias, this admission, will be impossible to ignore.

And yet, they will. Evidence doesn't penetrate some people.

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Ooops. Well, since you've been gone we've added a he/she.

It's alright, not the first time that's happened.

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 06:30 PM
with Voyager they had some major lore screw ups, like the episode that had Tom turn into a Salamander while they were experimenting with warp 10

I just could never get into DS9, probably could have the last few seasons when they got into the war, but by then it was to far into it

Enterprise would have been much better if they hadn't had the whole stupid temporal cold war crap

Yeah Voyager had some pretty bad episodes, but overall it was great. It had some of my favorite characters The Doctor, Nelix, and Seven. And I loved the Paris & Torres relationship.

DS9 was the most difficult to get into for me too. Quark was the only one worth watching.

With Enterprise I love the love triangle between Archer, T'Pol, & Trip.

Bailey
06-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah Voyager had some pretty bad episodes, but overall it was great. It had some of my favorite characters The Doctor, Nelix, and Seven. And I loved the Paris & Torres relationship.

DS9 was the most difficult to get into for me too. Quark was the only one worth watching.

With Enterprise I love the love triangle between Archer, T'Pol, & Trip.

DS9 only got interesting when they brought the Dominion into the series.

Enterprise was gay from the get go. To much gheyness to get into now.

Voyager was good except for the women capt, her voice was/is the most annoying voice i have ever heard in a TV show.

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Not really. I loathed most of Next Gen. The first season was so bad that it took me several years before I'd watch it again, and I never thought that it was very good. DS 9 was better, but still has weaknesses, and Voyager was basically Space:1999, reset in the Trek universe, and not much better, except for Seven of Nine's outfit, which pretty much made the rest of the show tolerable. Enterprise was a good idea that just failed from the get-go.

However, I do believe that geekdom can create bridges. From my old blog:

The Fanboys o f Jihad

I observed a rather gross generalization of the demographics of suicide bombers. They tend to be single males, young adults, who live with their families and lack sexual experience. Throw in the profuse facial hair and the fanatic devotion to a single idea and you have a group that's remarkably similar to Star Trek and Comic Book fans.

In fact, I suspect that one of the reasons that there are so few female suicide bombers is that they are promised 72 male virgins in paradise. You can imagine the shock on a female suicide bomber's face when she wakes up and discovers that she has to spend the afterlife at the San Diego Comic Con. Anyone who's been to a comic book convention knows that the ratio of one female to 72 male virgins is about right. Needless to say, it's not every woman's idea of paradise.

Still, it does make you think. Given the similarities in the demographics, is it possible that we are dealing with Islamic fanboys? Could a Star Trek con at the Baghdad Hilton defuse some of the tensions in the region? Imagine the contribution to the stability of the region that could be made if we could get William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy onstage.

And, given that the hotel would be in the Green Zone, with its own bar, we wouldn't have to work to get the press to attend. The potential distraction and rechanneling of the energies of insurgents would be a tremendous boon to Iraqi democracy, and all it would take is a couple of photo ops with cast members, the opening of a few comic book shops and an airdrop of collectible action figures.

Imagine the progress that will be made when Jihadi fanboys begin quoting Buffy dialogue instead of the Qur'an. The day that the Green Lantern oath is translated into Arabic is the day that the insurgency begins to collapse under its own weight (and the weight of middle-aged male virgins who've been scarfing down happy meals for the collectible Star Wars figures).

Of course, feeding the different types of fantasy fandom might not diffuse tensions, but increase them by exacerbating the schisms between the different insurgent factions, but even this could work to our advantage, as Ba'athists who favor the Next Generation series would be pitted against Sunni fundamentalists who would fight to the death for the original series, although the risk of them teaming up to destroy a burgeoning Iraqi women's movement could lead to the unfortunate viewing of Voyager episodes, but no one said that war is anything but a terrible business.

It would be a tough fight, but the opportunity to pit local insurgents against foreign fighters should not be discounted, or to put it another way, "1,000 Quatloos on the newcomers."

