PDA

View Full Version : Gifford's astronaut husband retiring, writing memoir

jendf
06-21-2011, 01:15 PM
NASA astronaut and Navy Capt. Mark Kelly announced his retirement from the military and space travel Tuesday, and said he plans to focus on his recovering wife, Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, and to work with her on a memoir detailing their lives before and after Giffords was shot in the head during a constituent event near Tucson in January.

The ever-sure space shuttle commander found himself feeling "a little bit apprehensive to move on and do something else," Kelly said in an exclusive interview with The Arizona Republic. "But this is the time for me to go . . . and do other things."

For example: "Two daughters who are in high school," he said with a laugh, and the resulting attention required.

Giffords is focused on getting better, Kelly said, and he'll handle the bulk of the book work, along with collaborating author Jeffrey Zaslow, a Wall Street Journal columnist who penned bestseller The Last Lecture and co-wrote pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger's memoir. The book will be published by Scribner, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. Giffords will be more involved as she improves, Kelly said.

More here (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/06/21/20110621giffords-mark-kelly-retiring-to-write-memoir.html)

I know he took a lot of flack for fulfilling his last Endeavor mission. I'm glad he was able to do it one last time and can now take care of his wife and daughters full-time. I wish this family the best.

djones520
06-21-2011, 04:18 PM
The ever-sure space shuttle commander found himself feeling "a little bit apprehensive to move on and do something else,"

That seems to be a common dilemma. I was seriously looking at the option of getting out and looking for a job in the civilian sector when my enlistment ended this upcoming winter. I'll be hitting 10 years, so this is the part where I committ. If I stay,there is no point in not going full career, so this is my only sane last chance to get out.

The thought really scared the hell out of me. I've lived in the military lifestyle from the day I was born. Nearly 27 years now, it's all I've known. I honestly don't know how to live in the civilian world. That was a big reason I made the choice to stick it out for the next 10 years.

Calypso Jones
06-21-2011, 06:13 PM
I believe he is 'retiring' because he has been drafted to run for Senator in Gabby Gifford's place...sympathy win. He was an absent, long distance, part time husband but a democrat does not miss an opportunity. This 'marriage' is going to be tested now. We'll see how that goes. Of course not before he's runs and is elected. Dumping her at some point in the future would not be a good idea. Maybe he can just put her in a nuring home full time.

djones520
06-21-2011, 06:46 PM
I believe he is 'retiring' because he has been drafted to run for Senator in Gabby Gifford's place...sympathy win. He was an absent, long distance, part time husband but a democrat does not miss an opportunity. This 'marriage' is going to be tested now. We'll see how that goes. Of course not before he's runs and is elected. Dumping her at some point in the future would not be a good idea. Maybe he can just put her in a nuring home full time.

Cynical much? I mean... wow...

jendf
06-21-2011, 06:48 PM
He wouldn't get my sympathy vote, that's for sure. I just don't understand people who vote that way. But you're probably right, CJ. I didn't even think about the senate angle.

djones520
06-21-2011, 06:52 PM
He wouldn't get my sympathy vote, that's for sure. I just don't understand people who vote that way. But you're probably right, CJ. I didn't even think about the senate angle.

Or he's planning on staying home, and caring for his family now that his career is over... Not everything has to be a dastardly plot where everyone gets thrown under the bus. :rolleyes:

jendf
06-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Or he's planning on staying home, and caring for his family now that his career is over... Not everything has to be a dastardly plot where everyone gets thrown under the bus. :rolleyes:

I hope that's the case too! Don't get me wrong. But I understand CJ's cynicism.