PDA

View Full Version : Don't cut the cheese, Outdoors !

megimoo
06-28-2011, 12:18 AM
City Greenmarket vendors banned from cutting the cheese (NYers need license to slice cheese)

The state has a message for city Greenmarket vendors: Don't cut the cheese!
The state Agriculture Department is enforcing a ban on slicing cheese in the open air - and shoppers complain that the regulation means pre-packaged cheese, which defeats the purpose of buying fresh. [SNIP] Vendors can obtain the license only if they slice cheese in a "permanent" building that excludes pests such as flies and has hot and cold running water and a three-compartment sink. "We do not want dirty utensils used at farmers' markets," Ziehm said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/27/2011-06-27_city_greenmarket_vendors_banned_from_cutting_th e_cheese_outside.html

Odysseus
06-28-2011, 09:31 AM
City Greenmarket vendors banned from cutting the cheese (NYers need license to slice cheese)

The state has a message for city Greenmarket vendors: Don't cut the cheese!
The state Agriculture Department is enforcing a ban on slicing cheese in the open air - and shoppers complain that the regulation means pre-packaged cheese, which defeats the purpose of buying fresh. [SNIP] Vendors can obtain the license only if they slice cheese in a "permanent" building that excludes pests such as flies and has hot and cold running water and a three-compartment sink. "We do not want dirty utensils used at farmers' markets," Ziehm said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/06/27/2011-06-27_city_greenmarket_vendors_banned_from_cutting_th e_cheese_outside.html

This is obviously a clean air issue, but I would think that cutting the cheese in an enclosed space would be more noxious than doing it outside. Personally, I'd rather see it banned in elevators. :D

Gingersnap
06-28-2011, 09:34 AM
This is ridiculous. Can NYC guarantee that every street hotdog is completely "fly-free" while the vendor is preparing it? :mad:

Ranger Rick
06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
This is obviously a clean air issue, but I would think that cutting the cheese in an enclosed space would be more noxious than doing it outside. Personally, I'd rather see it banned in elevators. :D

I believe this is an attempt to forestall EPA regulations. We see this is California. Forcing it in doors makes it self regulating.