PDA

View Full Version : Gabrielle Giffords: First photos reflect Giffords' recovery

jendf
06-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Gabrielle Giffords: First photos reflect Giffords' recovery (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/06/12/20110612gabrielle-giffords-first-photos-released.html)

Today, the public gets its first look at Rep. Gabrielle Giffords since she was shot through the head Jan. 8 at a constituent event near Tucson.

Her staff provided two photographs to The Arizona Republic and also planned to share the images with the Arizona Daily Star and on Giffords' Facebook page. According to her staff, the decision to share them was made by Giffords and her husband, Mark Kelly, who hope the photos will help Giffords avoid the glare of camera lenses when she begins outpatient therapy later this month.

The goal was to satisfy "public curiosity about her appearance," said C.J. Karamargin, Giffords' communications director. "We want to avoid a paparazzi situation."

The photographs were taken on May 17 in the hours before Giffords' cranioplasty surgery by P.K. Weis of SouthwestPhotoBank.com, who photographed Giffords in the garden of the Houston rehab hospital where she is recovering. Weis, the former photo editor of the Tucson Citizen, is also Giffords' friend and said the photos were not altered.

The images depict Giffords alone and with her mother, Gloria Giffords. Her face shows almost no visible vestige of the bullet, which pierced her forehead, traveled through the left side of her brain, and exited her head. Her left eye appears slightly smaller than her right eye, likely because a piece of Giffords' skull was still missing when this photo was taken, her staff explained. The cranioplasty has since repaired her skull. In the photo, her brown hair has grown since it was shaved by Tucson doctors, and it covers surgical scars on her scalp. There is a scar at her throat left by a tracheotomy. Around her neck, she wears her husband's wedding ring on a chain.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/06/12/20110612gabrielle-giffords-first-photos-released.html#ixzz1P4dFJESD

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4866/gabbyd.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/146/gabbyd.jpg/)

Phillygirl
06-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I saw the pictures on the news this morning. I think it's remarkable how fantastic she looks, considering what she's gone through.

jendf
06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I saw the pictures on the news this morning. I think it's remarkable how fantastic she looks, considering what she's gone through.

I was amazed at how great she looked. And then I felt bad. I was expecting something way worse. I'm really thrilled to hear her recovery is going so well.

I don't think she will be able to serve in congress any more, but I think she's going to be able to live a really great life. And after the trauma she's been through, I think that's incredible.

Bubba Dawg
06-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Thoughts and prayers for her. She looks remarkably well for what she's gone through.

wilbur
06-12-2011, 02:12 PM
She does look amazing.... the haircut and the bald spot is about the only indicator that something was ever wrong with her.

I don't think she will go back to congress either...

But if she does, c'mon fellow republicans, she's a D (and I don't mean bra size!)

Put her in the crosshairs, take aim, and shoot! :)

Phillygirl
06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
I was amazed at how great she looked. And then I felt bad. I was expecting something way worse. I'm really thrilled to hear her recovery is going so well.

I don't think she will be able to serve in congress any more, but I think she's going to be able to live a really great life. And after the trauma she's been through, I think that's incredible.

I had the same range of thoughts. It really was pleasing, though, to see that she looked far better than I had imagined. What a blessing for her family that she has survived this horror.

Bubba Dawg
06-12-2011, 02:15 PM
She does look amazing.... the haircut and the bald spot is about the only indicator that something was ever wrong with her.

But if she does, c'mon fellow republicans, she's a D (and I don't mean bra size!)

Crass and stupid Wilbur.

wilbur
06-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Crass and stupid Wilbur.

Well, yes....

... but remember, I wasnt the author of that rhetoric. I blatantly copied:)

Rockntractor
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM

That is enough of your trolling for awhile. Take some time off, that was in extremely poor taste in a good will thread.

Bailey
06-12-2011, 02:26 PM

Just when you cant get be anymore of a douche in my eyes you just go out and out do yourself.

Rockntractor
06-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Just when you cant get be anymore of a douche in my eyes you just go out and out do yourself.

That will be his final performance for a long while.

Bailey
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
That will be his final performance for a long while.

How many chances should he get?

Phillygirl
06-12-2011, 02:37 PM

You are a jackass.

Apache
06-12-2011, 02:59 PM
You are a jackass.

Agreed.

Zathras
06-12-2011, 04:03 PM
How many chances should he get?

No more IMO.

Bailey
06-12-2011, 04:20 PM
No more IMO.

I understand you have to keep a few liberal chew toys around and gay for all the women on the board to be friends with but come on.

