PDA

View Full Version : When will we have a political system that protects the private lives...

FDK
06-06-2011, 05:09 PM
librechik (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-06-11 05:04 PM
Original message
When will we have a political system that protects the private lives of our representatives?

Really it is nobody's business. And yet the moralizing press is always on the alert to destroy the professional lives of our elected representatives due to some personal peccadillo which never effected job performance or integrity of policy.

Clinton had a consensual relationship with a fellow adult, which should have been nobody's business. And yet they were able to use his "lie" about it--which he told in order to protect his privacy and the privacy of Lewinsky, in a sense an honorable lie, certainly not a self-serving one--
to cripple him politically.

Meanwhile the very same people who tsked and shook their fingers at Clinton AND PROSECUTED HIM were committing similar or worse deceptions in their own lives which they never had to be held accountable for.

Until we allow our elected representatives to be adults and have an expectation of privacy in that, we are nothing but a bunch of salivating children who allow beasts to cheapen and poison our political discourse for their own aggrandizement.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1239879

Hey, idjut, when they go into politics it's part of the game.

I'll bet you weren't posting this tripe when Larry Craig got busted.

NJCardFan
06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
When will we have a political system that protects the private lives of our representatives?
Wow...just...wow. Something tells me that librechik's attitude was somewhat different when Chris Lee sent a pick of himself to a woman on Craig's list.

Carol
06-06-2011, 06:32 PM
which he told in order to protect his privacy and the privacy of Lewinsky, in a sense an honorable lie, certainly not a self-serving one--
Yea, right. :rolleyes: LOL

Adam Wood
06-06-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd love to just post "Sarah Palin" in that thread and see what happens.

djones520
06-07-2011, 12:23 AM
When will we have a system we're we don't have to worry about people like this running our country? How bout that?

AmPat
06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
Original message
When will we have Reps that lead virtuous lives that don't require "protection?"

Really it is nobody's business. And yet the moralizing press is always on the alert to destroy the professional lives of our elected representatives due to some personal peccadillo which never effected job performance or integrity of policy.
The word is "affect." :rolleyes: Wiener is a public figure and posted the offending Member of Congress himself. He has a professional obligation to act appropriately. Something you libbertards will never understand.

Clinton had a consensual relationship with a fellatio slut, which should have been nobody's business. And yet they were able to use his "lie" about it--which he told in order to protect his privacy and the privacy of Lewinsky, in a sense an honorable lie, certainly not a self-serving one--
to cripple him politically.He was the POTUS. His behavior is our business. His lie was nobody's fault but his.

Meanwhile the very same people who tsked and shook their fingers at Clinton AND PROSECUTED HIM were committing similar or worse deceptions in their own lives which they never had to be held accountable for.You attack the ones who expose and prosecute this behavior and then bemoan the lack of more discovery of those who were not yet exposed? :rolleyes:

Until we allow our elected representatives to be adults and have an expectation of privacy in that, we are nothing but a bunch of salivating children who allow beasts to cheapen and poison our political discourse for their own aggrandizement. Wiener posted his pecker, not some political enemy. Up until then, his "privacy" was assured, especially since he is a DIM.

linda22003
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM
I never knew or cared about Anthony Weiner's private life. He's the one who dragged it into the public.

Adam Wood
06-07-2011, 09:29 AM
The word is "affect." :rolleyes: Wiener is a public figure and posted the offending Member of Congress himself. He has a professional obligation to act appropriately. Something you libbertards will never understand.*snicker*

They just write themselves, don't they?

pyackog
06-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Clinton had a consensual relationship with a fellatio slut, which should have been nobody's business. And yet they were able to use his "lie" about it--which he told in order to protect his privacy and the privacy of Lewinsky, in a sense an honorable lie, certainly not a self-serving one--
to cripple him politically.

Certainly not a self-serving one??? Are you fucking kidding me???

Novaheart
06-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Probably not, but then Weiner and Craig aren't exactly apples in an apples to apples comparison.

Craig voted consistently against gay rights and nondiscrimination laws. And then he got busted for soliciting sex in a mens room.

Weiner has not to my knowledge campaigned against internet flirting, nor has he done anything illegal.

FDK
06-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Probably not, but then Weiner and Craig aren't exactly apples in an apples to apples comparison.

