PDA

View Full Version : Fiscal Friday

linda22003
06-03-2011, 08:13 AM
Sunny and cool in the DC area; shaping up to be a beautiful weekend.

TOTD: On the way to work, I was listening to C-SPAN's "Washington Journal". The morning topic was how people have had to make adjustments in the New Economy. We haven't made any adjustments, but it got me to thinking; if we had to trim the budget, where would we do it? We spend lavishly on groceries for two people, so it wouldn't be hard to cut back, there. And I'd certainly give up cable before I'd give up maid service.
What would be on your hit list if you had to trim the budget?

SaintLouieWoman
06-03-2011, 08:55 AM
Sunny and cool in the DC area; shaping up to be a beautiful weekend.

TOTD: On the way to work, I was listening to C-SPAN's "Washington Journal". The morning topic was how people have had to make adjustments in the New Economy. We haven't made any adjustments, but it got me to thinking; if we had to trim the budget, where would we do it? We spend lavishly on groceries for two people, so it wouldn't be hard to cut back, there. And I'd certainly give up cable before I'd give up maid service.
What would be on your hit list if you had to trim the budget?

Beautiful weather here in sunny Florida, as usual, but starting to get hotter. There's a reason this is the off-season time now.

We've cut back. We had donated our lawn mower to Goodwill when we moved here as the yard was pretty big and the grass here is tough to cut. We had a reasonably priced lawn service by some Amish people. We've renegotiated and only have the lawn cut now. We're doing all the rest ourselves and cut the bill significantly. So I'm out trimming the hedges that are all over this place. In most areas there are double layers of hedges, with taller ones to the rear and then lower, more rounded ones in the front.

We've also limited the visits to Whole Foods and I've cut grocery charges dramatically by getting all the fruits, veggies, cheeses and deli meats at the local Amish places. Another cut is eating home most of the time and using coupons if we do go out to eat.

We also negotiated down the price of our cable. They had a recurring mistake and after talking tough with them, hopefully they've got the proper billing now. All of these things have made a difference.

Gingersnap
06-03-2011, 10:41 AM
We'll be in the 70s today and it should be a very nice day!

TOTD: We haven't cut back but we are thrifty people regardless of the economy. If we had to make changes we could stop going out as much, certainly. I could get more out of the garden if I set my mind to it. I could sew more than I do now. We could drop the satellite (nobody really watches it in the summer, anyway).

We already don't have cell phone plans, second cars, sleep-away vacations, gym memberships, standing mani/pedi appointments, etc., etc. I've lived poor-to-the-bone and I can pinch a penny until Lincoln screams so if we had to, we'd find ways to cut back but the thrifty lifestyle has served us very well during this downturn.

Starbuck
06-03-2011, 10:52 AM
........... And I'd certainly give up cable before I'd give up maid service...........
Jeez, Linda. Don't know that I would have said that.:D

Heat index at about 100 today. I'll sweat through another pair of shorts and another T-shirt as I work in the yard.

Frugal by nature, we both constantly review things and talk about whether we need this or that. We're very proud of our recent seamless retirement. We could cut back if we had to. I've got a cell phone I almost never use. And I just decided against a riding mower. I was going to buy a new ZTR for about 2200, but I feel smarter just chasing that old Yazoo! around the yard. What the heck, people even stop and ask where I got it, sometimes.:)

pyackog
06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi of 94 today and sunny which is about the norm for this week and next week as well as it turns out.

TOTD: Could cut back costs alot. My wife and I could cut back or quit smoking altogether, order dinner in a little less, get rid of the movie package on Directv.

lacarnut
06-03-2011, 02:16 PM
It is in the high 90's in big B.R. We need rain badly.

TOTD: I could cut Direct TV and get basic cable. I could lower my grocery bill and eat out less. Trips to the beach would be less frequent also.

linda22003
06-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Jeez, Linda. Don't know that I would have said that.:D

Well, it's a priority for me. And at $65 a week, it's an affordable "luxury". I'll do without a number of things before I give that up.

namvet
06-03-2011, 07:08 PM
nothing but hig heat for the next serval days

wife and I started our cut backs the day after Osama was elected. we knew it was coming.

got some but not much credit card debt left. so were gonna pay that off. we used to have a lot. they're all paid off and gone. we'll just carry 1 card. for emergencies only !!!

lacarnut
06-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Well, it's a priority for me. And at $65 a week, it's an affordable "luxury". I'll do without a number of things before I give that up.

You sound like my ex. We had a maid but she said housework made her ill. She could not cook either.:)

Gingersnap
06-03-2011, 09:49 PM
You sound like my ex. We had a maid but she said housework made her ill. She could not cook either.:)

Everybody decides their "priorities". For some, it's travel, for some it's guns, for others it's massage (not the 'happy ending' kind). So long as your financial plan accommodates your interests, it's all good.

