PDA

View Full Version : Defiant Spanish Language Lecture of Texas Legislators Goes Viral with Video

megimoo
06-19-2011, 04:40 AM
Video of the testimony of immigrant rights activist Antolin Aguirre, who chose to lecture Texas legislators in Spanish Monday, despite living in the United States for 23 years and taking naturalized citizenship in 2001, was posted on YouTube, and has gone viral after being posted by Drudge. David Paulin brought the shocking display of arrogance to national attention on Thursday on AT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoR3qLgL_uU&feature=player_embedded

This can only be described as ethnic chauvinism. A gringo would never get away with this in Mexico.

It is one thing to speak in one's native tongue in a quest to be acurate. But Aguirre was reading from a prepared statement, and demonstrates a fine command of English, as ought to be the case for anyone of adequate intelligence living in this country for more than two decades.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/06/defiant_spanish_language_lecture_of_texas_legislat ors_goes_viral_with_video.html

Apache
06-19-2011, 09:20 AM
I heard about this thursday, and think that the first Senator is correct, what he did WAS insulting.

Novaheart
06-19-2011, 11:18 AM
I have no idea how long this went on after the video stops, but it that wasn't the end then the Assemblyman should have gotten up and walked out.

Yes, languages and cultures change over time. Migration, legal and illegal does happen over time. But as natural as that is, so is resistance to cultural invasion. This is a somewhat organic process which often produces excellence. One of the reasons that English is the international language of science, commerce, and diplomacy is because it is that the British Isles have been infused with the cultures of their conquerors from the Celts to the Normans. And unlike many places, England in particular assimilated it's invaders, and in a cultural survival of the fittest the language has kept parts of other languages- the parts which were either more accurate, easier to manage, or simply more appealing.

Resistance is part of the process. Resistance is a cultural editor. Resistance has given us a language that is easy to learn and difficult to master, a very precise language which has four different words for the states of one thing, unlike some languages where you have water, and frozen water, we have ice. We have pig, pork, and ham.

I fully expect many Spanish words to replace English words. "Bodega" is clearly superior to "corner store" , "convenience store", or "mom and pop shop". There are probably many words in Spanish which are more concise than English, but overall Spanish appears to be cumbersome. At Megabank, the Spanish language operators were given more time to deal with clients than the English operators.... a lot more time. Obviously, the language can be beautiful but it's archaic. Progress in global terms would surely mean moving to a single language, and Spanish isn't it.

Odysseus
06-19-2011, 11:54 AM
One of the legal requirements for naturalization is a command of the English language. If, 23 years after arriving here, Antolin Aguirre still doesn't speak it in public, his citizenship ought to be reexamined and possibly revoked.

BTW, since English proficiency is a requirement, and only citizens can vote (at least, that used to be the case before the DNC and ACORN got involved), ballots should be English-only.

Arroyo_Doble
06-19-2011, 12:51 PM
One of the legal requirements for naturalization is a command of the English language. If, 23 years after arriving here, Antolin Aguirre still doesn't speak it in public, his citizenship ought to be reexamined and possibly revoked.

I did not realize the first amendment had a caveat which meant the freedom was only applicable to speaking English.

NJCardFan
06-19-2011, 02:07 PM
I did not realize the first amendment had a caveat which meant the freedom was only applicable to speaking English.

An applicant for naturalization must be at least eighteen years old.

Residency

An applicant must be a legal permanent resident in the U.S. The applicant must have an I-551 (Alien Registration Card) to proceed.

Residence and Physical Presence

Just before applying, a naturalization applicant must have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months out of the previous five years. However, if the applicant was absent for more than six months but less than one year, the applicant may still be eligible if he or she can show that the absence was not an abandonment of resident status.

Good Moral Character

A naturalization applicant must show good moral character during the five-year period prior to application (three years if married to a U.S. citizen or one year for certain military exceptions). Murder convictions are a permanent obstacle to naturalization, as are aggravated felony convictions on or after November 29, 1990.

Certain criminal convictions in the five years prior to the application will bar naturalization, but even if the applicant fears that a conviction will ruin his or her application, all convictions must still be disclosed. It is far worse to have U.S. immigration authorities discover a falsehood than to disclose the issue.

Attachment to the Constitution

An application for naturalization must declare the applicant's willingness to support and defend the U.S. and the Constitution. An applicant declares his or her "attachment" to the U.S. and the Constitution at the time he or she takes the oath of allegiance.

Language

Applicants must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English words in ordinary use. Some applicants may be exempt because of age or mental condition.

U.S. Government and History Knowledge

An applicant for naturalization must demonstrate knowledge of the fundamentals of U.S. history and certain principles of U.S. government. Applicants are exempt if they have a medically recognizable physical or mental impairment that affects their ability to learn or understand these topics.

Oath of Allegiance

U.S. citizenship is conferred after the oath of allegiance is taken. A modified oath may be available in certain instances, such as religious opposition to oaths.

Legal Help with the Naturalization Process

Successfully naturalizing in the United States requires a thorough understanding of the steps involved, and careful preparation at each stage. If you or a loved one are considering becoming a U.S. citizen through naturalization, you should contact an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through each step of the process and protect your legal rightshttp://immigration.findlaw.com/immigration/immigration-citizenship-naturalization/immigration-citizenship-naturalization-requirements.html?DCMP=KNC-Immigration-Law&HBX_PK=us+citizenship+requirements&HBX_OU=50

Now, all of this said, a majority of the population of this country speaks English, most exclusively. In order to function in a society, there has to be a level of understanding and the primary way to accomplish this is through verbal communication. That said, if you want to come into this country and want to function as a productive member of society, then one must learn to communicate the language of the majority of the populace. I'd certainly expect to speak French if I wanted to live in France(who are a million more times more arrogant about their language than we are about ours). If this is something that is alien to you, then you are an idiot.

Arroyo_Doble
06-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Now, all of this said, a majority of the population of this country speaks English, most exclusively. In order to function in a society, there has to be a level of understanding and the primary way to accomplish this is through verbal communication. That said, if you want to come into this country and want to function as a productive member of society, then one must learn to communicate the language of the majority of the populace. I'd certainly expect to speak French if I wanted to live in France(who are a million more times more arrogant about their language than we are about ours). If this is something that is alien to you, then you are an idiot.

What is becoming clearer and clearer to me is that those who hold up the Constitution as their guiding governing document and demand others bow to its near perfection either haven't read it or secretly hold it in contempt.

NJCardFan
06-19-2011, 02:17 PM
What is becoming clearer and clearer to me is that those who hold up the Constitution as their guiding governing document and demand others bow to its near perfection either haven't read it or secretly hold it in contempt.

I've read it fine and can bet I have a greater understanding of it then you ever will. However, the above I stated is about survival in a foreign land, not about a requirement. If you can't speak English, then I will do my best to ignore you, even if you're bleeding to death. Because if you can't answer my questions on whether or not you need help, I can be held civilly liable if I attempt to impose my will(help you) on you. Thank your leftist liberal lawyers for that.

Bailey
06-19-2011, 02:44 PM

omg
you are unbelievable, if you cant see this is a slap in the face to the people of Texas then you are big asshole then I gave you credit for.

Phillygirl
06-19-2011, 02:46 PM
I've been to Texas. Most Texans' grasp of the English language may be a slap in the face to Americans. I needed a translator when I was there.

Arroyo_Doble
06-19-2011, 02:50 PM
omg
you are unbelievable, if you cant see this is a slap in the face to the people of Texas then you are big asshole then I gave you credit for.

You think that's bad? A grocery store a block from my house has all their signs in Spanish with English below in smaller letters in parenthesis. It is a slap in my face every time I pick up some pollo for fajitas.

Bailey
06-19-2011, 03:10 PM
You think that's bad? A grocery store a block from my house has all their signs in Spanish with English below in smaller letters in parenthesis. It is a slap in my face every time I pick up some pollo for fajitas.

No its a slap in your face if you dont get through a day without trolling.

Bailey
06-19-2011, 03:13 PM
I've been to Texas. Most Texans' grasp of the English language may be a slap in the face to Americans. I needed a translator when I was there.

I have never had a problem understanding them, it must be a phlly problem.

Bottom line is our culture is being destroyed and AD's of the country fiddle while Rome burns.

Odysseus
06-19-2011, 05:06 PM
It doesn't. He is free to speak whatever language he wants in his own home. But, as NJ pointed out, the law demands that "Applicants must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English words in ordinary use. Some applicants may be exempt because of age or mental condition."
We are the United States of America, not the Balkanized States of Babel. The basic assumptions of our nation are that people bring their culture, history and other knowledge with them, but assimilate and become Americans. The national motto, e pluribus unum, means from many, one. The diversity fetish of leftists is meant to undermine this and perpetuate ghettoization of minorities in order to keep them from participating. Poor English language skills are a greater bar to advancement in America than a border fence.

So, when you pretended to express concern about the First Amendment, you were actually expressing your ignorance and contempt? Got it.

I have never had a problem understanding them, it must be a phlly problem.

Bottom line is our culture is being destroyed and AD's of the country fiddle while Rome burns.

He's not fiddling, he's enabling. Leftists hate our culture, because it gets in the way of their Utopian BS.

Phillygirl
06-19-2011, 07:06 PM
It doesn't. He is free to speak whatever language he wants in his own home. But, as NJ pointed out, the law demands that "Applicants must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English words in ordinary use. Some applicants may be exempt because of age or mental condition."
We are the United States of America, not the Balkanized States of Babel. The basic assumptions of our nation are that people bring their culture, history and other knowledge with them, but assimilate and become Americans. The national motto, e pluribus unum, means from many, one. The diversity fetish of leftists is meant to undermine this and perpetuate ghettoization of minorities in order to keep them from participating. Poor English language skills are a greater bar to advancement in America than a border fence.

So, when you pretended to express concern about the First Amendment, you were actually expressing your ignorance and contempt? Got it.

He's not fiddling, he's enabling. Leftists hate our culture, because it gets in the way of their Utopian BS.

The law demands that you be able to read, write, speak and understand English words in ordinary use. It does not demand that you do so...yet.

Odysseus
06-19-2011, 07:11 PM
The law demands that you be able to read, write, speak and understand English words in ordinary use. It does not demand that you do so...yet.

No, nor does it require that we print ballots in anything other than English. If citizens speak English, then they can read English ballots. If they don't, then they shouldn't be citizens, and thus voting.

Phillygirl
06-19-2011, 07:13 PM
No, nor does it require that we print ballots in anything other than English. If citizens speak English, then they can read English ballots. If they don't, then they shouldn't be citizens, and thus voting.

Is that what the video was about? I didn't look the law up to see what they were protesting.

Arroyo_Doble
06-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Is that what the video was about? I didn't look the law up to see what they were protesting.

Starting to rethink the bargain yet, Faust? How much is that 3 1/2 points on the top marginal rate worth?

Phillygirl
06-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Starting to rethink the bargain yet, Faust? How much is that 3 1/2 points on the top marginal rate worth?

3 1/2 will get you 5, plus the increase on payroll and medicare. I'm still comfortable with my choice. Has your hope changed yet?

Arroyo_Doble
06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
3 1/2 will get you 5, plus the increase on payroll and medicare. I'm still comfortable with my choice. Has your hope changed yet?

Yes. Last December.

But Fruitcake Pantyhose has nothing to offer but fear & loathing so far.

Odysseus
06-19-2011, 10:34 PM
He's an immigration activist. Apparently, he feels that we aren't accommodating enough, so he made it a point to lecture the Texas legislature, in Spanish, about it. As the article noted:

I have nothing against immigrants preserving their native cultures, including language. But the effort to make America a bilingual (or multilingual) nation is a method of sowing discord and weakening us as a nation. Our neighbor Canada has gone through serious trauma owing to bilingualism, and Belgium is another example of a bilingual country riven with linguistic tensions. Those who ask to be welcomed here have an obligation to learn our language and assimilate.

Americans are sometimes criticized for going overseas and expecting everyone to do business with them in English. One hears much about our insensitivity to locals. Isn't Aguirre guilty of even worse insensitivity?

What has that got to do with anything?

But, yes, it is worth it. Given a choice between the government squandering 3.5% of the last dollar that I made on imaginary shovel-ready jobs, or spending it on our mortgage, our daughters' college funds, or even just groceries, I'll take the latter every time.

Arroyo_Doble
06-19-2011, 10:39 PM
She's been banned you self absorbed douchebag.

Rockntractor
06-19-2011, 10:42 PM

And so are you I've had enough of both of you!

fettpett
06-19-2011, 11:16 PM
ummm...

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0911/gettin-to-know-the-rules-not-using-proper-or-clever-tags-tha-demotivational-poster-1258571107.png

CueSi
06-19-2011, 11:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v_BVNGAfYM

~QC

Bailey
06-20-2011, 12:14 AM

Its been a perfect fathers day so far. :D