PDA

View Full Version : Medical benefits

Phillygirl
06-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Does anybody know what criteria you must meet in order to qualify for medical benefits as a veteran? In particular, I'm looking for help with a Vietnam veteran...served 4 years, currently has private medical insurance but it will probably not cover all the medical expenses that he has and some of the referrals now are out of network. Does he qualify for any type of medical assistance through his veteran status?

pyackog
06-15-2011, 02:47 PM
I think Tri-care should take care of him, at least as a supplemental plan.

Phillygirl
06-15-2011, 02:50 PM
I think Tri-care should take care of him, at least as a supplemental plan.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I'm going to see about how to get him signed up.

Kay
06-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Shouldn't he be eligible for VA services?

Phillygirl
06-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Shouldn't he be eligible for VA services?

I would think so. He has medical insurance, so he never really bothered with it. But he really should be receiving disability for the illness. He finally put in a claim a couple of weeks ago, but I'm sure that will take time. I'm looking into Veterans Benefits to handle potential co-pays because the referred docs may be out of network for his primary insurance and the treatment is probably going to be pretty expensive.

Odysseus
06-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Does anybody know what criteria you must meet in order to qualify for medical benefits as a veteran? In particular, I'm looking for help with a Vietnam veteran...served 4 years, currently has private medical insurance but it will probably not cover all the medical expenses that he has and some of the referrals now are out of network. Does he qualify for any type of medical assistance through his veteran status?

Tri-care is for current military and dependents. As a Vietnam vet, he is entitled to VA benefits. If he has his DD-214, that should be all the documentation that he needs. Here is the page to apply for health benefits: https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/

Phillygirl
06-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Tri-care is for current military and dependents. As a Vietnam vet, he is entitled to VA benefits. If he has his DD-214, that should be all the documentation that he needs. Here is the page to apply for health benefits: https://www.1010ez.med.va.gov/sec/vha/1010ez/

Thanks. I had downloaded that. I'm not certain of the terminology of "retired military" versus veteran, but I eventually got to that page.

djones520
06-16-2011, 05:43 AM
Thanks. I had downloaded that. I'm not certain of the terminology of "retired military" versus veteran, but I eventually got to that page.

Retired is the 20+ years, or those who were "medically retired". If they voluntarily seperated before that 20 year point, then they most likely will not be entitled to use Tricare. But they will have access to the VA.

Phillygirl
06-16-2011, 08:22 AM
Retired is the 20+ years, or those who were "medically retired". If they voluntarily seperated before that 20 year point, then they most likely will not be entitled to use Tricare. But they will have access to the VA.

Thanks. It really is confusing to me, and probably there won't be time for any of this to actually kick in, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Odysseus
06-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks. It really is confusing to me, and probably there won't be time for any of this to actually kick in, but I thought I'd give it a try anyway.

Actually, the eligibility checks are pretty quick. VA's administrative work is fairly efficient.

Phillygirl
06-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Actually, the eligibility checks are pretty quick. VA's administrative work is fairly efficient.

Thanks for the info. The disability application was sent about a month ago and there's been no news about it. But he does have coverage, and may even have a waiver for the out of network fees because of the lack of availability for the treatment in network. Since it's a "blue water" claim, though, I anticipate some serious redtape that will probably outlast his life expectancy at this point.

Odysseus
06-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info. The disability application was sent about a month ago and there's been no news about it. But he does have coverage, and may even have a waiver for the out of network fees because of the lack of availability for the treatment in network. Since it's a "blue water" claim, though, I anticipate some serious redtape that will probably outlast his life expectancy at this point.

Have him do the phone contact. Explain that he has an emergency, and needs his eligibility expedited, and tell them why. They will work with him. If he has a problem, PM me and I will see if I can help.

TraceeJ
03-16-2012, 01:27 PM
My father has VA benefits as a Vietnam vet. It's one thing he can count on. He also is on Medicare now but the VA benefits pick up any of the costs that Medicare doesn't. I'd have him call the VA office as they are usually helpful for my dad.

Zeus
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Any Veteran is Eligible to use or avail themselves to a VA facility. They means test you though. No charge to 100% service connected disabled and even those not at 100% get covered disabilities looked after at no cost.

Myself am not at 100% but get covered for Psychiatric services , eye problems, hearing problems, dentures, neck & back.