JB
06-12-2011, 05:20 PM
You are a jackass.I think he's just making a commentary on what Palin said after Palin did that crosshairs thing on her website a while back.

I don't think Wilbur meant to be taken literally with that post. I don't recall him ever advocating violence during his time here.

Rockntractor
06-12-2011, 05:51 PM
I think he's just making a commentary on what Palin said after Palin did that crosshairs thing on her website a while back.

I don't think Wilbur meant to be taken literally with that post. I don't recall him ever advocating violence during his time here.

This thread isn't about Sara Palin, it was a thread wishing Gabby well and happy for her recovery.
Wilbur was being a complete ass here taking shots at us and everyone knows it.
You think it's your job to second guess every decision I make, If you have comments on the topic fine, stick to that. If you have complaints about moderation send a PM.

Zathras
06-12-2011, 06:08 PM
I understand you have to keep a few liberal chew toys around and gay for all the women on the board to be friends with but come on.

Wilbur brings nothing to this board. He should be gone permenantly, end of story.

JB
06-12-2011, 06:11 PM
You think it's your job to second guess every decision I make, If you have comments on the topic fine, stick to that. If you have complaints about moderation send a PM.Dude, I didn't say a damned thing about your moderation or that he was banned. I replied to phillygirl with my interpretation of wilburs post.

I don't care if you ban him or un-ban him.

megimoo
06-12-2011, 06:23 PM
Gabrielle Giffords: First photos reflect Giffords' recovery (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/06/12/20110612gabrielle-giffords-first-photos-released.html)

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/4866/gabbyd.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/146/gabbyd.jpg/)

From the depression on the side of her head it looks as if they removed quite a bit of her damaged dura mater to stop the internal hemorrhaging .Thank GOD she's alive and was able to survive the blunt gunshot trauma .Her right eye is quite a bit larger and she may have lost her eye sight ..

Rockntractor
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
From the depression on the side of her head it looks as if they removed quite a bit of her damaged dura mater to stop the internal hemorrhaging .Thank GOD she's alive and was able to survive the blunt gunshot trauma .Her right eye is quite a bit larger and she may have lost her eye sight ..

She is in a lot of peoples prayers and God works miracles, she has been through a lot, but she looks remarkable.

megimoo
06-12-2011, 06:47 PM
She is in a lot of peoples prayers and God works miracles, she has been through a lot, but she looks remarkable.She'll never be able to go back to the Congress after that trama.She'll need a lot of rest and quiet for the rest of her life.

Rockntractor
06-12-2011, 06:49 PM
She'll never be able to go back to the Congress after that trama.She'll need a lot of rest and quiet for the rest of her life.

I think you are probably right, but I think she'll recover enough to have a very high quality of life.

Odysseus
06-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I don't know that she won't be able to resume her duties. She doesn't seem to have suffered any cognitive damage, and any communication or motor issues can be dealt with. Hopefully, these won't be too bad.

I think he's just making a commentary on what Palin said after Palin did that crosshairs thing on her website a while back.

Wilbur was simply using the opportunity to express his contempt for the rest of us. He is motivated by a faith in the one true Wilbur, and his moral and intellectual superiority over us poor, benighted slobs. I won't miss him.

megimoo
06-12-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't know that she won't be able to resume her duties. She doesn't seem to have suffered any cognitive damage, and any communication or motor issues can be dealt with. Hopefully, these won't be too bad.

Wilbur was simply using the opportunity to express his contempt for the rest of us. He is motivated by a faith in the one true Wilbur, and his moral and intellectual superiority over us poor, benighted slobs. I won't miss him.
Hopefully he'll return to Mount Olympus and rejoin his father Zeus .

Arroyo_Doble
06-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Wilbur was simply using the opportunity to express his contempt for the rest of us.

I have come to understand that the thing people, especially women, hate most of all is a mirror.

megimoo
06-12-2011, 10:04 PM
I have come to understand that the thing people, especially women, hate most of all is a mirror.

You seem especially obtuse this evening ?

Odysseus
06-12-2011, 10:50 PM
snark snark snark.

Wilbur only came into this thread, in which everyone else was expressing best wished for Giffords' recovery, and made a vicious, uncalled for and ugly partisan attack based on his own contempt for everyone here. At best, Wilbur is a funhouse mirror, whose surface is as warped as he is, and whose distorted reflections expose his own failings, not ours.

