PDA

View Full Version : Christian Counselor May Be Kicked Out After Trying to 'Cure' Gay Man

megimoo
06-23-2011, 02:08 PM
A Christian psychotherapist has been found guilty of “professional malpractice” after trying to help a gay man become straight.

Lesley Pilkington, 60, faces being struck off from the British Association for Counseling and Psychotherapy which came down on the side of her client, Patrick Strudwick.

Strudwick approached Pilkington, a practitioner of reparative therapy, at a Christian conference on therapy for homosexuality and pretended that he wanted treatment to help him overcome his same-sex attractions.

He was in fact a gay journalist working undercover.

Pilkington and Strudwick had two therapy sessions together, during which Strudwick secretly recorded their conversations.....He then used the material gathered during the sessions to make a formal complaint against Pilkington to the BACP, the professional body for counselors.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/christian-counselor-may-be-kicked-out-after-trying-to-cure-gay-man-50632/

Bailey
06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Its a shame the man should be given an award.

megimoo
06-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Its a shame the man should be given an award.
Not in the U.K.,That 'Oh so Sensative' Land of Fruits and Muslim Nuts !

Apache
06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Strudwick said, “I am an out, happily gay man. I was undercover, investigating therapists who practice this so-called conversion therapy (also known as reparative therapy) – who try to ‘pray away the gay.’

That is what we call a fairy tale....:rolleyes:

Odysseus
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Lesley Pilkington, 60, faces being struck off from the British Association for Counseling and Psychotherapy which came down on the side of her client, Patrick Strudwick.

Strudwick approached Pilkington, a practitioner of reparative therapy, at a Christian conference on therapy for homosexuality and pretended that he wanted treatment to help him overcome his same-sex attractions.

So, this clown sought therapy, and then surrepticiously recorded the sessions, during which he received the therapy that he had asked for, and then published the material and filed a complaint for being given the treatment that he asked for? :confused: WTF? He would have had a case if he'd gone to see a therapist who tried to talk him into reparative therapy against his will, or if he hadn't asked for it and been steered to it, but this is just PC BS.

CueSi
06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
So, this clown sought therapy, and then surrepticiously recorded the sessions, during which he received the therapy that he had asked for, and then published the material and filed a complaint for being given the treatment that he asked for? :confused: WTF? He would have had a case if he'd gone to see a therapist who tried to talk him into reparative therapy against his will, or if he hadn't asked for it and been steered to it, but this is just PC BS.

This. Reorientation therapy against consent is wrong. This was just a witch hunt.

~QC

megimoo
06-23-2011, 07:47 PM
This. Reorientation therapy against consent is wrong. This was just a witch hunt.

~QCHe Works for a gay rag !

CueSi
06-24-2011, 02:42 AM
He Works for a gay rag !

I don't care who the fuck Homo McJoykill works for. I mean, what he did was journalistic entrapment. Then again...some of the more inflammatory periodicals think of that as a story amplifier.

~QC

noonwitch
06-24-2011, 08:53 AM

Or if he was a teenager forced into it by his parents. That would also be harmful to him.

But he went in asking for it. The various professional organizations are against reparative therapy, but they go way overboard in their objections. The belief is that therapy can't change someone's sexual orientation and I tend to agree with that theory overall. But there are always exceptions, I've been working with child abuse victims for too long not to notice certain connections. People's sexuality is more complicated than psychologists on either side of the debate want to recognize.

Odysseus
06-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Or if he was a teenager forced into it by his parents. That would also be harmful to him.

But he went in asking for it. The various professional organizations are against reparative therapy, but they go way overboard in their objections. The belief is that therapy can't change someone's sexual orientation and I tend to agree with that theory overall. But there are always exceptions, I've been working with child abuse victims for too long not to notice certain connections. People's sexuality is more complicated than psychologists on either side of the debate want to recognize.

Child abuse victims tend to have their orientation screwed up by the abuse, but often revert to their "hard-wiring" after a while. If a kid has a sexual trauma, it can radically alter his/her orientation. I know a couple of lesbians who considered themselves straight until they had been sexually assaulted by men and found themselves unable to respond to men after that, one of whom ended up going back to men after several years of being with women. She had a difficult time dealing with her attraction to men because of her trauma, but eventually she was able to overcome it. However, if someone is happy the way that they are, and they aren't hurting anyone, then forcing or coercing them into reparative therapy is just another form of trauma. If, OTOH, they are not happy and genuinely want to change their orientation, you give the customer what he wants.

Novaheart
06-24-2011, 12:22 PM
A Christian psychotherapist has been found guilty of “professional malpractice” after trying to help a gay man become straight.

