PDA

View Full Version : North Texas Police K9 Dies After Being Left In Hot Car

SarasotaRepub
07-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Friggen dumbass... (http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/07/01/north-texas-police-k9-dies-after-being-left-in-hot-car/) :mad:

GREENVILLE (CBSDFW.COM) – A K9 officer in Greenville has died.
The Greenville Police Department is grieving over the loss of one of its two police dogs. Her name was Liberty, but she died trapped in the back of a hot squad car. Her handler apparently forgot to put her in the police department kennel when he got off work Wednesday afternoon. “This is a difficult time for the Greenville Police Department,” Chief Dan Busken told CBS 11 News. And he adds the officer feels terrible. “He’s devastated, and I don’t know if that term is even strong enough.”

AmPat
07-05-2011, 01:34 PM
How do you "forget" your partner? This doesn't pass the smell test. This Officer needs some investigation. Even as a civilian, you don't just forget that you have an animal in the car with you. As an Officer in a K-9 unit, there is one special piece of required hardware that makes you a K-9 unit. I don't get it.:mad:

Wei Wu Wei
07-05-2011, 01:40 PM
This is so terrible. Cars can become so hot. There's been so many cases of people and pets dying after being left in cars you would think people would know by now.

Hell I left a couple of cans of Dr Pepper in a car this weekend and a few hours later I found that they had exploded from the heat.

I can't imagine how hot it really gets in a closed vehicle.

djones520
07-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Hell I left a couple of cans of Dr Pepper in a car this weekend and a few hours later I found that they had exploded from the heat.

I opened a bottle of water left in my truck the other day, and literally burned my lips as I tried drinking it. It's no joke.

jendf
07-05-2011, 02:46 PM
This happened in the valley a couple of years ago. The officer received death threats and his career in law enforcement was essentially ruined.

But these same people who make death threats when a dog is killed don't even bat an eyelash when a parent does the same thing with their baby.

The double standard ticks me off.

If you're going to get angry about the dead dogs, get angry about the dead babies too.

We get at least 1-2 cases of dead babies in cars each year here. The chorus is always the same. "It was an accident. Let the parents grieve." So frustrating.

AmPat
07-05-2011, 03:05 PM
This happened in the valley a couple of years ago. The officer received death threats and his career in law enforcement was essentially ruined.

But these same people who make death threats when a dog is killed don't even bat an eyelash when a parent does the same thing with their baby.

If you're going to get angry about the dead dogs, get angry about the dead babies too.

We get at least 1-2 cases of dead babies in cars each year here. The chorus is always the same. "It was an accident. Let the parents grieve." So frustrating.

Agreed. I don't even leave a plant in the car. How does anybody do this in ignorance when we know what WILL happen? This is inexcusable.

lacarnut
07-05-2011, 03:12 PM

I can't imagine how hot it really gets in a closed vehicle.

We don't call you a dummy for nothing.:eek::p

Starbuck
07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I once had to measure the temperature inside a phone company van in Florida when I was selling them some test equipment.

In the back it got to 140 degrees.

Madisonian
07-05-2011, 08:29 PM
The handler should be sentenced to 10 hours inside a closed car under a beating sun.
Then fired and sent to Arpaio's tent city for good measure.

Phillygirl
07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
It's a tragedy, but my guess is that it really was completely unintentional. I can't see condemning the guy for what was just a clear mistake. There is a difference between purposely leaving a dog, kid, or pain in the ass spouse in the car, and merely having a mistake of brain power.

Madisonian
07-05-2011, 08:48 PM
It's a tragedy, but my guess is that it really was completely unintentional. I can't see condemning the guy for what was just a clear mistake. There is a difference between purposely leaving a dog, kid, or pain in the ass spouse in the car, and merely having a mistake of brain power.

Yeah...
I want a guy with a gun and a badge to have this kind of mistake of brain power.
His next mistake could be a kid with a lunch box and he mistook it for a gun.

Phillygirl
07-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Yeah...
I want a guy with a gun and a badge to have this kind of mistake of brain power.
His next mistake could be a kid with a lunch box and he mistook it for a gun.

Nobody's perfect all of the time. I suspect he's pretty devastated by it. There was a case here a few years back where a grandfather forget to drop his grandchild off at daycare. The kid died in the car. I never thought they should have charged him. Sometimes things happen and they are completely unintentional and a tragedy results. I'm not ready to crucify someone where there's been absolutely no intention to do harm.

Kay
07-05-2011, 10:38 PM
I can't see condemning the guy for what was just a clear mistake.

WTF....

Nobody's perfect all of the time.
I suspect he's pretty devastated by it.

So is the dead dog.

Zero excuse in my opinion.
He is not fit to be partnered with a K-9.
You don't just forget a dog in the car,
particularly your working partner dog.
He should be executed.
Death by confinement in a hot car.

fettpett
07-05-2011, 10:44 PM
He should be executed.

good grief, it's his partner and he should have been more careful and was for 11 years. this guy STARTED the K-9 unit and raised this dog from a puppy. It was an accident. The dog was probably sleeping and he had paperwork to do. Tragic mistake but in the end it's a DOG.

jendf
07-05-2011, 11:04 PM
WTF....

So is the dead dog.

Zero excuse in my opinion.
He is not fit to be partnered with a K-9.
You don't just forget a dog in the car,
particularly your working partner dog.
He should be executed.

Seriously?

