PDA

View Full Version : Local Mother Sentenced For Spanking

megimoo
06-15-2011, 08:32 PM
CORPUS CHRISTI - Spanking your kids can send you to jail. This week, a local woman avoided jail time, but her case made it clear that local prosecutors and judges will not tolerate what used to be a much more accepted practice.

Back in December, police arrested Rosalina Gonzales for Injury to a Child, related to the spanking of her daughter, who was nearly two years old at the time. It was her daughter's grandmother who noticed red marks on the child's rear end, and took her to Driscoll Children's Hospital to be checked out. Wednesday, Gonzales was in court...

http://www.kristv.com/news/local-mother-sentenced-for-spanking/#.Tfkfh94ey0o;facebookHe

MrsSmith
06-15-2011, 11:14 PM
CORPUS CHRISTI - Spanking your kids can send you to jail. This week, a local woman avoided jail time, but her case made it clear that local prosecutors and judges will not tolerate what used to be a much more accepted practice.

Back in December, police arrested Rosalina Gonzales for Injury to a Child, related to the spanking of her daughter, who was nearly two years old at the time. It was her daughter's grandmother who noticed red marks on the child's rear end, and took her to Driscoll Children's Hospital to be checked out. Wednesday, Gonzales was in court...

http://www.kristv.com/news/local-mother-sentenced-for-spanking/#.Tfkfh94ey0o;facebookHe

I have spanked kids quite a few times...but I have never, ever left marks on their butts. Especially not at 2 years of age. Two year old kids are a handful, but hitting hard enough to leave marks isn't the way to teach them anything, it's a way for Mom to work off steam.

noonwitch
06-16-2011, 08:29 AM
The CPS standard generally is if there are marks, it's considered abuse. Not the red mark from a hand that goes away after an hour, but the kind that are still there the next day at school, or when the CPS worker gets to see the kid.

Gingersnap
06-16-2011, 10:13 AM
If the kid was hit hard enough to leave marks hours later then the mom was using way to much force. The value of spanking is more in the humilation and momentary sting than anything else.

Phillygirl
06-16-2011, 10:20 AM
A 2 year old is usually in diapers, so a smack on the bum should not only not leave a mark, but really shouldn't hurt anything but his feelings.

pyackog
06-16-2011, 10:25 AM
A 2 year old is usually in diapers, so a smack on the bum should not only not leave a mark, but really shouldn't hurt anything but his feelings.

Exactly although I admit to a couple of times spanking my kids a bit too hard right after potty training and I was used to them having the extra padding...:o