PDA

View Full Version : Undercover Video Gives the Dirt on Pigs in Factory Farms

megimoo
06-29-2011, 07:22 PM
You may not want to eat bacon after watching this. Pig Farm cruelty [VIDEO]

A new undercover video showing gruesome conditions in which pigs are kept at an Iowa factory farm (emphasis on the “factory”) has hit the web, courtesy of the advocacy group Mercy for Animals (MFA). Representatives of MFA will officially present the graphic footage Wednesday during several press conferences, beginning around 11 am EST. Before you tell yourself this has nothing to do with you, take note: MFA has linked this particular pork producer to four major U.S. food retailers, all of which sell meat raised in that factory farm.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/06/29/undercover-video-gives-the-dirt-on-pigs-in-factory-farms/

Apache
06-29-2011, 07:34 PM
F'NING city-slickers....

Ya know what? Grow your own damn food!:mad:

Articulate_Ape
06-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Oh for crying out loud! What, are they supposed to put them to sleep with a lullaby?

Apache
06-29-2011, 07:51 PM
:rolleyes:
Oh for crying out loud! What, are they supposed to put them to sleep with a lullaby?

MFA: THe "new" PETA.......

Phillygirl
06-29-2011, 07:57 PM
It takes a special kind of person to spend their day doing that.

Apache
06-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Clarify???

Phillygirl
06-29-2011, 08:10 PM
It takes a special person to take a living, breathing being and slam it onto the floor or other hard surface in order to crack its skull. And then pick up the next squirming one and do the same...and again, and again, and again...and then break for lunch.

Apache
06-29-2011, 08:14 PM
It takes a special person to take a living, breathing being and slam it onto the floor or other hard surface in order to crack its skull. And then pick up the next squirming one and do the same...and again, and again, and again...and then break for lunch.

Ahhhhh... so you know from the EDITTED video that those piglets were healthy? You know from that EDITTED video exactly what the context was....

M'kay, go vegan....:rolleyes:

Hawkgirl
06-29-2011, 08:15 PM

I wouldn't say special, I'd say mentally disturbed. Same goes for the people who euthanize animals in shelters. Although, they use a more humane method...I still can't imagine a person who injects dogs and cats with a lethal injection, and then goes home and hugs their kid.

Edit: I didn't watch the video. There are certain things that can't be unseen.

Phillygirl
06-29-2011, 08:16 PM
Ahhhhh... so you know from the EDITTED video that those piglets were healthy? You know from that EDITTED video exactly what the context was....

So if the piglet was sick, slamming its head into the floor or counter is a good thing?

Hawkgirl
06-29-2011, 08:18 PM

What do you have against humane methods?

Novaheart
06-29-2011, 08:24 PM

I started to develop an aversion to pig in 1980. I got home late and missed dinner, but the ham was still out in the kitchen so I went to slice some off. The juices ran like an oil slick, with colors, and I never ate ham again.

Now, due to my medical diet I have eliminate chicken, red meat, and pork. Frankly, growing up around chicken houses I don't know how I could eat chicken.

Apache
06-29-2011, 08:26 PM
I wouldn't say special, I'd say mentally disturbed. Same goes for the people who euthanize animals in shelters. Although, they use a more humane method...I still can't imagine a person who injects dogs and cats with a lethal injection, and then go home and hug their kids.

Edit: I didn't watch the video. There are certain things that can't be unseen.

Animals are a contract. You decide to care for them you choose what's best. I had a lamb that wasw stomped, open bone showing, golf ball sized hematomas around the eyes.... kill her fast, or "let her pass", which one is more humane?

The video was editted to show the very worst.

Ask yourself this; Does it make sense for a business to kill its profit?

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 08:27 PM
I started to develop an aversion to pig in 1980. I got home late and missed dinner, but the ham was still out in the kitchen so I went to slice some off. The juices ran like an oil slick, with colors, and I never ate ham again.

Now, due to my medical diet I have eliminate chicken, red meat, and pork. Frankly, growing up around chicken houses I don't know how I could eat chicken.

Just eat smoothies, nothing but smoothies, chocolate smoothies.

Apache
06-29-2011, 08:28 PM
So if the piglet was sick, slamming its head into the floor or counter is a good thing?

shoot it in the head, I don't care.... Dead is Dead....

Apache
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM

What do you consider humane?

Novaheart
06-29-2011, 08:32 PM

I'm actually enjoying a lot of the diet. Truth be told, I am somewhat content to eat baked french fries and ketchup. I have fish for breakfast every other day, with my oen cocktail sauce. The Alvarado Street salt free bread is better than what I am used to, and the salt free peanut butter is good too.