Kay
07-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Tragic mistake but in the end it's a DOG.

I hold my dog friends in higher regard than I do most people I know.

Seriously?

Yes seriously.
Maybe not execute him dead if that offends you,
just strap him in a hot car till his blood and bodily
fluids start to boil just a little, till he gets right to the
brink of death, then fish him out and leave him laying
on the hot pavement till he regains consciousness.
I hope he's haunted by this a long time.
I have no sympathy here.

jendf
07-05-2011, 11:35 PM

Yes seriously.
I have no sympathy here.

It doesn't offend me. Just makes me sad.

fettpett
07-06-2011, 08:18 AM

Yes seriously.
I have no sympathy here.

so you put more value on an animals life than a human's? :confused:

it was an accident, it happens, EVEN to people who like animals more than people

linda22003
07-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Then you'll be pleased to see there's a prosecution underway in my area:

Prince William mother charged with felony murder in toddler’s hot-van death
Josh White, Published: July 5
A Prince William County mother of three, whose toddler son died last month after he was left in the family’s minivan for about seven hours, was indicted Tuesday on charges of felony murder and child neglect.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/prince-william-mother-who-left-toddler-in-van-charged-with-felony-murder/2011/07/05/gHQA7A5pzH_story.html

AmPat
07-06-2011, 09:38 AM

He was a K-9 Officer. K-9, short for canine. How does this pass as a simple mistake? Officers don't leave their guns in the car when off duty. They take ALL their equipment with them. If I were an officer in a K-9 unit, I would never forget that my canine was the biggest part of my job and the part that defined the type officer I was.
It just doesn't make sense. Was he smoking crack?

Gingersnap
07-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Ironically, the officer, Jeff Gore, created the K-9 unit 11-years ago. He raised Liberty from a pup. A bloodhound, she was used for search and rescue, which is why she was kenneled. The other dog, Ceiko, is a drug sniffing German Shepherd, and goes home with its handler because they get called out at all hours.

So this incredibly evil and unbelievably stupid guy manages to cork all these horrifying tendencies for years - even while raising the puppy he will be itching to kill some years down the road?

Parents do leave their kids in blistering hot cars and sometimes they die. Sometimes this is because the parents were drunk or drugged or too busy banging some lust-interest to keep track of time. Sometimes careful, loving parents simply get distracted and tragedy happens. I guess we all think that such a thing could never happen to any of us. I've thought that myself.

I think this is a horrible accident. I think this guy is completely destroyed by his error. Assuming he was not drunk, drugged, or sexually engaged, whatever official penalties he may face, I doubt that anything the department or the courts can do him will be anywhere near the punishment he's dishing out to himself right now.

I hope this story will spur some inventor-type to come up with a device parents and pet owners can use that will prevent this from ever happening. :(

Madisonian
07-06-2011, 06:44 PM
So this incredibly evil and unbelievably stupid guy manages to cork all these horrifying tendencies for years - even while raising the puppy he will be itching to kill some years down the road?

Parents do leave their kids in blistering hot cars and sometimes they die. Sometimes this is because the parents were drunk or drugged or too busy banging some lust-interest to keep track of time. Sometimes careful, loving parents simply get distracted and tragedy happens. I guess we all think that such a thing could never happen to any of us. I've thought that myself.

I think this is a horrible accident. I think this guy is completely destroyed by his error. Assuming he was not drunk, drugged, or sexually engaged, whatever official penalties he may face, I doubt that anything the department or the courts can do him will be anywhere near the punishment he's dishing out to himself right now.

I hope this story will spur some inventor-type to come up with a device parents and pet owners can use that will prevent this from ever happening. :(

They are already out there. Link (http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2011/04/21/news/doc4daf62978f320544149794.txt)

If I can find a link in 10 minutes, I am sure the K9 units in the police newsletters, boards and stuff could have found them if they cared.
Another 5 minutes looking...
http://www.rsg-ontop.com/assets/shop/products/downloads/k9alertprodspec.pdf

djones520
07-06-2011, 08:11 PM
They are already out there. Link (http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2011/04/21/news/doc4daf62978f320544149794.txt)

If I can find a link in 10 minutes, I am sure the K9 units in the police newsletters, boards and stuff could have found them if they cared.
Another 5 minutes looking...
http://www.rsg-ontop.com/assets/shop/products/downloads/k9alertprodspec.pdf

So would every parent whose never thought to look for that one who doesn't care as well?

Kay
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
so you put more value on an animals life than a human's? :confused:

In most instances, yes that would be correct.
If my boss and my dog were both drowning,
and I could only save one, it would be the dog.
And I like my boss.

Madisonian
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
So would every parent whose never thought to look for that one who doesn't care as well?

Little bit of a difference. Parents and pet owners might not know about something like this, but cops have associations and newsletters and should have known. Or maybe they did but it would have cut into their doughnut time to check it out.
I'm not saying the cop did not care about the dog, but as the originator of the K9 unit and being in Texas, where rumor has it it sometimes gets hot, it does not take a genius to think "Hmmm, I've had dogs as a partner for 11 years and it gets hot down here. I wonder..."
I am sure he is devastated. I am sure her is tearing himself apart.
And I am sure his partner is still dead.

fettpett
07-06-2011, 11:11 PM
In most instances, yes that would be correct.
If my boss and my dog were both drowning,
and I could only save one, it would be the dog.
And I like my boss.

:rolleyes: