PDA

View Full Version : I think that the president is making a political mistake

SarasotaRepub
06-28-2011, 10:18 AM
DU Political Super Geniuses speak!!! (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1372467) Obama is dooooooooomed!!! :eek:

yardwork (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-27-11 02:14 PM
Original message I think that the president is making a political mistake On the eve of New York's historic vote, the president came out strongly in favor of....states' rights.

It's obvious that President Obama is positioning himself to win southern states in the 2012 election, notably North Carolina, which he carried in 2008, and where a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage will be on the ballot. His reference to states' rights is a clear, coded message to white southerners. The last time states' rights were a big deal was during the fight for Civil Rights in the 1950s and 60s. The (southern) states wanted to retain the right to legally discriminate against African Americans. The federal government said no - in a series of landmark U.S. Supreme Court rulings and congressional legislature. The states' lost their bid to keep discrimination legal, and the entire country is the better for that.

Obama now raises the tattered flag of states' rights in an effort to appease and persuade white voters to support him. I understand the cynical political calculation behind this move, but I think it is misguided and I also think it will backfire.

The white southerners who will respond with raised ears and brightened eyes to the dog whistle of "states' rights" are not going to vote for Obama. They didn't vote for him before and they won't vote for him in 2012. Not going to do it. They don't vote for Democrats for president even when the Democrat is a white southerner. They are not going to vote for an African American from Chicago. Ain't going to happen.

And that didn't matter in 2008. Enough people did vote for Barack Obama - including me - that he carried the state of North Carolina, he carried Ohio, he carried Pennsylvania, he carried more than enough states to win the election. The suggestion that fewer people will vote for him in 2012 is preposterous. Even very unpopular presidents usually win reelection. Presidents have to really screw up to lose reelection.

What Obama is doing - in a futile effort to get some white racists who don't like him to vote for him - is ticking off his base. Expressing support for states' rights - of all things! - is just the latest insult thrown in the faces of progressives who volunteered for him, donated money to him, talked their friends and relatives and plumbers into voting for him, and then went out and voted for him in the primaries and on election day.

I think he's doing it because he's more afraid of ticking off the corporations and the right wing than he is of ticking off the progressives. He calculates that we have nowhere else to go, and he may be right. But I fear that his strategy will backfire in places like North Carolina, where victory or defeat depends on only a few votes. In an effort to appeal to those who will never in a million years vote for him, President Obama risks alienating his base.

Even CaliforniaPeggy, a political heavyweight(;)), is questioning "Teh One"...

CaliforniaPeggy (1000+ posts) Mon Jun-27-11 02:20 PM
Response to Original message (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1372467#1372467)

2. He's doing more than just alienating us...He looks weak (to me) as he tries to get the Southerners to vote for him because of his stand on states' rights.

It is pathetic.

He needs to at least look strong. When he stands up for what he really believes in, then the Republicans tend to treat him with more respect.

Damn.

3rd-try
06-28-2011, 11:04 AM
Yardwork....Yea....It's all about race. you pathetic non thinking tool. What do you know about the south? Let me guess...you know what ever your handlers tell you to think, right? Kiss my white southern ass and explain why I'm a Cain supporter. And, try not to do the Uncle Tom thing. Try, for once to come up with an original thought.....probably asking too much.

...and cali-peggy, your way is working so damn well in your state, right?

AmPat
06-28-2011, 12:29 PM
These liberal moronss want to change the entire mindset of the population against the Constitution. They seem to be succeeding. The Constitution LIMITS Federal government. State Rights are key to avoiding the tyranny our founding fathers fought against.

txradioguy
06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
DUmmies believe that once you're in a deep hole you should just keep digging...faster.

Rebel Yell
06-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Yardwork....Yea....It's all about race. you pathetic non thinking tool. What do you know about the south? Let me guess...you know what ever your handlers tell you to think, right? Kiss my white southern ass and explain why I'm a Cain supporter. And, try not to do the Uncle Tom thing. Try, for once to come up with an original thought.....probably asking too much.

...and cali-peggy, your way is working so damn well in your state, right?

According to my very non scientific poll (just talking to people around here), so far most people like Cain. Cain is the man in south GA?

FDK
06-28-2011, 02:36 PM
His reference to states' rights is a clear, coded message to white southerners.

I thought only Republicans talked in secret racial code.

I learned that on DU.:rolleyes:

AmPat
06-28-2011, 07:23 PM
Hey Moonbats, this White Southerner would vote for Herman Cain in a nanosecond if he got the nomination. Explain that if you dare.:cool: