PDA

View Full Version : Buy American Wednesday!

Gingersnap
06-08-2011, 09:57 AM
The heat has vanished so we'll be in the 70s the rest of the week. Those Fu Dogs I painted turned out fabulous!

TOTD: (This topic is aimed at the American members of CU but feel free to substitute your own country in the questions.) Do you even attempt to "buy American"? Do you use local sources for at least some things? Have you ever paid a little more to get a U.S.A.-made product instead of a slightly cheaper foreign version? Are you planning to buy more American products in the future?

Starbuck
06-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Where in th heck has the heat 'vanished'? That's where I want to be. Still upper 90's. Heat index above 100. Hot.

I don't buy American. I buy the best & the cheapest that fits the job.

linda22003
06-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I don't specifically buy American, but I do try hard not to buy Chinese.

Arroyo_Doble
06-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Yes to all. I buy American and local when I can.

It is odd how that is considered a "liberal" or even a "hippie" thing to do when not too long ago, it was sort of a patriotic conservative (at least where I grew up) trait. Remember Walmart's buy American campaign? How times have changed.

Gingersnap
06-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Yes to all. I buy American and local when I can.

It is odd how that is considered a "liberal" or even a "hippie" thing to do when not too long ago, it was sort of a patriotic conservative (at least where I grew up) trait. Remember Walmart's buy American campaign? How times have changed.

I don't know if people consider it a hippie-thing. I try to buy American and buy local whenever possible. Mr. Snaps is such a fanatic that he virtually refuses to even eat in a chain restaurant. He'll search out a family-operated place instead.

Arroyo_Doble
06-08-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't know if people consider it a hippie-thing. I try to buy American and buy local whenever possible. Mr. Snaps is such a fanatic that he virtually refuses to even eat in a chain restaurant. He'll search out a family-operated place instead.

We do that as well but will go to a chain occassionally.

SaintLouieWoman
06-08-2011, 11:51 AM

I guess that I'm that fanatical, as I hate the chains also. I'd much rather give the business to a local, not only to help the local community, but the food is generally much better and possibly more healthy.

We buy as much as we can local, patronizing the local Amish stores. I make a point of looking at labels to make sure that we're not buying Chinese, particularly with edible items. That includes things for the dogs, no Chinese made toys, rawhides, etc. It's tricky because so many places say "packed in the US" or "distributed in US". If it doesn't say the country of origin, I won't buy it.

I got Trader Joe's to finally admit that most of their dog treats are from China. They kept dodging the issue, saying "distributed in US".

NJCardFan
06-08-2011, 05:11 PM
Depends. I buy what's going to last me the longest. But when it comes to produce, I buy local because after all there's nothing better than Jersey produce.

Hawkgirl
06-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I buy mostly american when I can, but I will also buy european/canadian/south american.

I don't buy any Chinese products, EVER. Let's just say I have a bad history with Chinese products and refuse to give them any of my business. Actually, I don't buy from any asian countries, including thailand and vietnam. I saw a special on tv once that showed how they harvest shrimp in Thailand. No thanks, it's florida or new england seafood for me.

BadCat
06-08-2011, 05:58 PM
I "prefer" to buy American, with the caveat that I won't buy it if I know it was produced with union labor.

Rockntractor
06-09-2011, 12:54 AM
If it is a good product at a good price I buy it no matter who makes it, orphans make a lot of good products too!

djones520
06-09-2011, 02:57 AM
I "prefer" to buy American, with the caveat that I won't buy it if I know it was produced with union labor.

Bingo.

Like my car's. I'll buy Hyundai and Kia. Built in America, but not by Unions.

RobJohnson
06-09-2011, 03:17 AM

I heard a conservative radio host once say "if any place has a union it's because they deserve one" this was Don Wade of WLS in Chicago, as the parent company was trying to jerk him around and the union actually fixed the problem for him...

