PDA

View Full Version : Texan Wins Controversial 'White Man' Scholarship

djones520
07-02-2011, 12:41 PM
controversial non-profit organization announced it has awarded the second of five academic scholarships to a Texas man. Among the criteria: the recipient must be white and male. The group sponsoring it says it's the only scholarship of its kind in the United States, My Fox Dallas-Fort Worth reports.

The award was presented by a group called the Former Majority Association for Equality. Its president, Colby Bohannon, says he has been called a racist and compared to the KKK.

"We're not racists. We have no agenda for bigotry," said Bohannon. "We're not trying to take away anything from any other group. We're just trying to help poor, Caucasian males afford college."

Recipient Brendan Baird is studying to become a physician's assistant, and the awarded $500 check will help him to pay for schooling.

To win, he had to demonstrate a high GPA, community service, sports ability and financial need. But what really sealed the deal is the fact that he is a white man.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/02/texan-wins-controversial-white-man-scholarship/

Good for him.

Novaheart
07-02-2011, 01:03 PM
As I understand it, some white people attend University Of Maryland Eastern Shore (formerly an officially black and now nearly all black college) on full boat "diversity scholarships".

jnkbortka
07-02-2011, 01:07 PM
what about the United Negro College Fund? is that not racist? :rolleyes:

Kay
07-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Glad to see this.
Every other racial/gender class has exclusive scholarships available.

djones520
07-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Personally, i'm against the idea all together. But if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

ColonialMarine0431
07-02-2011, 01:54 PM
what about the United Negro College Fund? is that not racist? :rolleyes:

How's about a United Whitey College Fund? :D

Rockntractor
07-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Goose and gander college fund.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/imagesqtbnANd9GcRnCMrhnHPsFPQL8vUbDBiqc0tqpzzKB0dE NhQSVYe_rHntTDjaigt1.jpg

Kay
07-02-2011, 02:00 PM
The thing to remember is that most scholarship dollars come from individual donors who want to give back and promote a particular school as an alumni, or particular class of people they align with (black, hispanic, gay, white doesn't matter). My Dad used to give an annual scholarship to any high school senior in our town who planned to major in Petroleum Engineering at UT Austin. That's where he wanted his money to go to help some underprivileged kid follow in his footsteps. He didn't want his donations as a UT alumni going to some dweebie artsy type.

The group giving out this scholarship is spending their own money in the way they want it spent. I applaud them for doing it. Not because they are white, but because they cut the PC crap and just did it.

JB
07-02-2011, 02:01 PM
As I understand it, some white people attend University Of Maryland Eastern Shore (formerly an officially black and now nearly all black college) on full boat "diversity scholarships".So what's that have to do with the OP?

djones520
07-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Goose and gander college fund.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/imagesqtbnANd9GcRnCMrhnHPsFPQL8vUbDBiqc0tqpzzKB0dE NhQSVYe_rHntTDjaigt1.jpg

There we go! Only Geese get scholarships.

CueSi
07-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Personally, i'm against the idea all together. But if it's good for the goose, it's good for the gander.

Basically.. :) If I had the money, I would start one. . . and partially to rebirth the men's minor sports (gymnastics, wrestling, swimming, etc.) that got eaten up in Title IX idiocy.

~QC

Novaheart
07-02-2011, 04:05 PM
So what's that have to do with the OP?

Often the perception is that the only race based scholarships or scholarship-preferences white people get are those sponsored by backlash. Now the sociologists and some others would argue that it's too narrow a view to point out that (edit: blacks) are 12.6% of the population and get a disproportionate share of scholarship money or preferences. These people would maintain that you need to look at the legacy of blacks being excluded from higher education and the effect that had on parents being able to send their kids to college, black people being able to attend good public or private high schools, and legacy admissions and scholarships for white students whose families have been able to go to college for centuries.

Articulate_Ape
07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
There we go! Only Geese get scholarships. But all of the other birds will cry foul.

enslaved1
07-02-2011, 05:15 PM
Often the perception is that the only race based scholarships or scholarship-preferences white people get are those sponsored by backlash. Now the sociologists and some others would argue that it's too narrow a view to point out that whites are 12.6% of the population and get a disproportionate share of scholarship money or preferences. These people would maintain that you need to look at the legacy of blacks being excluded from higher education and the effect that had on parents being able to send their kids to college, black people being able to attend good public or private high schools, and legacy admissions and scholarships for white students whose families have been able to go to college for centuries.

So what? Those days are long over. Everyone on both sides need to get over it and move on. That means certain white folks need to stop feeling guilty about things their great-great-grandparents did and didn't do, and various ethnic groups need to stop using those events as excuses. Opportunity and means to do pretty much anything, be it college, starting businesses, getting work, exist for everyone willing to put forth effort and time.

Novaheart
07-03-2011, 11:53 AM
So what? Those days are long over.

The construct of the concept of institutional racism is that while slavery is long over, and the laws have been changed, we have to consider the effects which transcend generations. A given white person may not have inherited money from his ancestors, or even good breeding, but a great many white people alive today have benefited one way or another from the privilege of being white that their ancestors enjoyed in this nation.

Now here is where the reparationists lose me. Their mantra is that my family was built on stolen "free" labor when in fact slave labor was not free. There are business records of farmers showing how much it cost to the penny to feed, clothe, and shelter those slaves in addition to the allowances they earned on many farms. As such, I don't see where a white farm hand in New York who is working for food, clothing, and shelter would be making hugely more than a slave in Maryland except perhaps that the food, clothing, and shelter were of better quality. Even so, his legacy of whiteness would be that his children could probably go to school whereas the slave children could not. More recently, a lot of white people still alive inherited houses, business, or other assets from their parents and grandparents who did indeed live in privilege relative to blacks if not to other whites. A third generation dirt farmer in some places is living on land a black man's grandfather could not have owned. So there is a case for the institutional racism idea, even if I don't buy it to the point of cash reparations.

Madisonian
07-03-2011, 03:10 PM
The construct of the concept of institutional racism is that while slavery is long over, and the laws have been changed, we have to consider the effects which transcend generations. A given white person may not have inherited money from his ancestors, or even good breeding, but a great many white people alive today have benefited one way or another from the privilege of being white that their ancestors enjoyed in this nation.

Now here is where the reparationists lose me. Their mantra is that my family was built on stolen "free" labor when in fact slave labor was not free. There are business records of farmers showing how much it cost to the penny to feed, clothe, and shelter those slaves in addition to the allowances they earned on many farms. As such, I don't see where a white farm hand in New York who is working for food, clothing, and shelter would be making hugely more than a slave in Maryland except perhaps that the food, clothing, and shelter were of better quality. Even so, his legacy of whiteness would be that his children could probably go to school whereas the slave children could not. More recently, a lot of white people still alive inherited houses, business, or other assets from their parents and grandparents who did indeed live in privilege relative to blacks if not to other whites. A third generation dirt farmer in some places is living on land a black man's grandfather could not have owned. So there is a case for the institutional racism idea, even if I don't buy it to the point of cash reparations.

I will agree that there may be individuals that have been affected by institutional racism in the past, but it was not limited to slaves of African descent.
Every slave state also had non-white European slave holders as well and not all slaves or indentured servants were from the African continent.
It seems if you go back to the beginning of country's history to the present moment, there has always been a persecuted ethnic class or culture. Some have just been better at letting go of the past and moving forward than others.