PDA

View Full Version : Conditional love

Phillygirl
06-18-2011, 05:38 PM
What would it take for you to disown your own child? A drug problem? Being homosexual? A rapist? An abortion?

What conduct, if engaged in by your offspring, would cause you to stop giving him/her your unconditional love?

Rockntractor
06-18-2011, 05:47 PM
Maybe if it said it was going to law school.

MrsSmith
06-18-2011, 06:12 PM
If one of my kids deliberately beat/tortured one of my grandkids to death...or allowed someone else to do that. That's about all I can think of. I doubt I have anything to worry about, none of my kids could deliberately torture any child - or anyone else - to death...or stand by and let that happen.

Articulate_Ape
06-18-2011, 06:16 PM
What conduct, if engaged in by your offspring, would cause you to stop giving him/her your unconditional love?

That depends.

Rockntractor
06-18-2011, 06:17 PM
If one of my kids deliberately beat/tortured one of my grandkids to death...or allowed someone else to do that. That's about all I can think of. I doubt I have anything to worry about, none of my kids could deliberately torture any child - or anyone else - to death...or stand by and let that happen.

What if one of them sold their soul to Satan and became a lawyer?:eek:

MrsSmith
06-18-2011, 06:23 PM
What if one of them sold their soul to Satan and became a lawyer?:eek:

:D:D I wouldn't mind having a lawyer in the family. That might save us some legal costs!!

megimoo
06-18-2011, 06:41 PM
:D:D I wouldn't mind having a lawyer in the family. That might save us some legal costs!!What have you done for me lately ...mom ?

Novaheart
06-18-2011, 07:42 PM
What would it take for you to disown your own child? A drug problem? Being homosexual? A rapist? An abortion?

I'm not sure that there is a concrete answer, because anger passes. One of my siblings (not Celeste) did something in 1990 that hurt me deeply. I was forced to see her on a fairly regular basis, but I remained distant. I can't remember if she apologized or not, but when my father had his first heart attack, I let my anger go because the only thing actually still in play was my feelings. I don't think I ever stopped loving her, I was just terribly hurt at what she had done, and that passed. I'm incompetent at holding a grudge anyway. When my best friend and I have a blow-up , it annoys me because often minutes later I'll think of something funny I want to tell him. We've known each other since junior high and can say really play rough, stuff normal people would never speak to each other again over. We'll go a few days not talking, and then he'll call to tell me about a human stampede in Mecca and we'll laugh our asses off.

JB
06-18-2011, 08:02 PM
What conduct, if engaged in by your offspring, would cause you to stop giving him/her your unconditional love?Interesting topic. Can't say I can answer it right now though. Other than to say it would have to be quite dastardly.
I wouldn't mind having a lawyer in the family.I do. It's quite convenient.

NJCardFan
06-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Become a child molester. That's a start.

Novaheart
06-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Our society views murder as pretty much the worst thing you can do. Yet, mothers visit sons in prison, and not all of the mom's are in denial about what their sons have done.

I watched a documentary about a young man in an Alabama prison for killing his infant child. He was intoxicated at the time, but he got such a long sentence because he did something that would be out of character for the most intoxicated normal person. His father had pretty much written him off, but his grandmother was hoping one day he would be released and allowed to return while she was still alive. She belonged to some backwoods church, seriously backwoods, and the minister of that church said that the entire church prayed for the young man every day, that they continued to love him, and that they would welcome him back into the fold when he was released from jail. He went on to paraphrase the predicable parts of the Bible underlying this position.

Rockntractor
06-18-2011, 11:24 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/shirley-temple-1936.jpg

Rockntractor
06-18-2011, 11:36 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/01125108Par21918ImageFile.jpg

Bailey
06-18-2011, 11:39 PM

Being gay or a murderer.

CueSi
06-19-2011, 02:05 AM
Become a child molester. That's a start.

Pretty much this I think is the case with my parents.

My dad actually figured out my sexuality, and he still loves me. I promised him that I wouldn't cause angry husbands to call the house, and that he wouldn't tell my mother.