For the most part, I hate unions. But sometimes the skill level is much better and they have had some pretty good training... I have seen where they get the jobs done quicker, on time and under budget...but it takes some cooperation also...cooperation that would not come from a union like the UAW

I try to buy locally made, or made in America things....first off...the parts are cheaper and easier to get if something breaks, second off..I like to think I am helping povide jobs.

I have went so far to sign up on Angie's list and write reviews for a bunch of our local businesses, as when you put in our zip codes, Las Vegas vendors show up...I want to try and keep the sales tax and jobs in my town...I have wrote some big checks last fall and have been pleased with some local companies. Yesterday I was upset to see a neighbor had called a company from Vegas to look at her HVAC system...we have good guys here, and it would end up costing less.....

I've had a new a/c and heat pump, made in the USA and installed by a very good local guy. It was a big purchase and required a crane to get the thing on the roof and the old one off...

I simply think the quality control at some American factories are better.

Working in the car repair business....I can't tell you how bad aftermarket sheet metal parts are...the first problem is they come with lead primer which is illegal in the US...some of the junk auto zone and other places sell suck also.... Brake pads made in china? I'll pass...

I've been on both sides...union and non union....and do understand why some industries still have unions...I don't fully agree, but understand...

Back in my radical 20's even my watch was Made in the USA....I've mellowed out a little.

NJCardFan
06-09-2011, 06:30 AM
Bingo.

Like my car's. I'll buy Hyundai and Kia. Built in America, but not by Unions.

Funny you mention Kia. The wife and I had one and would complain about it, however, we had the car 10 years and only had normal wear and tear issues with it. It was a Sephia, which they don't even make anymore. Incidentally, Hyundai and Kia are the same company.

Kay
06-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Where in th heck has the heat 'vanished'?
That's where I want to be.
Still upper 90's. Heat index above 100.
Hot.

I'm melting and we still have wildfires daily.
It's been over 100 every day for a week.
Was 104 just awhile ago last looked.
The forecast for my 'hood: http://www.smileyshut.com/caldo1.gif

http://cbs7.com/data/upfiles/weather/7day.jpg

Hawkgirl
06-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Wow, and I complain when the south florida heat reaches the low 90's. We have high humidity in the summer. Do you?

Kay
06-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Wow, and I complain when the south florida heat reaches the low 90's. We have high humidity in the summer. Do you?

No our humidity is usually like anywhere from 1% to 11% :eek:
I have to say I'd rather be hot here than have your humid Florida heat.
I can barely even stand to go to central Texas anymore. I'll take the
West Texas oven heat any day over the hot humids.

Hawkgirl
06-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Since I have sinus issues, the humidity is great for me...while it may be uncomfortable at times, it's like having a free humidifier attached to the hip.

Also, my lifestyle makes the heat tolerable. I am always out on the boat, or at the beach, or by the pool. If I'm not IN water, I'm in air conditioned space.

It's not really that bad. I recall NY summers being worse as I didn't have the ocean within arm's reach up there.

MountainMan
06-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Depends. I buy what's going to last me the longest. But when it comes to produce, I buy local because after all there's nothing better than Jersey produce.

Right...Nothing says "healthy living" like a "Grown in New Jersey" sticker..... :rolleyes::D

linda22003
06-10-2011, 08:44 AM
Right...Nothing says "healthy living" like a "Grown in New Jersey" sticker..... :rolleyes::D

Their produce is a great memory from my childhood. When we would spend summers in Stone Harbor, a produce wagon would come around early every morning and we'd choose what we were going to use that day. I particularly remember small, sweet cantaloupes called "Jenny Linds"; I've never found them anywhere else and they were spectacular.

RobJohnson
06-14-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm melting and we still have wildfires daily.
It's been over 100 every day for a week.
Was 104 just awhile ago last looked.
The forecast for my 'hood: http://www.smileyshut.com/caldo1.gif

http://cbs7.com/data/upfiles/weather/7day.jpg

About the same here, humidity even hit 23% which is rare.