PDA

View Full Version : House to vote on repealing light-bulb efficiency standards

Apocalypse
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
House to vote on repealing light-bulb efficiency standards

By Andrew Restuccia - 07/07/11 11:35 AM ET
House Republicans introduced legislation Wednesday they hope to bring to the floor next week that would repeal a light-bulb efficiency law.

The legislation (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-112hr2417ih/pdf/BILLS-112hr2417ih.pdf), sponsored by Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas), would repeal sections of a 2007 energy law that require traditional incandescent light bulbs to be 30 percent more energy efficient beginning in 2012.

Upton’s support for the bill represents a change of tune for the Energy panel chairman. He supported the 2007 light-bulb efficiency law, much to the chagrin of his fellow Republicans.

But Upton now says the law limits consumers' choices.

“It was never my goal for Washington to decide what type of light bulbs Americans should use," Upton said in a statement to The Hill. "The public response on this issue is a clear signal that markets – not governments – should be driving technological advancements. I will join my colleagues to vote yes on a bill to protect consumer choice and guard against federal overreach.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/677-e2-wire/170139-house-to-vote-on-repealing-light-bulb-efficiency-standards

Thou it could pass the House, would it pass the Senate, or Obama's veto pen?

Starbuck
07-07-2011, 12:56 PM
...........Thou it could pass the House, would it pass the Senate, or Obama's veto pen?

I am cynical enough to hope Obama vetoes it. It was a terrible piece of legislation and his veto would just be another small nail in the coffin of his one term Presidency.

djones520
07-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Reading this reminded me of a story I read yesterday about how this Congress has been one of the "least effective" ever, with only passing something like 16 bills since it began.

I could only think, good. The less the pass, the less they fuck up. Though I'm personally fine if they want to pass more that takes their fingers out of shit like this.

fettpett
07-07-2011, 01:24 PM
God, i hope this goes through

AmPat
07-09-2011, 11:39 AM
The next 50 years of Congresses would be successful if all they did was repeal massive legislation. If I want to light my home with Chem sticks, it is MY BUSINESS, not the GOVERNMENT"S!
And stay out of my toilet decisions also.:mad:

Apocalypse
07-12-2011, 07:52 AM
Well it was nice pipe dream...

From The Hill (http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/170791-lightbulb-bill-likely-headed-for-defeat-in-house):

Lightbulb bill likely headed for defeat in House

By Pete Kasperowicz – 07/11/11
House Democrats on Monday indicated strong opposition to a controversial bill to repeal federal lightbulb standards, which could lead to the defeat of the measure in an expected Tuesday vote.

Starbuck
07-12-2011, 07:57 AM
Well it was nice pipe dream...

From The Hill (http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/house/170791-lightbulb-bill-likely-headed-for-defeat-in-house):

Lightbulb bill likely headed for defeat in House

By Pete Kasperowicz – 07/11/11
House Democrats on Monday indicated strong opposition to a controversial bill to repeal federal lightbulb standards, which could lead to the defeat of the measure in an expected Tuesday vote.

Yeah. Evidently we have not voted enough of them out of office.

fettpett
07-12-2011, 08:08 AM
why did they put this on the Suspension when they knew it would get defeated? makes no sense

Democrats argued that the bulb standards Republicans were objecting to were supported by Republicans just a few years ago, and were signed into law by President George W. Bush. "This used to be something that we all agreed upon," Rep. Mike Doyle (D-Pa.) said.

no shit Sherlock, these AREN'T the same Republican's that passed the original bill, these are ones that want to kick stupid ass shit like this to the curb

Apocalypse
07-12-2011, 08:17 AM
why did they put this on the Suspension when they knew it would get defeated? makes no sense

My guess... '12 talking point.

"I voted for ending the ban on light-bulbs, but my opponent did not!"

fettpett
07-12-2011, 09:42 AM
My guess... '12 talking point.

"I voted for ending the ban on light-bulbs, but my opponent did not!"

possibly, stupid though, i hate some of these bullshit games

lacarnut
07-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Whey don't these chicken liver, chicken shit Repubs vote on some meaningful legislation like repealing Obamacare, defunding the war in Libya, defunding Planned Parenthood, passing tax cuts, cutting spending, etc. In other words, what the voters sent them to do in the last election. The legislation may not be passed in the Senate or vetoed by Obummer but the effort will be there and voter will see that they are at least trying to promote conservative programs. As it stands, Boehner looks like a weakling.

Apocalypse
07-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Had the vote today.

It died.