Craig voted consistently against gay rights and nondiscrimination laws. And then he got busted for soliciting sex in a mens room.

Weiner has not to my knowledge campaigned against internet flirting, nor has he done anything illegal.

OK, maybe that particular one was a bad example - but I think you know what my point was.

NJCardFan
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Neither did Christopher Lee yet he was forced to resign. Why the double standard?

Dan D. Doty
06-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Neither did Christopher Lee yet he was forced to resign. Why the double standard?

Simple answer ...

Weiner's a Moonbat, DU can't hold him to the same standards as everyone else.

AmPat
06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
*snicker*

They just write themselves, don't they?

Yep. I took a little license with this one also:
Clinton had a consensual relationship with a fellatio slut, :eek:

Undies
06-07-2011, 10:56 PM

That has already happened. FDR and JFK come to mind. Wheelchairs and Bimbos. Democrats.

txradioguy
06-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Original message
When will we have a political system that protects the private lives of our Liberal representatives?

Fixt :cool:

movie buff
06-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey, idjut, when they go into politics it's part of the game.

Or (Though it wasn't a sex scandal) when the Palin email hacker was on trial. What he did was the epitome of violating Sarah Palin's privacy as well as putting her children at risk, yet liberals were portraying him as a noble hero for it and demanding his acquittal.

Elspeth
06-11-2011, 12:39 AM
I've got to add something here. As long as what a government official does is not illegal, a sex crime, or a form of coercion or harassment--in other words, as long as you have 2 consenting adults--I don't think it should have any affect on a politcian's career. I thought that Christopher Lee should not have resigned based on the attempt to commit adultery on Craig's list. I personally don't care if he commits adultery or not. I don't care if Weiner tweets his "thang" to adult women. However, when attorney generals or Senators use prostitutes (a crime in 49 states), when Congressmen harass underage pages of either gender, when lawmakers use their power to sexually harass or coerce people in their employ, then I have a major problem and think they should go. My bipartisan list goes like this:

Must resign and be prosecuted: Eliot Spitzer, David Vitter, Mark Foley, Eric Massa, Larry Craig, Bill Clinton (Monica was an employee, an underling.)

Annoying but no real reason to resign: Weiner*, Mark Sanford, Christopher Lee

*If Weiner tweeted his penis to a minor, then all bets are off here. He joins the former group.

You might disagree, but I think we need to distinguish crimes from those things that are merely distasteful.

txradioguy
06-11-2011, 04:22 AM
You might disagree, but I think we need to distinguish crimes from those things that are merely distasteful.

Wow the old typical Liberal "It's just sex" meme when a Liberal is involved.

:rolleyes:

AmPat
06-11-2011, 09:46 AM
How many of you would hire a man to rake your yard if you knew he sent pictures of his wiener to people via the internet? Why don't candidates run for office saying that they send Wiener shots for fun over the internet?

I suspect that even the most deviant among us know this is wrong and explains why the Wieners of the world try to keep this covered up. It is a character flaw to engage in this type deviance and attempting to use the "it's just sex" excuse is lame.

Undies
06-11-2011, 11:22 AM
How many of you would hire a man to rake your yard if you knew he sent pictures of his wiener to people via the internet? Why don't candidates run for office saying that they send Wiener shots for fun over the internet?

I suspect that even the most deviant among us know this is wrong and explains why the Wieners of the world try to keep this covered up. It is a character flaw to engage in this type deviance and attempting to use the "it's just sex" excuse is lame.

Amen to that. Wiener has serious judgment problems. He has no business being a Representative of any district.

Anyone can be replaced. Congress will not fall apart without Anthony Wiener. In fact, it will be better. The existing entitlement mentality of The Chosen makes me very angry.

NJCardFan
06-11-2011, 04:27 PM
So in your mind, moral standards should be extremely subjective. :rolleyes: And people wonder why our society is riding the rapids of Shit Creek.

txradioguy
06-12-2011, 03:56 AM
So in your mind, moral standards should be extremely subjective. :rolleyes: And people wonder why our society is riding the rapids of Shit Creek.

Liberals don't believe in black and white...right and wrong.

Just millions of shades of gray. :rolleyes: