PDA

View Full Version : Eight million gallons of water drained from reservoir after man urinates in it

megimoo
06-20-2011, 10:38 PM
The operation is costing the state's taxpayers $36,000 (22,000) and was ordered after Joshua Seater, 21, was caught on a security camera relieving himself in the pristine lake.

Health experts said the incident would not have caused any harm to people in the city of Portland, who are supplied with drinking water from the reservoir....They said the average human bladder holds only six to eight ounces, and the urine would have been vastly diluted.

But David Shaff, an administrator at the Portland Water Bureau, defended the decision to empty the lake...."There are people who will say it's an over reaction. I don't think so. I think what you have to deal with here is the 'yuck' factor," he said....."I can imagine how many people would be saying 'I made orange juice with that water this morning.' "Do you want to drink pee? Most people are going to be pretty damn squeamish about that."

Mr Seater had been out drinking with friends when he decided to relieve himself in the open air reservoir at 1.30am....He has not been arrested or charged with a crime, but may ultimately face a fine.

He apologised publicly for his behaviour, adding: "It was a stupid thing to do. I didn't know it was a water supply, I thought it was a sewage plant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8582593/Eight-million-gallons-of-water-drained-from-reservoir-after-man-urinates-in-it.html

Bubba Dawg
06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Fish fornicate in water. And poop in it.

Wot's the big deal?

MrsSmith
06-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Just imagine what they'll do the next time a flock of birds comes to visit... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Novaheart
06-20-2011, 11:34 PM
That's ridiculous. The kids from my high school swam in the drinking water reservoir for Suburban Maryland. We would take the horses wading into it, and the park service knew we did it. People canoed, swam, and all sorts of animals used it and the water shed. This would be the headwaters of the Patuxent River.

fettpett
06-21-2011, 01:11 AM
That's ridiculous. The kids from my high school swam in the drinking water reservoir for Suburban Maryland. We would take the horses wading into it, and the park service knew we did it. People canoed, swam, and all sorts of animals used it and the water shed. This would be the headwaters of the Patuxent River.

this is from the eco nut capital of Oregon

noonwitch
06-21-2011, 08:50 AM
We get our drinking water from the Detroit River, which is fed by Lake St. Clair, the nastiest and most polluted of the Great Lakes. Yet our drinking water is among the cleanest in the nation, because despite all the bad things there are in Detroit, we still have an amazing water filtration system.

The beaches on Lake St. Clair are frequently closed due to fecal coliform bacteria.

linda22003
06-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Fish fornicate in water. And poop in it.

That's why WC Fields said he didn't drink water. Although the F word he used was shorter than "fornicate".

Odysseus
06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
The operation is costing the state's taxpayers $36,000 (22,000) and was ordered after Joshua Seater, 21, was caught on a security camera relieving himself in the pristine lake.

Health experts said the incident would not have caused any harm to people in the city of Portland, who are supplied with drinking water from the reservoir....They said the average human bladder holds only six to eight ounces, and the urine would have been vastly diluted.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8582593/Eight-million-gallons-of-water-drained-from-reservoir-after-man-urinates-in-it.html

Diluted and filtered. Tap water goes through a series of purification procedures that eliminate all sorts of nasty stuff. You could drop Charlie Sheen into one end and have him come out a virgin at the other. Unless this guy had eaten a solid bar of mercury and pissed it directly into the purification filters, it wouldn't have been an issue. At Balad, we got our water from the Tigris, and put it through our ROWPUs (Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Units) and it was perfectly fine, even though the locals dumped everything from feces to dead livestock in the river.

This is just a waste of time, money and effort.