Which just means that liberal movie reviewers will pan it.

And yet, they will. Evidence doesn't penetrate some people.

True enough, there are none so blind as those who will not see.

Perilloux
06-02-2011, 06:49 PM
DS9 only got interesting when they brought the Dominion into the series.

Enterprise was gay from the get go. To much gheyness to get into now.

Voyager was good except for the women capt, her voice was/is the most annoying voice i have ever heard in a TV show.

Completely agree about Janeway's voice. Like nails on a chalk board.

fettpett
06-02-2011, 07:34 PM
Kate Mulgrew wasn't even the first choice Genevičve Bujold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genevi%C3%A8ve_Bujold) was, she lasted 2 days and quit

Erin Gray and Chelsea Field also auditioned

Odysseus
06-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Kate Mulgrew wasn't even the first choice Genevičve Bujold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genevi%C3%A8ve_Bujold) was, she lasted 2 days and quit

Erin Gray and Chelsea Field also auditioned

Mulgrew wasn't the problem, it was the writing. Don't get me wrong, a bad actor can destroy good material, but a good actor cannot save crap.

fettpett
06-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Mulgrew wasn't the problem, it was the writing. Don't get me wrong, a bad actor can destroy good material, but a good actor cannot save crap.

I know, but a lot of people didn't like her voice, that's why I said it. Once Gene died the whole series went to shit till the end of DS9 and even then it do much, even the movies after Undiscovered Country sucked, except for First Contact until the new one

NJCardFan
06-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I know, but a lot of people didn't like her voice, that's why I said it. Once Gene died the whole series went to shit till the end of DS9 and even then it do much, even the movies after Undiscovered Country sucked, except for First Contact until the new one
I used to think First Contact was the best TNG movie but after analyzing it, they could have made it an episode. They completely blew off the TOS episode involving Zephram Cochran and created a man who's motivation was money. Then, of course, there is a Voyager episode with the Borg Queen which pretty much destroyed the notion that the queen was unique(Picard's assertion at the end of FC). That said, comparing the series, take the cheesy FX out, TOS blows the doors off of the other series' writing wise.

Rebel Yell
06-03-2011, 10:00 AM
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh216/WinternovaOhio/sealcopygy7-1.jpg

Bailey
06-03-2011, 10:28 AM

The new movie sucked big time, i am not a fan of "rebooting" and they ruined the series for me. :mad:

I agree with the first contact movie being the best (IMHO) since the Kahn movie.

Odysseus
06-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Roddenberry's death actually freed up some of the creativity on TNG, since he wouldn't allow big space battles (he believed that in the future, problems would be solved through reason and persuasion). The darker tone that TNG took on, especially with the Borg story arcs, was only possible because he wasn't there to oppose it.

I used to think First Contact was the best TNG movie but after analyzing it, they could have made it an episode. They completely blew off the TOS episode involving Zephram Cochran and created a man who's motivation was money. Then, of course, there is a Voyager episode with the Borg Queen which pretty much destroyed the notion that the queen was unique(Picard's assertion at the end of FC). That said, comparing the series, take the cheesy FX out, TOS blows the doors off of the other series' writing wise.
I thought that all of the TNG movies were pretty awful. I could have lived with Cochran being motivated by money, but having him be a horny lush who couldn't have possibly built a warp drive in his garage was just idiotic, and the way that the Borg conveniently stopped their advance whenever the plot required it was just lazy.

The new movie sucked big time, i am not a fan of "rebooting" and they ruined the series for me. :mad:

I agree with the first contact movie being the best (IMHO) since the Kahn movie.
I could live with the rebooting, but after seeing Tron II, and the CGI version of the younger Jeff Bridges, I think that Paramount really needs to think about getting the remainder of the original cast together with a couple of good impersonators for DeForest Kelly and James Doohan and do a TOS movie, circa the first five year mission.
Wrath of Khan is without a doubt the best Trek movie, probably followed by Undiscovered Country. The worst of the TOS ones is better than the best TNG one, though.