PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have a Problem With Public Officials Who Refuse to Recite the Pledge of Allegi

megimoo
06-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Compromise on Pledge of Allegiance in Oregon Town Has Some Seeing Red

The RED city council in Eugene, Ore., has voted down a proposal to say the Pledge of Allegiance before every meeting. (For more on Eugene and the City Council story, click here.) Do you have a problem with our public officials refusing to recite the Pledge of Allegiance?
snip
Mayor Kitty Piercy called the Pledge of Allegiance divisive. “If there’s one thing the flag stands for,” Piercy says, “it’s that people don’t have to be compelled to say the Pledge of Allegiance or anything else.”
snip
Councilman George Brown voted against the compromise, saying the Pledge of Allegiance had no place at City Hall. “People can say it in their front yard or backyard,” Brown says. “It really doesn’t help move the city business forward. It does not unite us.”

Another pledge opponent, Councilwoman Betty Taylor compared saying the Pledge of Allegiance to reading from "The Communist Manifesto."

The Pledge of Allegiance was written by Francis Bellamy, a Baptist minister, in 1892. It quickly became part of the American fabric. School children said it each day with their hand placed over their hearts. The original pledge did not have the words "under God."

Opinion
Do You Have a Problem With Public Officials Who Refuse to Recite the Pledge of Allegiance?

Ninety one percent of your fellow Americans sure do !

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/06/28/do-have-problem-with-public-officials-who-refuse-to-recite-pledge-allegiance/

obx
06-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Lets hope this is in their newspapers next election.

Rockntractor
06-28-2011, 06:15 PM
I pledge Allegi to the Flagi........

noonwitch
06-29-2011, 08:34 AM
There are probably people of strong faith who refuse to take it, Quakers or Jehovah's Witnesses or some other group. It could be seen as taking an oath-one could say that taking such an oath is a violation of Matthew 5: 33-37.

obx
06-29-2011, 08:37 AM
I would have a problem with them also.

linda22003
06-29-2011, 09:01 AM
How often does this really come up? I've never been in a situation where I've been asked or expected to say the pledge since the sixth grade.

noonwitch
06-29-2011, 09:08 AM
How often does this really come up? I've never been in a situation where I've been asked or expected to say the pledge since the sixth grade.

The last time I remember being expected to say the pledge was in high school, the morning after Reagan got shot.

We said it every day in elementary school, though.