PDA

View Full Version : Betty Ford dead at 93

SarasotaRepub
07-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Betty Ford, the widow of late President Gerald Ford and a co-founder of an eponymous addiction center in California, has died at the age of 93, according to the director of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library and Museum.

Link (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/08/betty-ford-dead-at-93/)

Bailey
07-08-2011, 08:46 PM
RIP and prayers to her family.

Rockntractor
07-08-2011, 08:59 PM
She was a good lady and was blessed with a long full life. Saying goodbye to these people really makes me feel old.

Apocalypse
07-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Very sad to hear. :(

namvet
07-08-2011, 09:05 PM
the unexpected first lady. RIP

lacarnut
07-08-2011, 10:00 PM
A sad day for America. Prayers for her family.

SaintLouieWoman
07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Whe was a greyt first lady. They showed a picture of her standing on a banquet table I believe in the White House. She was striking a pose. It's interesting that she was a member of the Martha Graham dancers. She always was a lithe, beautiful lady both inside and out. RIP, she lived a long and worthwhile life.

Articulate_Ape
07-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Died at 93. Impressive. RIP, Betty.

Novaheart
07-08-2011, 10:33 PM
She was one of my favorite first ladies.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
07-09-2011, 10:03 AM
A good wife to a good man who, while not the best of Presidents, was still a very decent, honorable man. RIP Betty, we miss you and Gerald. At least he's not alone up there anymore.

Kay
07-09-2011, 12:16 PM
I can't believe that she was 93 already. That really made me feel old too Rock.
She was a gracious and wonderful person that leaves a lasting legacy in her
work with addiction centers. RIP. :(

Novaheart
07-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I can't believe that she was 93 already. That really made me feel old too Rock.
She was a gracious and wonderful person that leaves a lasting legacy in her
work with addiction centers. RIP. :(

It's often a surprise for someone my age to find out when a famous person we associate with our own lifetime was actually born. I think of John F Kennedy as having been my parents' age, because I think of him as a young man, when in fact he was 10 years older. Many of the musicians, actors, and performers I considered to have been contemporaries in my teens were actually 35. Now some of my stars are turning 70 and it's freaking me out.

lurkalot
07-09-2011, 01:03 PM
In my opinion she was one of the few first ladies that was more than just a piece of fluff. She was an intelligent articulate lady in her own right, who made a difference. RIP

Novaheart
07-09-2011, 01:10 PM
In my opinion she was one of the few first ladies that was more than just a piece of fluff. She was an intelligent articulate lady in her own right, who made a difference. RIP

I think that part of her appeal was her candor about her family. Instead of portraying them as the perfect family, she sort of led the nation in conversations at the dinner table about the things that Betty Ford would discuss in public.

Kay
07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
It's often a surprise for someone my age to find out when a famous person we associate with our own lifetime was actually born....snip.....Now some of my stars are turning 70 and it's freaking me out.

Exactly the way I feel. I was surprised to learn that
Kirstie Alley was 65 when she was on DWS recently. :eek:

raiderguy8
07-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Exactly the way I feel. I was surprised to learn that
Kirstie Alley was 65 when she was on DWS recently. :eek:

Actually, she is 60 but even that still surprised me.

Kay
07-09-2011, 05:13 PM
Oops thanks for correcting me on that.
There was some other star that just turned
70 that shocked me for age, but I can't
remember now who it was.

linda22003
07-10-2011, 08:59 AM
It's often a surprise for someone my age to find out when a famous person we associate with our own lifetime was actually born. I think of John F Kennedy as having been my parents' age, because I think of him as a young man, when in fact he was 10 years older. Many of the musicians, actors, and performers I considered to have been contemporaries in my teens were actually 35. Now some of my stars are turning 70 and it's freaking me out.

John Kennedy was three years older than my parents, and my father is still very much alive, so he was a direct contemporary of my parents' generation.
Nice to see the tributes here to Betty Ford; she and her husband were what I still think of as Republicans, although they would be shoved out the door by the party now (Betty was pro-choice and pro-ERA, and vocal about both, remember?). ;)

linda22003
07-10-2011, 09:06 AM
Oops thanks for correcting me on that.
There was some other star that just turned
70 that shocked me for age, but I can't
remember now who it was.

A sign of age, in itself. :p

noonwitch
07-11-2011, 08:35 AM
John Kennedy was three years older than my parents, and my father is still very much alive, so he was a direct contemporary of my parents' generation.
Nice to see the tributes here to Betty Ford; she and her husband were what I still think of as Republicans, although they would be shoved out the door by the party now (Betty was pro-choice and pro-ERA, and vocal about both, remember?). ;)

If that republican party was still in existence, I'd vote for it.

Betty Ford was a great first lady. Her hospital, although we joke about it a lot, has helped a lot of people over the years.

It's been a rough week for my home town. Last week, a loon went on a rampage and killed 7 people (before killing himself). They were going to have a memorial for the victims at the GR Ford museum. Now, Betty Ford, who along with her late husband was from Grand Rapids, has died. There aren't that many famous people from Grand Rapids-the Fords, Roger B. Chaffee (dead astronaut), Gillian Anderson, Jason Newstead, Loy Vaught, El DeBarge, maybe a few others.

AmPat
07-11-2011, 11:36 AM
I just hope for the sake of pathetic liberal Hollyweird types that her clinics stay open.:eek:

AmPat
07-11-2011, 11:39 AM
If that republican party was still in existence, I'd vote for it.

Betty Ford was a great first lady. Her hospital, although we joke about it a lot, has helped a lot of people over the years.

It's been a rough week for my home town. Last week, a loon went on a rampage and killed 7 people (before killing himself). They were going to have a memorial for the victims at the GR Ford museum. Now, Betty Ford, who along with her late husband was from Grand Rapids, has died. There aren't that many famous people from Grand Rapids-the Fords, Roger B. Chaffee (dead astronaut), Gillian Anderson, Jason Newstead, Loy Vaught, El DeBarge, maybe a few others.
THAT Republican party is exactly why we have the mess we are in. We need a strict Conservative party and leave the liberal morass to the DIMoRAT party.

RIP Betty

namvet
07-11-2011, 11:42 AM
I just hope for the sake of pathetic liberal Hollyweird types that her clinics stay open.:eek:

so do I but CA is on life support