PDA

View Full Version : First man cured of HIV

fettpett
06-05-2011, 05:50 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110603/us_yblog_thelookout/first-man-functionally-cured-of-hiv

Fri Jun 3, 5:40 pm ET
First man ‘functionally cured’ of HIV
By Liz Goodwin

Since HIV was discovered 30 years ago this week, 30 million people have died from the disease, and it continues to spread at the rate of 7,000 people per day globally, the UN says.

AP story, but very promising so I thought it would be worth posting

djones520
06-05-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty sure I read a story last year like this...

CueSi
06-05-2011, 06:04 PM
If it's true... Good.

~QC

Odysseus
06-05-2011, 09:06 PM
If it's true... Good.

~QC

It would be great if it is.

megimoo
06-05-2011, 09:09 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110603/us_yblog_thelookout/first-man-functionally-cured-of-hiv

AP story, but very promising so I thought it would be worth postingA link would be nice...

fettpett
06-05-2011, 09:47 PM
A link would be nice...

um....the link is at the top of the post....

megimoo
06-05-2011, 10:25 PM
um....the link is at the top of the post....
.....So it is, sorry...

An interessting fact about the 'cure' .
". The bone transplant came from a man who was immune to HIV, which scientists say about 1 percent of Caucasians are. "....So the hopes are to harvest bone marrow from about 1 percent of the population...Perhaps those who own said bones should have a say or are we going to hold them in isolation and 'breed' them to produce more Aid immune bone material ?
Where Does HIV Hide?

In summary, there is good news and bad news. It is not possible to achieve eradication of HIV disease. Cellular reservoirs are seeded with HIV during the early stages of infection, when viral replication is unsuppressed.

Once successful viral suppression is accomplished, the fact that the reservoirs appear to be frozen in time would appear to suggest that the seeding of reservoirs stops. These findings underscore the importance of maintaining total viral suppression, to avoid infection of resting CD4+ cells with a population of resistant viruses.

It is crucial to understand the pathogenesis of HIV disease in children before recommending structured treatment interruptions after successful viral suppression has been achieved.

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/416570
Can a Bone-Marrow Transplant Halt HIV?
snip
The human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is a pathogen so wily and protean that researchers rarely talk about curing infected patients, focusing instead on treatment and prevention. But in an announcement that caused a flutter of excitement and a wave of prudent skepticism, Berlin-based hematologist Gero Huetter claimed on Thursday that he has cured an HIV infection in a 42-year-old man through a bone-marrow transplant.
snip
Is this a viable cure for HIV? Not by a long shot.
Even Huetter says bone-marrow transplants, which kill about a third of patients, are so dangerous that "they can't be justified ethically" in anything other than desperate situations like late-stage leukemia. Nor is it clear that Huetter's claim to have cured his patient is yet justified. HIV has a frustrating ability to hide in hard-to-detect "reservoir" cells in various parts of the body. Current antiviral drugs, for example, can lower a patient's "viral load" to the point that HIV is undetectable in his or her bloodstream. But as soon as such patients are taken off antivirals, the virus comes storming back.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1858843,00.html

lacarnut
06-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Rationing of health care is coming if Obamacare stands.

RobJohnson
06-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I really hope this is true.

I lost a friend to HIV from a blood transfusion. He was the first high school student in IL with HIV to attend a public school, this was in the 80's. He held on many years but he was such a nice kid. RIP Jeff...

megimoo
06-06-2011, 12:03 AM

I lost a friend to HIV from a blood transfusion. He was the first high school student in IL with HIV to attend a public school, this was in the 80's. He held on many years but he was such a nice kid. RIP Jeff...Once infected it never stops.The Aids Chemotherapy only holds it back but doesn't actually kills it,If the drugs stop the virus comes back stronger than ever...

megimoo
06-06-2011, 12:19 AM

I lost a friend to HIV from a blood transfusion. He was the first high school student in IL with HIV to attend a public school, this was in the 80's. He held on many years but he was such a nice kid. RIP Jeff...Once infected it never stops.The Aids Chemotherapy only holds it back but doesn't actually kills it,If the drugs stop the virus comes back stronger than ever...

RobJohnson
06-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Once infected it never stops.The Aids Chemotherapy only holds it back but doesn't actually kills it,If the drugs stop the virus comes back stronger than ever...

I know a few people that have had HIV for years....one lady ended up with it after she found out her ex-husband had been cheating on her... I'm happy with a life span increase and quality of life imporvements until we can find a true cure. This lady has done a great job raising her kids....they are so cute and polite.

fettpett
06-06-2011, 03:37 AM
The biggest problem is that it's a virus. There are no real cures for virus, just immunizations that use a weakened form or a similar virus to build a defense for it. Even this requires gaining an immunity to the virus