PDA

View Full Version : Santorum Enters GOP Presidential Contest

txradioguy
06-06-2011, 11:02 AM
http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/U.S./396/223/060511_santorumNH.jpg

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum announced Monday that he is entering the race for the Republican presidential nomination, saying he's "in it to win it."

"We're ready to announce that we're going to be in this race," Santorum said on a television news show ahead of a rally in Somerset, Pa. He will then fly to Iowa for events on June 7, and to New Hampshire on June 8-9.

Santorum, the former No. 3 Republican in the U.S. Senate, was to rally at the Somerset County Courthouse, a location that his team said is significant because it is near where Santorum's grandfather settled in the U.S. "after leaving fascist Italy to work in the Pennsylvania coal mines until he was 72 years old. He chose to come to America for the freedom our nation offered him."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/06/santorum-poised-to-enter-gop-presidential-contest/

Odysseus
06-06-2011, 06:04 PM
http://a57.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/U.S./396/223/060511_santorumNH.jpg

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum announced Monday that he is entering the race for the Republican presidential nomination, saying he's "in it to win it."

"We're ready to announce that we're going to be in this race," Santorum said on a television news show ahead of a rally in Somerset, Pa. He will then fly to Iowa for events on June 7, and to New Hampshire on June 8-9.

Santorum, the former No. 3 Republican in the U.S. Senate, was to rally at the Somerset County Courthouse, a location that his team said is significant because it is near where Santorum's grandfather settled in the U.S. "after leaving fascist Italy to work in the Pennsylvania coal mines until he was 72 years old. He chose to come to America for the freedom our nation offered him."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/06/06/santorum-poised-to-enter-gop-presidential-contest/

I could vote for Santorum, but unless he can articulate a message that presents him as uniquely qualified among Republicans and can fire up the base, he's not going to get very far. Also, he lost his last statewide election in PA, which means that he's going to have to work hard to win his own state, something that most candidates don't have to worry about. Carter didn't have to worry about carrying Georgia, and even Mondale and Duakakis carried their own states. Gore, OTOH, didn't carry Tennessee (although it can be argued that he wasn't really from there, so much as being a child of the Beltway), and that cost him 2000.

Phillygirl
06-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I could vote for Santorum, but unless he can articulate a message that presents him as uniquely qualified among Republicans and can fire up the base, he's not going to get very far. Also, he lost his last statewide election in PA, which means that he's going to have to work hard to win his own state, something that most candidates don't have to worry about. Carter didn't have to worry about carrying Georgia, and even Mondale and Duakakis carried their own states. Gore, OTOH, didn't carry Tennessee (although it can be argued that he wasn't really from there, so much as being a child of the Beltway), and that cost him 2000.

He lost to a Casey, it was understandable. Bob Casey was like a Kennedy around here, but in a good way. It was the perfect storm...the dems saved Casey Jr. for a run against Santorum, rather than a run against Specter. It was well planned. The GOP has lost a lot of ground in PA, but perhaps the tides are turning a bit. Specter's defeat and Joe Sestak's defeat are good news for the Republican party around here.

I am glad that Santorum is getting in the race. At the very least, there is a true pro-life conservative in the running.

Sestak is now running for the Homeowner's Board...and it's a contested race! :D

Articulate_Ape
06-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Life isn't worth much if it sucks. I would go after fixing the suck first, thenworry about what life is. But that's just me.

Odysseus
06-06-2011, 09:52 PM
He lost to a Casey, it was understandable. Bob Casey was like a Kennedy around here, but in a good way. It was the perfect storm...the dems saved Casey Jr. for a run against Santorum, rather than a run against Specter. It was well planned. The GOP has lost a lot of ground in PA, but perhaps the tides are turning a bit. Specter's defeat and Joe Sestak's defeat are good news for the Republican party around here.

I am glad that Santorum is getting in the race. At the very least, there is a true pro-life conservative in the running.

Sestak is now running for the Homeowner's Board...and it's a contested race! :D

The Homeowner's Board? Was the dogcatcher race already full?

Phillygirl
06-06-2011, 10:04 PM
The Homeowner's Board? Was the dogcatcher race already full?

I guess so! I've heard he's a very nice man. Last election I did a very informal survey and it surprised me how many Dems had military experience versus the R's. I think the R's make a big mistake in this time not to have some military experience on the ballots.

Bailey
06-07-2011, 09:05 AM
I'd vote for him, he is a good upstanding Christian. (from what I read)

But I know the Godless wont vote for him for that reason.