PDA

View Full Version : Spread The Word To End The Word

NJCardFan
06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Oh, Lordy. Didn't know if this was for here or Stupid Liberal Tricks but I posted it in GD but if it isn't the appropriate forum, feel free to move. However, I just saw this commercial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T549VoLca_Q

So let me get this straight. We have the "N" word, the "C" word, and now we have the "R" word? Any more words you want to omit because someone's feelings might be hurt? How about Tea Bagger? That is a slur, no? Oh, and I love the "It's not acceptable to call me a fag" when gays call each other fags all the time. Same with blacks and the "N" word. So, IMO, you want to get rid of a word? Stop using it yourself.

jendf
06-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Whenever a Hollywood half-wit tells me not to say something, I feel compelled to use it in everyday conversation.

That being said, I have used that term before and have felt completely guilty afterward, so I understand the point of their message. But I didn't need them to tell me why it's wrong. My moral compass is not busted so mind your own business Hollywood, thank you very much.

Bailey
06-22-2011, 12:49 PM
OMG unless you are calling a retard a retard who the hell cares if you use it?

txradioguy
06-22-2011, 01:01 PM
How retarded.:rolleyes:

noonwitch
06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
I have no reason to use the N word or the C word, or to call a gay man a fag. It really doesn't matter to me whether black people call each other the N word (or use it in music). That still doesn't make it okay for me to use those words, and ultimately, I'm only responsible for my speech and actions.

There is a difference, however, between using the term "Mentally Retarded" and calling someone a retard. Although it is not the socially approved diagnostic term now, it was until the 70s or 80s.

The actress' condition isn't accurately described by the term mentally retarded or by the current term "developmentally delayed". She has Down's Syndrome, which is about more than just the intellectual capacity, and she's way up high on the functional scale for that condition.

Articulate_Ape
06-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Taking the first letter of a word one doesn't want to say and adding a"-word" suffix to it has to be the most brilliant F-wording disguise of all time. There's no way anyone will know what your thinking when you use this clever tactic.

Gingersnap
06-22-2011, 04:38 PM
"Retarded" was at one point, a medical diagnosis designed to replace the then common term "idiot". "Idiot" was the medical term for what we now label as "developmentally delayed".

No one has used the term "retarded" medically for 30 or 40 years. It has no currency when speaking of people with Down syndrome (the very few people today who are allowed to survive with Down's thanks to prenatal testing).

It's simply a pop culture term for non-medical idiots.

NJCardFan
06-22-2011, 05:27 PM
"Retarded" was at one point, a medical diagnosis designed to replace the then common term "idiot". "Idiot" was the medical term for what we now label as "developmentally delayed".

No one has used the term "retarded" medically for 30 or 40 years. It has no currency when speaking of people with Down syndrome (the very few people today who are allowed to survive with Down's thanks to prenatal testing).

Idiot, moron, imbecile, were all medical terms and all basically meant the same thing: developmentally challenged. Who here hasn't heard each and every one of these words used to describe someone we consider less than intelligent? The term retarded means to be held back. To retard development means you can't move forward in your development for one reason or another. Mentally retarded means that, mentally, you are stuck at an early age even though physically you might be an adult.

But the issue here is deeper than words. We as a society have become spaghetti spined, thin skinned whiners. When I was a kid and someone would call me a name and I would go crying to my mother, she would always tell me to ignore it. And believe you me as someone who was one of the youngest in a neighborhood of about 30 kids, I got teased a lot. That advice my mother gave me has helped me a lit, especially in my line of work. Care to imagine the kind of vitriol I hear all day long at work? It's a name. It's words. Grow a frigging spine and a set of cajones for God's sakes. Sticks and stones people. Sticks and stones. Even a freaking nursery rhyme gets it.

Odysseus
06-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Taking the first letter of a word one doesn't want to say and adding a"-word" suffix to it has to be the most brilliant F-wording disguise of all time. There's no way anyone will know what your thinking when you use this clever tactic.
Word.

I thought that they all started out being called "progressives." :D

Hawkgirl
06-22-2011, 05:37 PM
I prefer Dumbass to the R-word.

Bailey
06-22-2011, 05:50 PM

That word is fine.....for now.

Calypso Jones
06-22-2011, 06:54 PM
but we can still use the F-word can't we? IN public? Us Women?? oh good. I feel better now.

Odysseus
06-22-2011, 07:55 PM

It's fine until somebody decides that Dumbass needs to by hyphenated. When we have Dumbass-Americans, the term will be verboten by the PC police.

