PDA

View Full Version : North Korea Heads UN Disarmament Body

fettpett
06-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Another UN oddity: North Korea heads disarmament body

By Steven Edwards, Postmedia News June 29, 2011

Nuclear-armed North Korea has assumed the presidency of a key United Nations disarmament body — despite facing UN Security Council sanctions over its weapons programs.

UNITED NATIONS — Nuclear-armed North Korea has assumed the presidency of a key United Nations disarmament body — despite facing UN Security Council sanctions over its weapons programs.

The development comes in the same week the UN defended its decision to support Iran's holding of an international "anti-terrorism" conference — which saw participants declaring that Western powers were the international terrorists.

UN officials point out that North Korean ambassador So Se Pyong takes on the presidency of the Geneva-based Conference on Disarmament under rules that say the chair will rotate among all 65 member states in alphabetical order.

But critics said Wednesday the rules should be changed when they allow the body — whose mandate is in part to push for world nuclear disarmament — to be led by a country that the West considers to be an international nuclear renegade.

"No system should tolerate such a fundamental conflict of interests," said Hillel Neuer, executive director of Geneva-based UN Watch, which also led protests against the UN's input at the Iranian "anti-terrorism" conference.

"It's common sense that a disarmament body should not be headed by the world's arch-villain on illegal weapons and nuclear proliferation, notorious for exporting missiles and nuclear know-how to fellow rogue regimes around the globe."

Once a party to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, North Korea pulled out in 2003 after violating it, then conducted its first nuclear bomb test in 2006, and is believed to have stockpiled up to eight nuclear warheads.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/news/Another+oddity+North+Korea+heads+disarmament+body/5026018/story.html#ixzz1Qov9zUrg

WTF....time to pull out is now

Articulate_Ape
07-01-2011, 12:04 AM
The time to pull out was 20 years ago.

Rockntractor
07-01-2011, 12:14 AM
Welcome our new allies comrades.

SaintLouieWoman
07-01-2011, 12:16 PM
The old form over substance gang. :rolleyes:

NJCardFan
07-01-2011, 03:17 PM
This is par for the course for the UN. Didn't they put Syria on the human rights commission?

noonwitch
07-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Should I laugh or cry?

Tecate
07-01-2011, 05:14 PM
That's like appointing Al Capone as Chairman of Ethics.

Articulate_Ape
07-01-2011, 08:08 PM
That's like appointing Al Capone as Chairman of Ethics.

That's the Useless Nations for you. Remember which country was elected to chair the UN Human Rights Commission back in 2003?

None other than Libya. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2672029.stm)

I hope that if/when we are able to wrest this country back from the commies on the Left, we can end the charade that is the UN once and for all. Cut our funding and kick the the bastards out of the US and the silly dictator club will fizzle like Anthony Weiner's political career.

NJCardFan
07-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Libya. Knew it was one of those terrorist countries.

Articulate_Ape
07-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Libya. Knew it was one of those terrorist countries.

Amazing idiocy, isn't it? The UN is a bad joke.

Rockntractor
07-02-2011, 12:10 AM
They are welcome to trot on over at any time to try and disarm us.
I would cook up a batch of tree bark and discuss it over lunch!

fettpett
07-02-2011, 09:29 AM
They are welcome to trot on over at any time to try and disarm us.
I would cook up a batch of tree bark and discuss it over lunch!

hey you should do some grubs, give them something they are use to eating:D

AmPat
07-02-2011, 12:03 PM
It is so absurd for us to be in this idiotic UN that I can only assume that our membership is supported by liberals. I cannot fathom any Conservative supporting this farce of an organization under any circumstances.

Madisonian
07-02-2011, 08:03 PM
I don't care who disarms the UN be it N. Korea, the U.S. or Lichtenstein.
Once they disarm the UN, they can behead it (make the Muzzies happy), chop its legs off, disembowel it and throw it on the trash heap of history with Wilson's League of Nations and the World Football League.

namvet
07-02-2011, 08:26 PM
The development comes in the same week the UN defended its decision to support Iran's holding of an international "anti-terrorism" conference which saw participants declaring that Western powers were the international terrorists.

nough said