Phillygirl
06-12-2011, 11:08 PM

I agree with your assessment of Wilbur's point. I just think the place that it was made was inappropriate. No true conservative took Sarah's statement about crosshairs or targets literally as an invitation to shoot the opposition, and bringing that up in the middle of a thread where people are (I believe) honestly wishing her well in her recovery was just crass politics.

Kay
06-12-2011, 11:38 PM
I understand you have to keep a few liberal chew toys around
and gay for all the women on the board to be friends with but come on.

....wtf

I have come to understand that the thing people,
especially women,hate most of all is a mirror.

As if either of you had a clue on understanding women. :rolleyes:

I won't miss Wilbur. I'm glad to see him gone.

Kay
06-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Mrs. Giffords looks really great in the photos. Much better than I was
expecting. I wish her the best for a full recovery and productive life.

3rd-try
06-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Any civilized person wishes Gifford the best.....But, between Weiner and now this, our MSM is doing a bang up job at keeping all the negative economic news off the front page....

Oh, and Wilbur.....you suck.

Bailey
06-13-2011, 07:54 AM
Any civilized person wishes Gifford the best.....But, between Weiner and now this, our MSM is doing a bang up job at keeping all the negative economic news off the front page....

Oh, and Wilbur.....you suck.

Isn't it amazing how all that negative news is being buried?

Bailey
06-13-2011, 07:56 AM
Wilbur only came into this thread, in which everyone else was expressing best wished for Giffords' recovery, and made a vicious, uncalled for and ugly partisan attack based on his own contempt for everyone here. At best, Wilbur is a funhouse mirror, whose surface is as warped as he is, and whose distorted reflections expose his own failings, not ours.

LOL love the name change.

Bailey
06-13-2011, 07:57 AM
....wtf

As if either of you had a clue on understanding women. :rolleyes:

I won't miss Wilbur. I'm glad to see him gone.

whoops I meant a certain and select group that just love NH to pieces and I'll leave it at that.

noonwitch
06-13-2011, 08:51 AM
She'll never be able to go back to the Congress after that trama.She'll need a lot of rest and quiet for the rest of her life.

That's not necessarily true. It's amazing how far neurology has come in the past 30 years or so. I know someone who was shot in the head a while ago, and he returned to pretty close to normal functioning after a recovery period.

I'm glad that she (Giffords) is doing so well.

Odysseus
06-13-2011, 10:40 AM
That's not necessarily true. It's amazing how far neurology has come in the past 30 years or so. I know someone who was shot in the head a while ago, and he returned to pretty close to normal functioning after a recovery period.

I'm glad that she (Giffords) is doing so well.

Neurology has made great strides, especially in the last decade, thanks to Iraq and IEDs. Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury in theater and CONUS has become much more advanced, with people surviving and recovering from traumas that would have been fatal just a few years ago. I won't say that it has become routine, but the sheer volume of new, safe treatments is mindboggling, and even behavioral disorders resulting from TBI can be corrected with minimally invasive procedures.

Wilbur really has no excuse for not getting his sociopathic narcissism checked out.

noonwitch
06-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Wilbur really has no excuse for not getting his sociopathic narcissism checked out.

I don't know why he chose this topic to be such an ass over, when everyone seems to be pretty happy about Gifford's recovery-it hardly seems appropriate to make politically-charged comments on this topic.

Odysseus
06-13-2011, 11:43 AM
I don't know why he chose this topic to be such an ass over, when everyone seems to be pretty happy about Gifford's recovery-it hardly seems appropriate to make politically-charged comments on this topic.

Show me a topic where he hasn't chosen to be an ass. It's his nature.

Giffords will recover, and hopefully, she will be able to go back to congress. I disagree with a lot of her positions, but from everything that I've been able to find out about her, she's a decent and honorable public servant. She didn't deserve this, and the people who have tried to exploit it for political gain are the kind of bottom feeding lowlives that the body politic could do without.

NJCardFan
06-13-2011, 02:55 PM

Even though this idiot is banned, what an idiotic thing to say. But then again, par for the course for this shitstain.

Hawkgirl
06-13-2011, 06:51 PM
Wilbur/libs...they don't have a modicum of decency

I'm glad to see Giffords doing well.

The Night Owl
08-04-2011, 12:37 PM
You seem especially obtuse this evening ?

Obtuse? I thought the comment was exceptionally concise.

txradioguy
08-04-2011, 03:05 PM

Of course you do. Bless your heart.

Rockntractor
08-04-2011, 03:47 PM

You are not very smart troll, Wilbur's banned, get over it, leave it alone or you are next.