Most women don't derive any special satisfaction from housework anymore than most men derive special satisfaction from mowing the lawn or painting the house. Sure, it's great when it's done but nobody yearns to do it. Same thing with mopping floors and laundry.

Everybody has their own "necessary" luxuries. Mine involve high-end yarn and horses. ;)

Rockntractor
06-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Everybody has their own "necessary" luxuries. Mine involve high-end yarn and horses. ;)

Do you knit clothes for them?:confused:
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/655-1.jpg

Phillygirl
06-03-2011, 10:41 PM
I generally live pretty frugally. But I could get rid of 1 of my cars. I could get rid of the cable, or at least the premium channels that I never watch. I could stop taking the kids on the boys and girl vacations and easily cut back on the clothes that I buy. I don't grocery shop a lot, but when I do it tends to be from Fresh Foods, especially since they closed my Genuardi's. But since my financial advisor says I have enough to retire semi-comfortably now, and I've still got at least 10 more years of working in me, I don't feel too guilty about spending what I do.

Rockntractor
06-03-2011, 10:44 PM
I generally live pretty frugally. But I could get rid of 1 of my cars. I could get rid of the cable, or at least the premium channels that I never watch. I could stop taking the kids on the boys and girl vacations and easily cut back on the clothes that I buy. I don't grocery shop a lot, but when I do it tends to be from Fresh Foods, especially since they closed my Genuardi's. But since my financial advisor says I have enough to retire semi-comfortably now, and I've still got at least 10 more years of working in me, I don't feel too guilty about spending what I do.

I didn't know you had kids.

Phillygirl
06-03-2011, 10:48 PM
I didn't know you had kids.

They're borrowed.

Rockntractor
06-03-2011, 10:50 PM
They're borrowed.

That's the best kind, you can take them home when they won't behave!

Phillygirl
06-03-2011, 10:54 PM
That's the best kind, you can take them home when they won't behave!

Yep.

Madisonian
06-04-2011, 09:01 AM
We cut back to basic cable and got rid of the texting plan on our phones.
Last year we sold off the boat and the Harley Dresser which put some money back into the accounts plus eliminated the ongoing costs of storage, use and insurance.
In a pinch we could probably shave another 1 to 2 thousand off the monthly expenses.

SaintLouieWoman
06-04-2011, 10:20 AM
We cut back to basic cable and got rid of the texting plan on our phones.
Last year we sold off the boat and the Harley Dresser which put some money back into the accounts plus eliminated the ongoing costs of storage, use and insurance.
In a pinch we could probably shave another 1 to 2 thousand off the monthly expenses.

We don't text so that's a savings from the start of our plan. We're getting ready to sell our 2nd car, the Chevy Blazer since we're not even using it and saving a bunch since SR's stroke from the no-smoke ruling of the docs. Those smokes get expensive, but he didn't really smoke that much. We just want to get rid of that 2nd car with the licensing and auto insurance expense and will get a new one if and when he's cleared to return to work and to drive (that darned seizure has a mandatory 6 month no drive policy with the state).

Kay
06-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Most women don't derive any special satisfaction from housework

I'm an exception to this. I have always enjoyed cleaning my house.
It's therapeutic and my best form of stress relief. When I'm dusting
I feel good. I'm a little OCD about cleaning. This past year or two
I have been slipping a lot due to my work schedule though. I love
when I can have a long weekend to myself to clean. Clean is good.

namvet
06-04-2011, 11:57 AM
my wife works, im retired so im the bitch

Starbuck
06-04-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm an exception to this. I have always enjoyed cleaning my house.
It's therapeutic and my best form of stress relief. When I'm dusting
I feel good. I'm a little OCD about cleaning. This past year or two
I have been slipping a lot due to my work schedule though. I love
when I can have a long weekend to myself to clean. Clean is good.
I feel the same way about working in the yard and doing dishes. Everyone knows they better keep their cotton pickin hands off the dishwasher, and don't even consider hiring someone to do the yard. Just cause I had surgery lately doesn't mean I can't do what I'm supposed to.:)

namvet
06-04-2011, 03:36 PM
forgot to mention last year I qualified for VA drug prescrips. a hugh saving for us

SaintLouieWoman
06-04-2011, 03:38 PM
forgot to mention last year I qualified for VA drug prescrips. a hugh saving for us

And I gave in and started getting generic drugs, a huge savings. The only brand name that I insist on is the thyroid med.

namvet
06-04-2011, 04:09 PM
And I gave in and started getting generic drugs, a huge savings. The only brand name that I insist on is the thyroid med.

I was using one name brand because there was no generic. it still has a patent. and expensive.

the others are generics. i get them under the 4 and 10 dollar program at a local pharmacy.

30 day supply 4 bucks

90 day 10 bucks. no ins needed just a prescript.