PDA

View Full Version : Goat-goring death sparks ban on peeing near Olympic Park trails

MountainMan
07-09-2011, 02:58 AM
PORT ANGELES, Wash. (AP) - Visitors to Olympic National Park are being urged not to urinate along trails frequented by mountain goats, to avoid turning trails into "long, linear salt licks" and attracting goats.

It's a new measure park officials are instituting as part of their revised mountain goat action plan.

That plan includes safety-inspired trail closures of two weeks or more and "aversive conditioning" of the animals when they become too aggressive.

Komo News link (http://www.komonews.com/news/local/125220079.html)

Oh for Pete's sake.....:rolleyes:

For years, the forest service and the National Park service has been overrun with morons and hippies with "forestry" degrees. And what do we get for their salaries? Stop peeing while on the trails.... :rolleyes:

Starbuck
07-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Other than the fatality involving Boardman, no other instances of "hazardous interactions" between goats and humans in Olympic National Park were cited in the report, which was written by park Wildlife Biologist Patti Happe.
Doesn't that just drive you crazy? NO incidents at all - I guess that's a 'hazardous interaction' - and they over-react to one incident by closing trails and issuing new rules.

fettpett
07-09-2011, 09:55 AM
the goring i HIGHLY doubt had anything to do with them pissing but everything to do with antagonizing the goat. It's the same as the Grizzly attack in Yellowstone earlier this week, you scare or threaten and animal it's liable to attack.

AmPat
07-09-2011, 11:25 AM
If the goats are so salt deficient they are attracted to urine, why not place some salt blocks a few thousand meters off the trail?:cool:

SaintLouieWoman
07-09-2011, 11:29 AM
If the goats are so salt deficient they are attracted to urine, why not place some salt blocks a few thousand meters off the trail?:cool:

OMG, that's too logical. They should pay you big bucks for a common sense solution, but that will never happen.

What are they going to do now, add rangers to patrol for peeing on the trails? That would sort of destroy the natural beauty to have Johnny on the Spots every few feet. What is their solution? :rolleyes:

MountainMan
07-09-2011, 01:01 PM
the goring i HIGHLY doubt had anything to do with them pissing but everything to do with antagonizing the goat. It's the same as the Grizzly attack in Yellowstone earlier this week, you scare or threaten and animal it's liable to attack.

Actually no. The hikers did everything correctly actually. They tried to stay away from the goat and the guy that died did so protecting the other members of his party. The goat was in rut, nothing more, nothing less. Here is a link to an article right after the incident. (http://www.komonews.com/news/local/106312193.html)

No, what this shows is that even in federal departments that we do need, there is reason to start cleaning house. We have too may liberals with personal agendas running organizations like the Department of the Interior trying to corral the American populations into cities.

MountainMan
07-09-2011, 01:02 PM
OMG, that's too logical. They should pay you big bucks for a common sense solution, but that will never happen.

What are they going to do now, add rangers to patrol for peeing on the trails? That would sort of destroy the natural beauty to have Johnny on the Spots every few feet. What is their solution? :rolleyes:

Common sense what taken from Department of the Interior many years ago when people started prohibiting access to our forests in the name of "preservation".

AmPat
07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
We need to implement a new Department. I suggest Wanker Watchers. Any Members spotted will be watched for an issue of urine (not to be confused with spotted members). If urine is deposited, the offending Member will be cited. Photo documentation will be twittered immediately to Our HEAD Member of Wanker Watchers, Head Ranger and top Dick, Anthony Weiner.:eek:

noonwitch
07-11-2011, 11:31 AM
I wonder what they are going to do at Yellowstone, now that a grizzly killed a hiker there? They were talking about destroying the bear if it showed signs of particularly vicious behavior. Are you kidding me? It's a bear acting like a bear. People are stupid about camping in Yellowstone. There are bears everywhere there, and wolves. They have lodges, hotels and cabins to rent.

AmPat
07-11-2011, 11:53 AM
I wonder what they are going to do at Yellowstone, now that a grizzly killed a hiker there? They were talking about destroying the bear if it showed signs of particularly vicious behavior. Are you kidding me? It's a bear acting like a bear. People are stupid about camping in Yellowstone. There are bears everywhere there, and wolves. They have lodges, hotels and cabins to rent.

I and my family stayed two weeks at West Yellowstone last year in a tent. Bears everywhere. We locked our food up at the KOA station each night and when not in camp during the day while site seeing. We do not have a bear problem, we have a people problem.

noonwitch
07-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I and my family stayed two weeks at West Yellowstone last year in a tent. Bears everywhere. We locked our food up at the KOA station each night and when not in camp during the day while site seeing. We do not have a bear problem, we have a people problem.

But you are not a stupid camper. You know what you are doing.

I'm not a camper, but I'm not stupid. Hotels and cabins are for people who don't know how to camp.

SaintLouieWoman
07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
But you are not a stupid camper. You know what you are doing.

I'm not a camper, but I'm not stupid. Hotels and cabins are for people who don't know how to camp.

You're right. All the bear bells in the world and all the bear mace isn't going to stop a charging grizzly.

People are stupid, think that the animals are pets. They're not. One guy at the STL Zoo years ago almost was killed. The moron climbed over the fence and was dangling his arm over the polar bear pit. He was angry with me when I told him, in my most official volunteer voice, to get the heck off that rock. The bear was right under him, jumping up and trying to get his hand. He would have been dead if the bear jumped maybe another foot higher.

You can't fix stupid.