I honestly don't know how she would take it. It would probably break her heart and she'd probably try to pray or cure it. . .but believe me, I willingly tried and failed multiple times. I don't think my sexuality could be the force to withdraw her love. I'd consider her a lesser person for that.

~QC

djones520
06-19-2011, 03:20 AM
I will always love my children. No condition could ever change that.

Certain actions would drive them away from me, possibly cause me to "forsake" them, cut off all relations. I hope I never have to face that situation... but nothing could ever stop me from loving them.

Constitutionally Speaking
06-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Nothing could make me stop loving my child. That does not mean I won't disapprove of things he does upon occasion, but stop loving him??? Never.

Starbuck
06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Don't kid yourself. Love can always be destroyed, and I know of several parents that have gone bankrupt and even gone to prison (10 years in Texas) because they were 'supporting their kids'. It sometimes is a matter of seeing a fairly lousy human being (in this case your child) for what they are.

I have a daughter I no longer love. That doesn't mean she would not be welcome in our house, because she would be. Doesn't mean I'm going to be cruel to her, because I'm not.
I don't hate her; haven't 'disowned' her (Whatever that means to everyone). Fact is, I rarely even think of her.
I think that is love destroyed. It can happen. You jack around long enough and people will just get over you.

noonwitch
06-20-2011, 08:57 AM
I don't have any kids, but I would guess having a kid who became a psycho of whatever sort-con man of old ladies, sex offender, etc., would be about where I would have to cut off contact. I don't know if I'd stop loving the kid, though, that would be the point where I wouldn't be able to deal with him or her anymore.

Gingersnap
06-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Don't kid yourself. Love can always be destroyed, and I know of several parents that have gone bankrupt and even gone to prison (10 years in Texas) because they were 'supporting their kids'. It sometimes is a matter of seeing a fairly lousy human being (in this case your child) for what they are.

I have a daughter I no longer love. That doesn't mean she would not be welcome in our house, because she would be. Doesn't mean I'm going to be cruel to her, because I'm not.
I don't hate her; haven't 'disowned' her (Whatever that means to everyone). Fact is, I rarely even think of her.
I think that is love destroyed. It can happen. You jack around long enough and people will just get over you.

I think this is more common than people like to think and it runs both ways. There's no dramatic "Get thee behind me, Satan" moment, there's no big confrontation - there's just an ever increasing distance until the relationship becomes functionally meaningless.

It can also happen that parents still love a child but they can no longer put themselves at risk by interacting with the child. :(

Speedy
06-20-2011, 03:10 PM
I have 3 daughters who I love very much, but my oldest has had some issues lately. Mostly money issues. She was for a time taking money from my mom. Not stealing, but asking her for money because my mom would not say, "No." It got to the point that my mom took out a couple of loans just to give her money. She convimced my mom to place her Suburban in my daughter's name. A couple of months later she asked my mom to borrow the suburban and then she sold it.

I took over my mom's finances. I have her checkbooks. I have her debit cards. I give her an allowance, pay her bills. This caused a row with my daughter when she tried to get money from my mom and couldn't. She came to me and I said no. I will always say no until she gets her spending in line and under control.

linda22003
06-20-2011, 03:15 PM
It sounds to me like she basically stole the car. :(

Speedy
06-20-2011, 03:34 PM
It sounds to me like she basically stole the car. :(

She does well in her job and life but cannot control her spending. You would think that a job as an RN and her disability check from the VA would provide more than enough.

linda22003
06-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Some people have trouble with money, but stealing from Grandma is low. As to Grandma not being able to say no... Dave Ramsey says that's like giving a drunk a drink. :(

Shannon
06-20-2011, 03:51 PM
Some people have trouble with money, but stealing from Grandma is low. As to Grandma not being able to say no... Dave Ramsey says that's like giving a drunk a drink. :(

I'll always give a drunk a drink (unless it was my kid ;)) but that woman needs to be slapped for stealing her grandma's car...and yeah, that's what she did.