PDA

View Full Version : Girl, 6, Playing Hide-and-Seek Finds Abandoned Baby in Bushes

Phillygirl
09-06-2008, 12:23 PM
SYRACUSE, N.Y. A 6-year-old girl playing hide-and-seek with her grandmother found a newborn baby girl abandoned in a vacant lot next to her home.

Lilliana Williams-Rodriguez told her grandmother Thursday evening that she had found a doll in the bushes.

But Thelma Williams, 55, who has six children, knew right away the baby lying motionless in the weeds near a basketball hoop was no doll. She called 911 and wrapped the baby in clothing until firefighters arrived.

Police estimated the child was born an hour or two before she was discovered. The baby girl was taken to the hospital with a fever but was expected to recover.

The infant, partially wrapped in a black shirt, still had her umbilical cord attached, said police Sgt. Tom Connellan. Police weren't sure if she was born at the scene or brought there and abandoned. They were searching for the infant's mother.

Link (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,413783,00.html)

Well, I guess we can be thankful she didn't murder it. Poor little thing. Glad she will be okay.

Elspeth
09-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I'll bet it was a scared teenager. This is a good argument for laws that allow a teen mother to drop off a newborn at a church or police station without punishment. That way the baby doesn't have a chance of dying.

LibraryLady
09-06-2008, 12:46 PM
The baby isn't doing too well:

The baby, whom his department calls "Baby Jane Doe," needed a blood transfusion over the weekend. Doctors think it was from her umbilical being attached for so long after she was born. Earlier this week, the baby had a seizure. Doctors don't know what caused it, McKee said, but now she is not eating well.

Former state Sen. Nancy Larraine Hoffmann has said that the spot might be considered safe under a state law she wrote in 2000 that protects parents who leave a newborn in a safe place where someone will provide appropriate care.

Miguel, the county district attorney's office and McKee all say that hidden under a bush at South Avenue and Colvin Street isn't a safe place.

Phillygirl
09-06-2008, 12:54 PM
I'll bet it was a scared teenager. This is a good argument for laws that allow a teen mother to drop off a newborn at a church or police station without punishment. That way the baby doesn't have a chance of dying.

This state has such a law. And I agree with you...I'm very much in favor of safe harbors with no questions asked about the child. Quite frankly, I'm not even all that keen on prosecuting the woman who dropped this baby where she did. I'd rather the child have at least a fighting chance. The last big case like this in this area, the child was put in a garbage bag and stuffed in the back of a closet for a few days. The "mother" was a late teenager from an upper middle class family. She certainly had the education and resources to know better. That stuff ticks me off.

Shannon
09-06-2008, 01:12 PM
I hope the baby will be okay.:( We have the safe harbor law here as well. There are still incidents of babies in garbage cans etc. though. I don't understand it. It makes me sick.

Hatejane
09-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Glad for safe harbor laws...I only wish more "mothers" availed themselves of them

Hoping the baby is fine

Gingersnap
09-06-2008, 07:08 PM
Glad for safe harbor laws...I only wish more "mothers" availed themselves of them

Hoping the baby is fine

So true, we have that law here but hardly any women take advantage of it.

Theo
09-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Real evidence of a miracle, I can't even calculate the odds of finding a living newborn about 2 hours old in a vacant lot, due to a simple game of hide & seek, I wonder if God had a real hand in this?

If I was a betting person, I would have bet on skeletal remains being found..:(

Yes, I profess belief, yet LACK faith.

noonwitch
09-08-2008, 08:33 AM
When I worked at K-Mart in the 80s, in Kalamazoo, we had at least two incidents in one year in which someone purposely abandoned his or her kids in the store. None were newborns, but all were pre-school aged.

This didn't happen at the Grand Rapids store. It probably had to do with the K-zoo store being near the WMU campus.

linda22003
09-08-2008, 08:54 AM
When I worked at K-Mart in the 80s, in Kalamazoo, we had at least two incidents in one year in which someone purposely abandoned his or her kids in the store. None were newborns, but all were pre-school aged.

When I see people shopping with toddlers, I'm amazed that's not a universal practice. :cool: