PDA

View Full Version : Bad Nightmare for Dems Coming Next Year.

Apocalypse
07-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Democrats and liberals have a nightmare vision of the Supreme Court's future: President Barack Obama is defeated for re-election next year and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, at 78 the oldest justice, soon finds her health will not allow her to continue on the bench.

The new Republican president appoints Ginsburg's successor, cementing conservative domination of the court, and soon the justices roll back decisions in favor of abortion rights and affirmative action.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/07/02/us/politics/AP-US-Supreme-Court-Future.html?hp

Just think of the social and justice issues that would shift dramatically right if Obama is defeated, and her replacement is picked by a Republican POTUS.

fettpett
07-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Just think of the social and justice issues that would shift dramatically right if Obama is defeated, and he's replacement is picked by a Conservative POTUS.

fixed that for you

I really don't want Romney or Huntsman to pick the SCOTUS appointee. I'd rather have Cain or Bachmann do it.

Articulate_Ape
07-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Personally, I think that the first case that needs overturning is Kelo v. City of New London. If property rights are no longer acknowledged by the government, then all to other cases, whether social, moral, or whatever are moot IMHO. Without them you have no civil society, you have tyranny.

Madisonian
07-02-2011, 07:47 PM
A non Obama presidency is no guarantee.
Souter - GHWB
Kennedy - Reagan
O'Connor - Reagan
JP Stevens - Ford
Blackmun - Nixon

If Ginsburg retires and an R is the President, there will be overwhelming pressure to replace her with a political moderate, at least to maintain a sense of "balance". Even if the R's have the House and Senate as well as the top spot, the D's won't make it easy to put in another Alito, Thomas, Roberts or Scalia.

Articulate_Ape
07-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Souter. What a tool.

I agree, Madman.

Apocalypse
07-02-2011, 08:26 PM
That may be true, but is Perry or Bachmann win, or someone like them. I could see them fighting for a right leaning SCOTUS pick.

Articulate_Ape
07-02-2011, 08:35 PM
That may be true, but is Perry or Bachmann win, or someone like them. I could see them fighting for a right leaning SCOTUS pick.

Perry isn't running (yet) and Bachmann cannot win because she would have to get the Independent vote and they will stay home if she's the nominee. That's just the reality.

fettpett
07-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Perry isn't running (yet) and Bachmann cannot win because she would have to get the Independent vote and they will stay home if she's the nominee. That's just the reality.

I don't think so, If she can get her message out, which is pretty mainstream conservative they'll vote for her. plus people are seeing what kind of a tool the WH and MSM are being toward her

Constitutionally Speaking
07-02-2011, 11:55 PM
A non Obama presidency is no guarantee.
Souter - GHWB
Kennedy - Reagan
O'Connor - Reagan
JP Stevens - Ford
Blackmun - Nixon

If Ginsburg retires and an R is the President, there will be overwhelming pressure to replace her with a political moderate, at least to maintain a sense of "balance". Even if the R's have the House and Senate as well as the top spot, the D's won't make it easy to put in another Alito, Thomas, Roberts or Scalia.

Since W's Harriet Meyers fiasco though, I THINK most Republicans have wised up to the fact that the court has been politicized by the left for quite a while and that they NEED to appoint real conservatives.

lacarnut
07-03-2011, 12:10 AM

The Magic Negro is going to have trouble getting the turnout he had last year. With so many young uns that can not find jobs, the hopey and changey is not going to cut it this time. The thrill is gone and it is looking worse and worse.

I think any Repub except Dr Nutz can beat Obama. With unemployment high and the economy in the dumps, Bachmann would attract the majority of independents and would trounce him. I sure as hell do not want a RINO like Romney. Screw that.