NJCardFan
06-22-2011, 07:58 PM
How long before the terms stupid, dumb, and ugly are on the ban list?

Hawkgirl
06-22-2011, 08:02 PM
How long before the terms stupid, dumb, and ugly are on the ban list?

Will libtard be under the R-tard umbrella? Or can I still use that?

NJCardFan
06-22-2011, 08:14 PM
On a more serious note, how about celebutard? This is a term used quite often in the MSM.

Odysseus
06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
For now, until somebody can prove that liberals aren't developmentally-challenged. That may take a while, so you should be good.

On a more serious note, how about celebutard? This is a term used quite often in the MSM.

The problem is that anything that describes stupidity is going to be a derogatory term, at least until stupid becomes the new smart (although given some of the headlines that we see, that ship may have sailed). The problem is that we are afraid to use words that actually mean anything. Retarded wasn't an insult, any more than idiot was, when it first came into use. It was a technical term, but when applied to someone who wasn't retarded or an idiot in the medical sense, it was an insult. An idiot used to be someone with an IQ below a certain level. Now it's someone who acts like they have an IQ below a certain level. When Sean Penn played a mentally retarded man in I Am Sam, he pretending to be an idiot. When he went to Iraq as a human shield, almost sank himself in New Orleans and sucked up to a variety of petty leftist thug dictators, he wasn't pretending.

noonwitch
06-23-2011, 11:12 AM
I use the "N" word. And I don't care how liberal you are, you know a black person deserving of the "N" word when you see one. Black Panthers with batons spewing their silly Black Liberation sit are perfect candidates to be aptly described with the "N" word and I have described them as nothing less. Jeremiah Wright? "N" word! I call them like I see 'em. My Black ex-wife always used to say, "You won't get called a ****** if you don't act like one."

I would never call a gay man a fag, though. Not when "queer as a football bat" will do.

I don't know any black people who deserve to be called the n word. I know some who are bitches and some who are assholes, though. I don't need a race-specific term for that.

NJCardFan
06-23-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't know any black people who deserve to be called the n word. I know some who are bitches and some who are assholes, though. I don't need a race-specific term for that.

You've obviously never been inside a prison.

Rebel Yell
06-23-2011, 11:54 AM
See my sigline.......

noonwitch
06-23-2011, 01:33 PM
You've obviously never been inside a prison.

Yes, I have. Mostly I've visited people in county jails and juvenile facilities, but I've had to visit people in a couple of different state facilities over the years.

I still don't see the need to use the n word, unless I am compelled to do so at gunpoint or by a judge when I'm under oath and the judge specifically instructs me to say exactly what I heard someone else say.

NJCardFan
06-23-2011, 06:16 PM
Yes, I have. Mostly I've visited people in county jails and juvenile facilities, but I've had to visit people in a couple of different state facilities over the years.

I still don't see the need to use the n word, unless I am compelled to do so at gunpoint or by a judge when I'm under oath and the judge specifically instructs me to say exactly what I heard someone else say.
You may have been inside of a prison but you haven't been inside of a prison. See what I see. Hear what I hear. You're a social worker. Believe me, these people, when they see a social worker, act a speak a certain way, however, when they are among their 'boys' they act in an entirely different manner.

cajunrevenge
06-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Arent liberals the ones who say conservatives are trying to tell you how to live your life? Could those faggots be any more retarded?

noonwitch
06-24-2011, 08:48 AM
You may have been inside of a prison but you haven't been inside of a prison. See what I see. Hear what I hear. You're a social worker. Believe me, these people, when they see a social worker, act a speak a certain way, however, when they are among their 'boys' they act in an entirely different manner.

I'm aware that they clean up their acts for women who are wearing pretty dresses and not uniforms. I also have been a social worker in Detroit in Children's Services for 24 years. I've had people threaten me, insult me, call me a honkey bitch, and so on. I still don't feel the need to respond using racially derogatory language. It's just not necessary. I personally think the term honkey is funny. It makes me think of George Jefferson.

Madisonian
06-24-2011, 07:30 PM
What happens when enough people get offended and we start having multiple N-words or C-words?

I mean I might not care if you call me the M-word, but if you call me the M-word, I'll be on you like W-word on R-word.

Too confusing.:confused:

Odysseus
06-24-2011, 08:09 PM
What happens when enough people get offended and we start having multiple N-words or C-words?

I mean I might not care if you call me the M-word, but if you call me the M-word, I'll be on you like W-word on R-word.

Too confusing.:confused:

It is. Among Smurphs, there are over two-hundred variations on the S-Word.