Apache
06-29-2011, 08:40 PM

Also, before you think I'm some heartless bastid, read this (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=35194&page=3). Nacho is 18 weeks old and doing great....:D

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 08:53 PM
Also, before you think I'm some heartless bastid, read this (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?t=35194&page=3). Nacho is 18 weeks old and doing great....:D

He should be ready for chops in about six months.:D

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm actually enjoying a lot of the diet. Truth be told, I am somewhat content to eat baked french fries and ketchup. I have fish for breakfast every other day, with my oen cocktail sauce. The Alvarado Street salt free bread is better than what I am used to, and the salt free peanut butter is good too.

Fish for breakfast is good, especially trout or crappie.

Apache
06-29-2011, 08:56 PM
He should be ready for chops in about six months.:D

No No NoNo I spent WAY too much time with him. Besides, a bottle-baby makes a KILLING with petting zoos...:cool:

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 08:58 PM
No No NoNo I spent WAY too much time with him. Besides, a bottle-baby makes a KILLING with petting zoos...:cool:

As long as he earns his supper.

Apache
06-29-2011, 09:03 PM
As long as he earns his supper.

He does. He does....;)

Phillygirl
06-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Animals are a contract. You decide to care for them you choose what's best. I had a lamb that wasw stomped, open bone showing, golf ball sized hematomas around the eyes.... kill her fast, or "let her pass", which one is more humane?

The very worst is pretty bad.

Hawkgirl
06-29-2011, 09:19 PM

I'm gonna puke.

Articulate_Ape
06-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Yeah, a farmer. Ever slaughtered animals, Philly? Or do you just eat meat with sanctimonious pleasure?

Hawkgirl
06-29-2011, 09:22 PM
What do you consider humane?

I slaughterhouse that kills cows shoots them in the head, a bullet to the brain would probably be less traumatizing.
Honestly, I don't have the answer. I think pain should be minimized, as much as possible to any living creature, even if that creature is going to end up on your dinner plate. Call me crazy.

Articulate_Ape
06-29-2011, 09:23 PM

Define humane.

Articulate_Ape
06-29-2011, 09:24 PM
I slaughterhouse that kills cows shoots them in the head, a bullet to the brain would probably be less traumatizing.
Honestly, I don't have the answer. I think pain should be minimized, as much as possible to any living creature, even if that creature is going to end up on your dinner plate. Call me crazy.

You're crazy.

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
I like to raise my own food, they get treated well and are healthy, they grow up clean with lots of room.
When it's time to go to the freezer they don't know what happened.

Hawkgirl
06-29-2011, 09:26 PM
You're crazy.

Up your's apeboy.

Phillygirl
06-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Yeah, a farmer. Ever slaughtered animals, Philly? Or do you just eat meat with sanctimonious pleasure?

I eat meat with a certain level of guilt. That video probably put me off meat again. I'm not opposed to killing animals for food or for sport. I have a bit of an issue, though, with just picking up baby animals and slamming their heads until their skulls break. And cutting their tails off while they are alive and running about seems a bit on the cruel and unnecessary side to me.

SarasotaRepub
06-29-2011, 09:31 PM
No guilt here, we just got done having chicken legs I did on the grill.

When the little bastids tried to run away I just threw em back on. :)

Novaheart
06-29-2011, 09:34 PM
I eat meat with a certain level of guilt. That video probably put me off meat again. I'm not opposed to killing animals for food or for sport. I have a bit of an issue, though, with just picking up baby animals and slamming their heads until their skulls break. And cutting their tails off while they are alive and running about seems a bit on the cruel and unnecessary side to me.

I watched some PETA video while sitting here with my big cuddly brown eyed Rottweiler. It was messing me up to think about killing Elsie, but then my doggie was supposed to be eating meat. Truth be told, she'd be happy as a pig in mud if I had given her mashed potatoes, green beans, and carrots every day. I'm not sure she actually required meat or would have a clue how to go get some if on her own.

By the way, one of the versions of my homemade black bean and rice burgers, if cooked just right has the same texture and a similar flavor of scrapple.

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 09:43 PM
By the way, one of the versions of my homemade black bean and rice burgers, if cooked just right has the same texture and a similar flavor of scrapple.

Make your beans and rice taste like this!
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/best-rack-of-lamb-recipe.jpg

Hawkgirl
06-29-2011, 09:45 PM
I think I would be fine removing meat from my diet. It's that 4th of July barbq that makes me fall off the wagon.:(

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 09:47 PM
I think I would be fine removing meat from my diet. It's that 4th of July barbq that makes me fall off the wagon.:(

....and the 5th 6th 7th 8th........etc
I only eat vegetarian animals!:D

Phillygirl
06-29-2011, 09:51 PM

I found it wasn't that difficult. But I only eat it about once or twice a week anyway.

lacarnut
06-29-2011, 09:52 PM
Make your beans and rice taste like this!
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/best-rack-of-lamb-recipe.jpg
Damn that looks good. Rare, yum

Apache
06-29-2011, 10:41 PM

So being trucked 500+ miles from your home, marched up a line, seeing those infront drop is less traumatizing?

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 10:43 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/prime20rib202_edited.jpg

Apache
06-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Up your's apeboy.

Hey, you can't stomach dinner....:rolleyes:

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 10:47 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Turkey-Picture.jpg

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 10:52 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/fried-chicken.jpg

Apache
06-29-2011, 10:55 PM

So the over-all health of your meal means nothing .... no pain. right?

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 10:55 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Sausage_1.jpg

Apache
06-29-2011, 10:58 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/fried-chicken.jpg

you're next pig-boi....:mad::p

i'm hungry....:p

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 10:58 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/dblwestern.jpg

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 11:00 PM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/090502-kitten-sandwich.jpg

lacarnut
06-29-2011, 11:06 PM

Oh noes, next it will be the clubbing of baby seals. What's for dinner. If the polar bears like em, they must be tasty.

Articulate_Ape
06-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Up your's apeboy.

What? I was just cooperating with you here. Geez. :confused:

Articulate_Ape
06-29-2011, 11:23 PM

Philly, you have to kill animals to have meat. Farmers cut the heads off of poultry, shoot, shock, pith, or cut the throat of other livestock. They are not given anesthesia, let alone counselling before being castrated, branded, or, if female, forced into being raped by a male that will be a meal one day.

Do you eat eggs or yogurt or cheese? Drink milk? Use leather?

Please. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 11:28 PM
Philly, Use leather?

No, I will not succumb to this temptation, I'm better than this, better.......weakening....weakening.. :eek:

Apocalypse
06-29-2011, 11:31 PM
I am a full time meat cutter. I have been doing it now for almost 20 years. So let me explain a few things.

No processing plant does that.

It wasn't edited, it was stagged.

Howard Hill, a veterinarian and the company's director of external affairs, said Iowa Select was looking into the video but believes the recording gave an inaccurate picture of their operation.

"We're currently in the process of investigating the whole thing," Hill said. "We do know that a lot of this video is inaccurate, that it was staged. But until we get a full investigation done, we're not going to make any specific comments about the video."

This was a tactic PETA used before. They did it to a lab, when they poised as janitors, then when the lab crew left, they trashed the lab, and made it look like the animals there were being horridly treated.

They pulled the same tactic at a chicken processing plant. Where they had sent in moles to take chickens, and video them stomping on their heads and smashing them into the wall. Then claim it was "Standard Practice" at these plants.

In '08 Land O'Lakes was targeted by PETA for buying milk from what appeared to be a filthy dairy farm in Pennsylvania, with numerous cows that looked to be in terrible shape, the Arden Hills-based dairy cooperative.

Here is some thing to think about.

If you smash a young pig on the floor, you are damaging the meat, and making it unusable. You are costing the processor money.

Same with the chickens. No customers will buy a mangled bruised and bloody chicken. Nor want to eat one.

And with the video at the Arden Hills dairy cooperative, for any one who is a farmer will know what I say.

A starved dieing cow, will produce absolutely no milk. They will just lay there dieing. So it is impossible for a dieing cow to produce milk for Land of Lakes to buy for their dairy processing.

These videos are staged, highly edited. Grainy and usually out of focus or shaky. They are meant to rip the heart strings to further their goal of a full veg diet on others. With no truth to them

Had there been truth to them, then these videos would have gone directly to local inspectors, law enforcement and state officials first. Not leaked on some animal rights group web site instead. For the proper method would have resulted in the offending plant being shut down and owners arrested.

Apache
06-29-2011, 11:45 PM
I am a full time meat cutter. I have been doing it now for almost 20 years. So let me explain a few things.

This was a tactic PETA used before. They did it to a lab, when they poised as janitors, then when the lab crew left, they trashed the lab, and made it look like the animals there were being horridly treated.

They pulled the same tactic at a chicken processing plant. Where they had sent in moles to take chickens, and video them stomping on their heads and smashing them into the wall. Then claim it was "Standard Practice" at these plants.

In '08 Land O'Lakes was targeted by PETA for buying milk from what appeared to be a filthy dairy farm in Pennsylvania, with numerous cows that looked to be in terrible shape, the Arden Hills-based dairy cooperative.

If you smash a young pig on the floor, you are damaging the meat, and making it unusable. You are costing the processor money.

Same with the chickens. No customers will buy a mangled bruised and bloody chicken. Nor want to eat one.

And with the video at the Arden Hills dairy cooperative, for any one who is a farmer will know what I say.

A starved dieing cow, will produce absolutely no milk. They will just lay there dieing. So it is impossible for a dieing cow to produce milk for Land of Lakes to buy for their dairy processing.

These videos are staged, highly edited. Grainy and usually out of focus or shaky. They are meant to rip the heart strings to further their goal of a full veg diet on others. With no truth to them

Had there been truth to them, then these videos would have gone directly to local inspectors, law enforcement and state officials first. Not leaked on some animal rights group web site instead. For the proper method would have resulted in the offending plant being shut down and owners arrested.

Editted or staged, it doesn't matter.... you don't do that and stay in business

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 11:49 PM
I am a full time meat cutter.

I'm a baker.:)

Apocalypse
06-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Editted or staged, it doesn't matter.... you don't do that and stay in businessYou don't do that, and stay out of jail for long.

I'm a baker.:)

For real or joke? Our store has a... imitation bakery. It all comes in frozen, and they finish baking it in store.

Rockntractor
06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
You don't do that, and stay out of jail for long.

For real or joke? Our store has a... imitation bakery. It all comes in frozen, and they finish baking it in store.

actually the next guy was supposed to say he was a candlestick maker. Slow on the uptake:confused:

Apocalypse
06-30-2011, 12:05 AM
actually the next guy was supposed to say he was a candlestick maker. Slow on the uptake:confused:
Ah, but not accurate for me. As I said. I am a Meat Cutter, Not a Butcher. I don't kill them, gut them, or skin them. I only cut them up after some one else does that job.

megimoo
06-30-2011, 12:09 AM
No, I will not succumb to this temptation, I'm better than this, better.......weakening....weakening.. :eek:
He's not talking about her underwear, Rock,..For the love of GOD....Get a grip....

Rockntractor
06-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Ah, but not accurate for me. As I said. I am a Meat Cutter, Not a Butcher. I don't kill them, gut them, or skin them. I only cut them up after some one else does that job.

I know meat cutter, good profession. I do all of the above when I have time but often I just take them to the custom processing plant, I also have the added advantage of vacuum packing then.
I do process all my deer myself in late fall.

Phillygirl
06-30-2011, 07:24 AM
So the over-all health of your meal means nothing .... no pain. right?

I don't understand that question.

Phillygirl
06-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Philly, you have to kill animals to have meat. Farmers cut the heads off of poultry, shoot, shock, pith, or cut the throat of other livestock. They are not given anesthesia, let alone counselling before being castrated, branded, or, if female, forced into being raped by a male that will be a meal one day.

Do you eat eggs or yogurt or cheese? Drink milk? Use leather?

I eat all kinds of animal and animal by products. I use leather and have a fur coat. I'm not opposed to killing animals for human consumption in many ways. That doesn't change the fact that watching someone slam a baby pig into the floor sickened me. Watching them cut their tails off while they were still alive and then dropping them into a bin full of other living screaming pigs sickened me as well.

I'm sure there are some people that find pleasure in grabbing the piglets by their hind quarters and hearing the cracking of their skull as they end their lives. I'm simply not one of them.

Phillygirl
06-30-2011, 07:35 AM

Glad to hear that.

SaintLouieWoman
06-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Glad to hear that.
When I was still in St Louis, PETA was a PITA for the Zoo. They and other groups were constantly causing trouble. When I was in the elephant area, had to take my cell phone to call security if they got out of hand. You could tell who they were, always asking leading questions to catch a volunteer saying something that could be construed against them.

I knew for a fact how well the elephants were treated, probably better than most people's kids. The keepers absolutely doted on them and constantly devised ways to make their lives better. I was there at all hours of the night and day (was there around midnight many nights before the baby elies were born).

I got sick of the unrealistic and unfounded rants of those people. I would put nothing past them.