PDA

View Full Version : Service members input requested

Madisonian
07-05-2011, 09:03 PM
My just out of HS 18 year old grand daughter is thinking of joining the Army.
She is a bit head strong but has also been a bit non-committal in the past (a year ago she was determined to go to chef's school)
Her mom, dad and DW think she's nuts.
I think it would be a good idea for her to enlist in one of the branches. I think it would give her the discipline and direction that has been somewhat missing in her life lately.
Of course she has talked to the recruiters and no offense intended, but I know that what they say and promise and reality can be 2 different things, at least it was that way in the past and I know a few guys that were um... somewhat misled by the sales pitch.

My question to you guys and gals in the service now...
Which branch would you recommend and what should she expect? I know it seems a bit odd, but I have talked to a few people at work that were former Marines, Air Force, Army and Navy and almost all of them recommended any branch but the one they were in.

Thanks.

Apocalypse
07-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I'm not Mil. they didn't want me. But my two cents would be to look at what her personal interest and skills are.

You say she has a past of noncommittal, then have you thought of maybe suggesting the National Guard? And if she goes that route and finds she likes the military life, then re-upping to regular Army. Plus when my friend Scott thought military life for him was the thing, then later found out it wasn't. he was able to walk away by repaying his signing bonus they gave him, and no re-percussions. Not to say every unit would be that way, but the guard tends to be a bit more lenient then the other corps.

Starbuck
07-05-2011, 09:59 PM
I spent 9 years in the navy. I recommend it.

Coast Guard is a very good alternative.

I think describing an 18 year old as non committal is a bit harsh. A "committed" 18 year old usually means they are institutionalized. Who among us walked a straight line from the age of 18 onward?:confused:

djones520
07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
The best advise I can give is to have her speak to all the Recruitors first. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, and even National Guard and Reserves.

After hearing what all have to offer, and what all expect, she can know without a doubt that the Air Force is the best. :D

fettpett
07-06-2011, 01:22 PM
The best advise I can give is to have her speak to all the Recruitors first. Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, Coast Guard, and even National Guard and Reserves.

After hearing what all have to offer, and what all expect, she can know without a doubt that the Air Force is the best. :D

for sitting around on your ass and waiting for the weather to cooperate ;)

djones520
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
for sitting around on your ass and waiting for the weather to cooperate ;)

Work smarter, not harder. Where this the Army, they'd have us go fill sand bags till it did.