PDA

View Full Version : Doctor -- accepts cash, checks, eggs or pie, not insurance

megimoo
06-25-2011, 08:31 PM
Osakis, Minn. Dr. Susan Rutten Wasson sits on the corner of a bed in the cramped bedroom of Alice Johnson, a 91-year-old Osakis resident everyone calls "Grandma Alice." She's examining Johnson's arm, which is swollen, she's determined, because of a tight sleeve cuff.

Also in the room are Alice's daughter, Ione, and granddaughter, Anne, who lives downstairs in the farmhouse Johnson has occupied for decades. A Rottweiler mix as big as a Shetland licks the face of 18-month-old Sarah, Rutten Wasson's daughter, who sits on the doctor's lap.

It's more a scene from the days of frontier medicine than from the modern health care system. And that's because Rutten Wasson, 42, is a throwback to a time before HMOs, electronic health records and hospitals with fountains in their lobbies. She sees patients the same day they call if she's not booked up, spends at least a half-hour per visit compared to the more typical 15 minutes and usually charges only $50 for a consultation. She takes cash or check, but no insurance and sometimes accepts gratuities of a dozen fresh eggs or a pie.

"I have a few bottles of homemade wine in the fridge from patients," says Rutten Wasson. "In summer, I'll get pickles or tomatoes. I've received pork sausage, the kind that would convert a vegetarian."

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/06/20/ground-level-rural-health-care-renegade-rural-doctor/

Madisonian
06-25-2011, 09:01 PM
If she performs a circumcision, does she accept tips?:confused:

pyackog
06-25-2011, 09:11 PM
If she performs a circumcision, does she accept tips?:confused:

What do you think is in the homemade sausage?!?

Articulate_Ape
06-25-2011, 09:48 PM
I think this a great story that won't be told beyond this report.

Rockntractor
06-25-2011, 09:57 PM

I shall tell it to the young ones in the tribe and it shall be retold for many moons around the campfire.

Madisonian
06-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Or it will be the subject of a federal investigation followed by a subpoena to testify in front of Congress and will probably be charged with income tax evasion by the IRS for not declaring the barter value of a dozen eggs as income on her last tax report.

With the way the goobers are totally out of control, care to place a wager?:D

Apache
06-25-2011, 10:20 PM
too true...:(

noonwitch
06-27-2011, 08:49 AM
What do you think is in the homemade sausage?!?

That depends. Does he also run a hotel on the side?

Gingersnap
06-27-2011, 10:00 AM
That's my kind of Doc. I'm seriously considering moving to a high deductible plan. :)