PDA

View Full Version : Teenage Flash Mob Robberies on the Rise

megimoo
06-18-2011, 07:12 PM
The same technologies that for years have brought together the mostly benign and goofy "flash mobs," in which groups suddenly break into dance at a mall or stumble around like zombies at train stations, is being used to plan and execute bold robberies.

Called “flash robs,” these crimes are being organized by young teenagers through various social media outlets, most notably Twitter. Police say the suspects select a time and place and enter the store in droves taking what they want and leaving before security or police can catch them.

Some of the most brazen robberies take place in the light of day and on busy streets despite all the security cameras and the watchful eyes of workers.

“Young people are risk takers; they do things in groups far more than adults do. A medium like Twitter plays into the characteristics of young person’s behavior,” Scott Decker, a professor of criminology at Arizona State University, told FoxNews.com.

Because of these flash plots, police have begun to more closely monitor social media sites, reports the Chicago Sun Times.

The pack mentality emboldens the thieves to strike fast, so fast that the store clerks don’t have time to react.

“Over 90 percent of crimes committed by young people are done so in a group,” Decker told FoxNews.com
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/06/18/top-five-most-brazen-flash-mob-robberies/

Novaheart
06-18-2011, 07:50 PM
It will be interesting to see how stores adapt to protect themselves. Undoubtedly there will be howls from "community leaders" and "progressives" about any effort to defend property.

NJCardFan
06-18-2011, 09:05 PM
This works wonders against flash mobs:
http://images.wikia.com/rainbowsix/images/d/dc/Shotgun_Mossberg_590.jpg

KhrushchevsShoe
06-18-2011, 09:49 PM
This works wonders against flash mobs:
http://images.wikia.com/rainbowsix/images/d/dc/Shotgun_Mossberg_590.jpg

Well you cant just go walking around the street with your shotgun. This little Flash Mob crime thing hit Chicago a week or so ago, the cops increased foot patrols and got more officers out on the street and its gone down big time.

NJCardFan
06-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Well you cant just go walking around the street with your shotgun. This little Flash Mob crime thing hit Chicago a week or so ago, the cops increased foot patrols and got more officers out on the street and its gone down big time.

However, if I owned a store and one of those mobs came in and started acting the fool, that, above, is what would kindly ask them to leave. If they refused, then the above Mossberg would insist. And if they caused any damage, Mr. Mossberg would take it out of their asses. Nothing stings like buckshot.

KhrushchevsShoe
06-18-2011, 10:57 PM
They dont go into stores though really.

Sorry.

Novaheart
06-18-2011, 11:00 PM

Mob robberies have been going on for some time now. The first I recall was the one in DC at Universal Gear. They happened in other stores in the better shopping districts at about the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlwM_P_7iRc

megimoo
06-19-2011, 12:02 AM
However, if I owned a store and one of those mobs came in and started acting the fool, that, above, is what would kindly ask them to leave. If they refused, then the above Mossberg would insist. And if they caused any damage, Mr. Mossberg would take it out of their asses. Nothing stings like buckshot.Birdshot stings...buckshot kills..

NJCardFan
06-19-2011, 01:54 AM
Birdshot stings...buckshot kills..

You say tomato I say tomahto.

lacarnut
06-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Birdshot stings...buckshot kills..

I would go with buckshot. Looters can not testify.

obx
06-19-2011, 11:34 AM
I would go with buckshot. Looters can not testify.

I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

Novaheart
06-19-2011, 11:51 AM
Some jewelry stores have to buzz you in. We may have to get used to that in other stores. Or else go to the Caribbean model: one guy at the register with a pistol and one guy in the rafters with a shotgun.

NJCardFan
06-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I would rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.
^^^^

Odysseus
06-19-2011, 05:10 PM

That might work in a large urban area with a lot of cops that can be put into the street, but in suburban or rural counties, that's often not practical. Self-defense is a personal right. The delegation of it to police doesn't mean that you've abrogated it completely.