PDA

View Full Version : Statue of Ronald Reagan joins Churchill, Nelson and Wellington in London

bijou
07-04-2011, 10:37 AM
http://orderorder.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/gipper1.jpg?w=480&h=288

Foreign Secretary William Hague and former US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will attend the US Embassy in London to reveal the 10-foot bronze figure.

Ms Rice is representing the late president's widow Nancy Reagan at the ceremony, which coincides with the US Independence Day celebrations.

He joins the ranks of great men and women whose statues adorn our London streets; Nelson, Wellington, Lincoln, Churchill, Roosevelt, Edith Cavell and Nelson Mandela.

Mr Hague said: "As a Briton, as a Conservative and as a passionate admirer of America, I am proud that we have made a home here in the centre of our city for President Ronald Reagan.

"Statues bring us to face to face with our heroes long after they are gone.

"Ronald Reagan is without question a great American hero; one of America’s finest sons, and a giant of 20th Century history. You may be sure that the people of London will take this statue to their hearts."

Mr Hague said Baroness Thatcher could not be at the unveiling because of ill health. But he read out the speech she would have made.

"Ronald Reagan was a great President and a great man - a true leader for our times," wrote Baroness Thatcher.

"He held clear principles and acted upon them with purpose. Through his strength and his conviction he brought millions of people to freedom as the Iron Curtain finally came down. It was a pleasure to be his colleague and his friend and I hope that this statue will be a reminder to future generations of the debt we owe him.” ...link to article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8615292/Statue-of-Ronald-Reagan-joins-Churchill-Nelson-and-Wellington-in-London.html)

link to pic (http://order-order.com/2011/07/04/the-gipper/)

Bailey
07-04-2011, 10:40 AM
This is a very kind gesture on your countries part and I thank you :)

The added benefit is that the DUmmies are very pissed off over this statue :D

Apocalypse
07-04-2011, 11:02 AM
This is a very kind gesture on your countries part and I thank you :)

The added benefit is that the DUmmies are very pissed off over this statue :D
Yea that Reagan will be there, but Obama will never make it.

Bailey
07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Yea that Reagan will be there, but Obama will never make it.

I agree but could you imagine the outcry from the DU crowd if he'd had gone there for the dedication? I would've payed real money to see that

Apocalypse
07-04-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree but could you imagine the outcry from the DU crowd if he'd had gone there for the dedication? I would've payed real money to see that
The outcry will be golden enough just for the statue.

DU would have ether melted down, or claimed it was further proof that he still tries to reach across the isle, or is Reagan like in his greatness. Or "How humble he is".

Plus he would have tried making a speech apologizing for all the good Reagan did while president.

Bailey
07-04-2011, 11:12 AM
The outcry will be golden enough just for the statue.

DU would have ether melted down, or claimed it was further proof that he still tries to reach across the isle, or is Reagan like in his greatness. Or "How humble he is".

Plus he would have tried making a speech apologizing for all the good Reagan did while president.

Its sad that the Brits think he was a great leader and the liberal part of this country doesn't. :mad:

Apocalypse
07-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Its sad that the Brits think he was a great leader and the liberal part of this country doesn't. :mad:
In all fairness its all politics.

Had it been Clinton they were erecting a statue of there, we would likely not be in agreement he should be.

They hate our side, fair or not.
We hate their side, fair or not.

Bailey
07-04-2011, 12:45 PM
In all fairness its all politics.

Had it been Clinton they were erecting a statue of there, we would likely not be in agreement he should be.

They hate our side, fair or not.
We hate their side, fair or not.

I dont think Clinton was a real bad president (except for the lies and the law breaking) I wouldnt be up in arms over it. I didnt like him but not with the hate i have for obama lol

But any objective person can agree Reagan did more good for the world during a trying time (cold war) then Clinton did in peace.

jendf
07-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Nice words from Margaret Thatcher:

Ronald Reagan was a great President and a great man - a true leader for our times.He held clear principles and acted upon them with purpose. Through his strength and his conviction he brought millions of people to freedom as the Iron Curtain finally came down. It was a pleasure to be his colleague and his friend and I hope that this statue will be a reminder to future generations of the debt we owe him.

SaintLouieWoman
07-04-2011, 01:37 PM
This is how it should be with US/Brit relationships. Obama is an abomination who acted with no class when he returned the statue of Churchill. There is a large tribute to the man at a college in Fulton, Mo, Westminster College.

