PDA

View Full Version : Woman who was attacked by berserk chimp gets full-face transplant

Gingersnap
06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Woman who was attacked by berserk chimp gets full-face transplant

By Douglas Stanglin, USA TODAY
Updated 49m ago

A Boston hospital has performed a full-face transplant on a Connecticut woman who was severely mauled by a pet chimpanzee in 2009, The Boston Globe reports.

Later today, Brigham and Women's Hospital plans to announce details of the 20-hour operation, which was performed last month on Charla Nash, The Globe says.

Hands transplants were also attempted, but failed to thrive and were removed.

Nash was attacked by a chimpanzee named Travis, who was owned by a friend in Stamford, Conn. The 200-pound animal went berserk and ripped off her hands, face, nose, lips and eyelids. Police shot and killed the chimpanzee.

Nash has been unable to eat or breathe normally and must rely on feeding and breathing tubes. The face transplant is designed to address those problems.

Good for her! I saw her pic last year and "disfigured" doesn't begin to describe what the animal did. Face transplants are for exactly this type of application.

USA Today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/06/woman-who-was-attacked-by-chimp-gets-full-face-transplant/1)

Rebel Yell
06-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Did they make her look like Travolta or Cage?

Gingersnap
06-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Did they make her look like Travolta or Cage?

I think she's just shooting for "human".

noonwitch
06-10-2011, 12:59 PM
She's a brave woman. Her daughter was on the Today Show this morning. I hope this really works for her. It's unfortunate that they can't restore her sight, also.

Chimpanzees are not pets.

Odysseus
06-10-2011, 02:09 PM
I think she's just shooting for "human".

That would pretty much rule out Travolta and Cage.

noonwitch
06-10-2011, 03:31 PM
That would pretty much rule out Travolta and Cage.

It's sad-Travolta was a really handsome young man.

Although I would never have called Cage handsome, Wild At Heart is one of my favorite movies, mostly because of his performance. And all the f@%$ing.

Rockntractor
06-10-2011, 05:52 PM
She is lucky to save face after all that monkey business!

Hawkgirl
06-10-2011, 06:22 PM
This was on "when animals attack" not too long ago.

Travis went into the home and died in his bedroom after the Police shot him. After he brutally attacked the owner's friend.

Odysseus
06-10-2011, 07:04 PM
It's sad-Travolta was a really handsome young man.

Although I would never have called Cage handsome, Wild At Heart is one of my favorite movies, mostly because of his performance. And all the f@%$ing.
I've never liked David Lynch, in part because of Wild at Heart, which was just incomprehensible to me.

She is lucky to save face after all that monkey business!

I'm told that when she was attacked, she said "Take your stinking paws off of me, you damned, dirty ape."