Pilkington and Strudwick had two therapy sessions together, during which Strudwick secretly recorded their conversations.....He then used the material gathered during the sessions to make a formal complaint against Pilkington to the BACP, the professional body for counselors.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/christian-counselor-may-be-kicked-out-after-trying-to-cure-gay-man-50632/

Purely as an issue of malpractice, I am going to have to side with the therapist on this one. While I understand that a medical ethics board would classify this as malpractice because they regard this "treatment" as actually worsening the condition of emotional distress of the patient (due to the fact that it's ineffective), psychotherapy is not a biological approach to medicine it is an holistic approach to medicine. We allow psychotherapists and other professionals to routinely assist people in pursuing desires which are unlikely to be successful. We allow all sorts of pseudo medical practices to employ therapies which have little or no evidence of effectiveness or success. About the only thing we seriously regulate are drugs and invasive procedures.

I don't see a huge difference between a psychologist who claims to "cure" homosexuality and one which indulges a biological male's belief that he is female. But then, I consider most psychotherapy to be overpriced bullshit in a can. Andy Warhol referred to it in the group of services he called "Paying people to touch you." along with hot stone therapy, and various other spa services.

I have been in psychotherapy as part of my compulsory curriculum in the Human Potential Movement and self realization in the 1980's in California. I paid a psychiatrist MD a small fortune for his worthless time and I had some very productive time spent with a former heroin addict biker chick turned Pastoral Counselor at a fraction of the price. I went to two different hypnotherapists for smoking and weight control. I had a personal trainer. I did the Est Training and Transactional Analysis. I found some benefit in all of these experiences, but could not honestly claim that any of them was as clinically effective as 4 way Nasal Spray. But then, somethings work in 30 seconds and others take longer.

Novaheart
06-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I don't care who the fuck Homo McJoykill works for. I mean, what he did was journalistic entrapment. Then again...some of the more inflammatory periodicals think of that as a story amplifier.

~QC

I don't have a problem with the journalist exposing this man, my objection would be official sanction against the therapist. We don't blame the decoy for pretending to have a backache so doctor Pridham Bijar will give him Oxycodone at the Greater Hialeah Pain Center, we blame the doctor for being a script doctor. In this case, however, we're dealing with voodoo, not clinical medicine.

Novaheart
06-24-2011, 12:30 PM
PS- My psychiatrist from 1985 is now a Yoga instructor. I think it's hilarious, but even back then I knew his heart wasn't in it.

noonwitch
06-24-2011, 12:54 PM
PS- My psychiatrist from 1985 is now a Yoga instructor. I think it's hilarious, but even back then I knew his heart wasn't in it.

Maybe it's his career after retiring from medicine?

It's still funny.

Odysseus
06-24-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't have a problem with the journalist exposing this man, my objection would be official sanction against the therapist. We don't blame the decoy for pretending to have a backache so doctor Pridham Bijar will give him Oxycodone at the Greater Hialeah Pain Center, we blame the doctor for being a script doctor. In this case, however, we're dealing with voodoo, not clinical medicine.

Psychotherapy has its uses, but it's at the same stage of development as surgery was when it was done by Medieval barbers. The issue here is not whether the therapy is effective, but whether the practitioner was entrapped. If a decoy presents fake symptoms and the doctor does the necessary tests but they are inconclusive, we don't blame the doctor for prescribing a painkiller under those circumstances. The therapist did his job, and whether or not you see the value in it, he was neither negligent nor coercive.

Did he make you do downward dog on the couch?

Bailey
06-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Psychotherapy has its uses, but it's at the same stage of development as surgery was when it was done by Medieval barbers. The issue here is not whether the therapy is effective, but whether the practitioner was entrapped. If a decoy presents fake symptoms and the doctor does the necessary tests but they are inconclusive, we don't blame the doctor for prescribing a painkiller under those circumstances. The therapist did his job, and whether or not you see the value in it, he was neither negligent nor coercive.

Did he make you do downward dog on the couch?

I am almost afraid to ask what a downward dog on the couch is.

megimoo
06-24-2011, 05:18 PM
[QUOTE=Odysseus;427893]Psychotherapy has its uses, but it's at the same stage of development as surgery was when it was done by Medieval barbers. The issue here is not whether the therapy is effective, but whether the practitioner was entrapped. If a decoy presents fake symptoms and the doctor does the necessary tests but they are inconclusive, we don't blame the doctor for prescribing a painkiller under those circumstances. The therapist did his job, and whether or not you see the value in it, he was neither negligent nor coercive.

He has a dog in this race....

Odysseus
06-24-2011, 06:29 PM
I am almost afraid to ask what a downward dog on the couch is.

It's a yoga position.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/diet_column/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/downward-dog.jpg

http://www.howdididoit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/downward-dog-yoga-pose.jpg