Obama does not seem to understand the tradition of our long time allies. He's too busy placating the muslim nations.

linda22003
07-04-2011, 04:51 PM

You're implying that the Brits are of one mind, and they are not.

Bailey
07-04-2011, 04:59 PM

Ok some/most/great part of/minority/ take your pick, but all liberals are of the same mind on Reagan.

Rockntractor
07-04-2011, 05:44 PM

Cumbersome, I prefer 'You imply the Brits are single minded, wrong.':D

Articulate_Ape
07-04-2011, 07:21 PM
This is how it should be with US/Brit relationships. Obama is an abomination who acted with no class when he returned the statue of Churchill. There is a large tribute to the man at a college in Fulton, Mo, Westminster College.

Obama does not seem to understand the tradition of our long time allies. He's too busy placating the muslim nations.

SLW, you read my mind. That was my exact reaction to this story. Obama may not think we have a "Special Relationship" with Britain, but I can assure all Brits that the vast majority of the American people do.

And it's not just because we kicked your toothless asses out of our country a couple of centuries ago and we like to gloat, it's because we shared the womb of history.

Thanks for the honor. We are lucky to have you as a friend.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
07-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Ok some/most/great part of/minority/ take your pick, but all liberals are of the same mind on Reagan.

Not really. I look at Reagan the way Reagan looked at FDR when he was President: Don't agree with his politics or policies, but he was a good leader whose optimism and charm lifted the country's spirit at a time when it was in despair. A leader necessary for his time, who inherited a nation troubled spiritually and economically and whom by the time he left office left the nation arguably better than he found it.

FDR and Reagan were quite alike in some ways. Both weren't considered the most bright intellectually speaking, and relied on anecdotes, both followed men who were considered incredibly poor leaders, both were men known for their keen wit and sense of humor, both were men who were respected or at least personally liked even by their staunchest adversaries in politics, both were men who led this nation to victory through two of it's greatest wars, both believed in America and believed God was needed in America. Both men won re-election in massive landslides.

The shadow of both men hung over their respective parties long after their departure from politics; FDR was still invoked as the Democratic Party's greatest icon for over 30 years after his death; Reagan is still the GOP's biggest Presidential idol today. Both shifted the country as a whole in their political direction and influenced politics decades after their exits from office; FDR created a strong Democratic coalition that lasted for over 30 years and sent the country leftward for nearly 40 years. Reagan created a Republican coalition which lasts to this day and his policies have gradually seen this country grow more to the right wing.

Both FDR and Reagan were followed by good intentioned, no nonsense, handpicked successors who did expertly in foreign policy and dealt AWESOMELY with the foreign policy dillemas they were handed. Truman brought WWII to a victorious, triumphant conclusion for America and deftly handled the beginning of the Cold War as well as great ideas like the Marshall Plan.

GHW Bush expertly handled the Gulf War and handled the great potential for instability which existed when the USSR fell in a masterful fashion. But both Truman and GHW Bush in their respective parties, and in America's eyes in general, never could quite live up to the larger than life, charismatic personas of the men they followed into the White House, and both Truman and Bush were never all that successful on the home front and suffered defeats in Congressional elections and ultimately weren't re-elected. Both men had mediocre reputations upon leaving office, and their reputations have only gotten better with time.

And finally, both Truman and Bush were followed by centrist Presidents who could've turned the tide of FDR and Reagan but ended up continuing their legacy, despite their own political : Eisenhower balanced the budget while also enlarging the New Deal and expanding Social Security--Conservatives wanted him to capitalize on his victories and end the New Deal; Clinton signed Welfare Reform into law, balanced the budget, and even was in secret negotiations to privatize Social Security--All pretty non-Liberal positions. Both Ike and Clinton presided over economic booms.

SaintLouieWoman
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
SLW, you read my mind. That was my exact reaction to this story. Obama may not think we have a "Special Relationship" with Britain, but I can assure all Brits that the vast majority of the American people do.

And it's not just because we kicked your toothless asses out of our country a couple of centuries ago and we like to gloat, it's because we shared the womb of history.

Thanks for the honor. We are lucky to have you as a friend.

This is the tribute to Winston Churchill in Missouri. It is as it should be. Our staunchest ally should have been treated better. Obama is a disgrace. The Brits are our best ally, not the French surrender monkeys.

I've visited the Churchill Memorial in Fulton several times. The headquarters of the company that first gave me a chance to be in sales vs teaching was in the area. When I'd drive to meetings from the St Louis office, I generally stopped in Fulton.

http://www.churchillmemorial.org/aboutus/Pages/default.aspx