PDA

View Full Version : Senate votes to end $6 billion in ethanol subsidies (73-27)

megimoo
06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – The Senate voted overwhelmingly on Thursday to eliminate billions of dollars in support for the U.S. ethanol industry, sending a strong message that the era of taxpayer support for biofuels is ending. The Senate in a 73-27 vote approved an amendment to end the 45-cent-a-gallon subsidy the government gives refiners and the 54-cent-per-gallon tariff on imported ethanol, which would be a boon to a major ethanol-producing country such as Brazil that makes ethanol from sugarcane. The Senate measure still faces a long road to becoming final. The White House issued a statement saying it was against a...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_senate_ethanol

Apocalypse
06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I was listening to our local Conserv. talk radio guy this morning and he basically said this is DOA on the house floor by law. Because all budget bills that deal with revenue must originate from the House and not the Senate. So this was nothing more then a pony and dog show for voters.

Rockntractor
06-16-2011, 08:17 PM
I was listening to our local Conserv. talk radio guy this morning and he basically said this is DOA on the house floor by law. Because all budget bills that deal with revenue must originate from the House and not the Senate. So this was nothing more then a pony and dog show for voters.

Drat!:mad:

Articulate_Ape
06-17-2011, 12:13 AM

This is not a revenue bill, it is a spending bill.

Rockntractor
06-17-2011, 12:15 AM

Undrat?:confused:

djones520
06-17-2011, 12:16 AM

How so? It's going to increase revenue by increasing taxes.

fettpett
06-17-2011, 10:31 AM
How so? It's going to increase revenue by increasing taxes.

how is it a tax increase?

this is a good thing, it means that less of that shit will be in my car's tank

Articulate_Ape
06-17-2011, 11:26 AM
How so? It's going to increase revenue by increasing taxes. No, it is eliminating subsidies.

sub·si·dy   
[suhb-si-dee]
–noun, plural -dies.

1. a direct pecuniary aid furnished by a government to a private industrial undertaking, a charity organization, or the like.

2. a sum paid, often in accordance with a treaty, by one government to another to secure some service in return.

3.a grant or contribution of money.

lacarnut
06-17-2011, 11:35 AM

It is both. On the revenue side the government will no longer take in the 54 cents per gallon tariff on imported Ethanol from Brazil.

wineslob
06-17-2011, 02:09 PM
Now they need to get rid of subsidies for solar, windmills, any greeine crap out there.