PDA

View Full Version : Evangelicals Rebuke Trevor Phillips for 'Patronizing' Analysis of Christianity

megimoo
06-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Evangelicals in the U.K. have rebuked comments made by the Chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission in Britain for accusing evangelical Christians of wanting to “have a fight,” and that they “choose sexual orientation as the ground to fight” out of political motivation.

In an interview published Sunday, Trevor Phillips angered Christians by saying many groups that argue against homosexuality were only doing so to gain political advantage. According to the Sunday Telegraph Phillips said, “There are some Christian organisations who basically want to have a fight and therefore they're constantly defining the ground in such a way that anyone who doesn't agree wholly agree with them about everything is essentially a messenger from Satan.”

He continued: “I think for a lot of Christian activists, they want to have a fight and they choose sexual orientation as the ground to fight it on. I think that whole argument isn't about the rights of Christians. It's about politics. It's about a group of people who really want to have weight and influence and they've chosen that particular ground.

“Personally I don't know why they don't choose ground that really is defending Christian values. I wish they'd choose gambling or human trafficking or something,” he said.

Phillips stoked controversy further referring to growing African and Caribbean congregations as having “old time” views that put them at odds with mainstream Britain.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/british-equality-boss-evangelicals-fight-homosexuality-for-political-influence-51360/

noonwitch
06-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Phillips blows his argument when he mentions that muslims are trying to fit their religion into british life. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but they aren't becoming more tolerant of gays by doing so.

I think a lot of the problems for the Church of England arise because it is a state church. Because it is supported by the tax dollars of all Britains, it has to answer to the citizens on all issues, not just to those who are active participants.

In the US, if you find your church is teaching a position about any issue that you disagree with, you can leave it and stop funding it because it is funded by the donations of it's congregants.

Novaheart
06-24-2011, 01:10 PM
Phillips blows his argument when he mentions that muslims are trying to fit their religion into british life. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't, but they aren't becoming more tolerant of gays by doing so.

I think a lot of the problems for the Church of England arise because it is a state church. Because it is supported by the tax dollars of all Britains, it has to answer to the citizens on all issues, not just to those who are active participants.

In the US, if you find your church is teaching a position about any issue that you disagree with, you can leave it and stop funding it because it is funded by the donations of it's congregants.

I see the two as unrelated though the "progressives" see Muslims as a minority in need of protection and therefore equated to a domestic people being discriminated against in their own country.

His comments about the Christian right are IMO correct. They use homosexuality and abortion, another two unrelated topics to rouse the rabble because they work. Only an idiot believes that educated Republican politicians are as upset by homosexuality as they put on to garner support. But it brings in the whackjobs and angry people vote.