PDA

View Full Version : With 1.2 Billion People, India Seeks a Good Hangman

megimoo
06-16-2011, 03:31 PM
India has 1.2 billion people, among them bankers, gurus, rag pickers, billionaires, snake charmers, software engineers, lentil farmers, rickshaw drivers, Maoist rebels, Bollywood movie stars and Vedic scholars, to name a few. Humanity runneth over. Except in one profession: India is searching for a hangman. Usually, India would not need one, given the rarity of executions. The last was in 2004. But in May, India’s president unexpectedly rejected a last-chance mercy petition from a convicted murderer in the Himalayan state of Assam. Prison officials, compelled to act, issued a call for a hangman. No one answered. Not initially.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/world/asia/14india.html?_r=1&ref=asia

CueSi
06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
How many languages/dialects would one have to learn?

~QC

noonwitch
06-16-2011, 04:10 PM

~QC

Are you interested in applying for the job? It's India, english is probably sufficient for a job that doesn't require much talking. Most middle and upper class Indians speak english, because they were educated at British-run schools.

CueSi
06-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Are you interested in applying for the job? It's India, english is probably sufficient for a job that doesn't require much talking. Most middle and upper class Indians speak english, because they were educated at British-run schools.

Nah, I just got a new job! :p But my brother is recently unemployed.

Though there are no goals or quotas with being the hangman (unlike my present job), most criminals probably don't speak English as a first language.

~QC

Arroyo_Doble
06-16-2011, 04:23 PM
The downside to being an executioner is your soul owns the killing.

Rockntractor
06-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Did the convict work in a tech support call center?:confused:

Articulate_Ape
06-16-2011, 04:46 PM

~QC

None and you only have to know how to tie one knot and be strong enough to pull one lever.

Rockntractor
06-16-2011, 05:12 PM
None and you only have to know how to tie one knot and be strong enough to pull one lever.

I would deliberately mispronounce every word I said to him.

Odysseus
06-16-2011, 06:32 PM
The downside to being an executioner is your soul owns the killing.

Some people are in need of execution. My soul doesn't have a problem with that.

Arroyo_Doble
06-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Some people are in need of execution. My soul doesn't have a problem with that.

A great many souls don't.

Odysseus
06-16-2011, 06:53 PM

And who are you to judge mine?

NJCardFan
06-16-2011, 06:57 PM
How about this guy?
http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/m/mbjle3tD-HO6Gkb5UDjW-Cw/140.jpg

Articulate_Ape
06-16-2011, 07:25 PM

Hell, I'd hang you, if the pay was right. And your point was?

Madisonian
06-16-2011, 08:18 PM

I got about $1.68 in a coffee cup. Close enough?

Adam Wood
06-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Did the convict work in a tech support call center?:confused:

I would deliberately mispronounce every word I said to him.Rock wins the thread.

LOL!

"Too day I amm gong to hang yu. Boot first, please try a shutdown and a reee-boot, plees."

Odysseus
06-16-2011, 09:11 PM

I got about $1.68 in a coffee cup. Close enough?

I've got six months of back pay for for my promotion coming. How much do you want?*

* No actual persons will be harmed as a result of this thread. Offer is for humorous purposes only. **

** Lawyers suck.

Articulate_Ape
06-16-2011, 11:54 PM
I've got six months of back pay for for my promotion coming. How much do you want?*

* No actual persons will be harmed as a result of this thread. Offer is for humorous purposes only. **

** Lawyers suck.

Right on. We'd give him a fair trial before we hung him. We're good that way. :D