PDA

View Full Version : Major grocer getting rid of self-checkout lanes

Rockntractor
07-09-2011, 11:17 PM
One of the nation's major grocery store chains is eliminating self-checkout lanes in an effort to encourage more human contact with its customers.

Albertsons LLC, which operates 217 stores in seven Western and Southern states, will eliminate all self-checkout lanes in the 100 stores that have them and will replace them with standard or express lanes, a spokeswoman said.

"We just want the opportunity to talk to customers more," Albertsons spokeswoman Christine Wilcox said. "That's the driving motivation."

Wilcox said the replacement of automated checkout lanes with human-operated lanes likely would mean more hours available for employees to work.

The move marks a surprising step back from a trend that began about a decade ago, when supermarkets began installing self-checkout lanes, touting them as a solution to long lines. Now some grocery chains are questioning whether they are really good for business.

Kroger, the largest grocery chain in the U.S. (with some 2,500 outlets), is experimenting with removing all self-checkouts in at least one Texas store, reports StorefrontBacktalk, an industry publication. Publix, another major chain, is "on the fence" about self-checkout, according to a report quoted in the story.

Self-checkout industry leader NCR Corp., which counts Albertsons among its clients, does not see the grocery chain's move as a threat to its business, said company spokesman Cameron Smith.

He said more than 150 retailers in 22 countries use the company's self-checkout lanes, and not just for groceries. The market is projected to grow by about 15 percent annually, he said.

"Ultimately, customers appreciate the choice of self-checkout," he said.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085/ns/business-consumer_news/
I hope more follow, it would be different if they gave you a discount in the self checkout lanes, I don't work for free.

Apocalypse
07-09-2011, 11:43 PM
They were a horrid idea. Only to cut the cost of three workers. One person running 4 checkouts instead of 4 people working the same amount. I've walked out of a K-Mart that installed them because it was all they had open. Told the lady who was overseeing their operation that it was just impersonal and I would never use them.

Rockntractor
07-09-2011, 11:45 PM
They were a horrid idea. Only to cut the cost of three workers. One person running 4 checkouts instead of 4 people working the same amount. I've walked out of a K-Mart that installed them because it was all they had open. Told the lady who was overseeing their operation that it was just impersonal and I would never use them.

This is something we are in 100% agreement on.

Novaheart
07-10-2011, 12:42 AM
I thought they were a good idea, but the machines were so annoying at Walmart. Like everything else at Walmart: they make an excessive amount of noise. They talk loudly and constantly. Half of them were broken at any given moment. But the reason they have been removed was rampant theft.

I was just thinking about this, but there is a liability to the customer in using those things. If a checker doesn't charge you for an item, you usually don't notice. You offered everything to be paid, and if for some reason security stops you in the parking lot, you are not to blame unless it was something huge and you knew damned well it wasn't in the total. But if you ring up your own groceries and don't notice that something didn't scan, you could be accused of shoplifting. If you are a person like me, who refuses to stop for the greeter and you rang up your own groceries but something didn't scan, it looks like you are a thief.

lacarnut
07-10-2011, 12:45 AM
I quit going to Albertsons because the cash only and the express line for a few items were never open. I told the manager he should take the stupid sign down if they have no intention of using it. I shop at a local grocer that has great meat, does not take food stamps and has an ample supply of checkers. Pay a little more and get the red ass less.

txradioguy
07-10-2011, 03:48 AM
I guess Albertsons is taking Obama's claim that "too much automation is causing our high unemployment" seriously.

noonwitch
07-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I use them at Meijer when I have less than 10 items, otherwise I go through a regular checkout lane.

djones520
07-11-2011, 11:26 AM
I guess Albertsons is taking Obama's claim that "too much automation is causing our high unemployment" seriously.

If he said that, then he's right. My jobs been getting more and more automated, and they've been using that to justify fewer and fewer bodies. Now we're forced to give shitty weather products to our customers because the fewer of us have so much more work to do making up for these "automated systems" that don't work.

Granted, not all automation is bad. But when bad automation is taking jobs away from people who do the work better, we're doing something wrong.

AmPat
07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Pharaoh will be pleased. This will finally begin the march to economic prosperity. Now we must take our fight to the banks followed by those evil vending machines. We'll table until later the attack on the other job killing machines known as tractors.:cool:

Rockntractor
07-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Pharaoh will be pleased. This will finally begin the march to economic prosperity. Now we must take our fight to the banks followed by those evil vending machines. We'll table until later the attack on the other job killing machines known as tractors.:cool:
You will have to peal my tractor out from under my cold dead ass!:mad:

djones520
07-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Thanks, I was considering getting lunch. Think I'll wait now. :mad:

AmPat
07-11-2011, 11:45 AM

It's coming Rock but not soon. We have a few more evil inventions and machines higher on the prohibited list:
Telephones- Viva la Pony Express!
Cars- Long live the Stage Coach!
Textile mills- Bring back homespun!
Family farms-Collective efforts bring collective results! (The Bolsheviks just did it wrong).

Your tractor will not run without the prohibited and evil oil that is projected to cost $1000 per barrel.

Wow, I'm all Stalined out.:(

txradioguy
07-11-2011, 12:09 PM
If he said that, then he's right. My jobs been getting more and more automated, and they've been using that to justify fewer and fewer bodies. Now we're forced to give shitty weather products to our customers because the fewer of us have so much more work to do making up for these "automated systems" that don't work.

Granted, not all automation is bad. But when bad automation is taking jobs away from people who do the work better, we're doing something wrong.

Obama's example he used in the interview with Ann Curry was ATM's.

linda22003
07-11-2011, 03:12 PM
I don't use self check out in stores for the same reason that I don't cook my own food in a restaurant.

Rockntractor
07-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't use self check out in stores for the same reason that I don't cook my own food in a restaurant.

Exactly!

NJCardFan
07-11-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085/ns/business-consumer_news/
I hope more follow, it would be different if they gave you a discount in the self checkout lanes, I don't work for free.

If I'm just running in for a few things, I like the self checkout because there is rarely a line.

Rockntractor
07-11-2011, 03:35 PM
If I'm just running in for a few things, I like the self checkout because there is rarely a line.

At our nearest wall mart they have all but 2 conventional lanes closed and the self serve is busy .
I haven't bought anything from Walmart for about three months now.

bijou
07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I occasionally use them (only one chain here has them), but only if I'm buying a single item and the queue is long because that's the only time it's quick.

bijou
07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
It's coming Rock but not soon. We have a few more evil inventions and machines higher on the prohibited list:
Telephones- Viva la Pony Express!
Cars- Long live the Stage Coach!
Textile mills- Bring back homespun!
Family farms-Collective efforts bring collective results! (The Bolsheviks just did it wrong).

Your tractor will not run without the prohibited and evil oil that is projected to cost $1000 per barrel.

Wow, I'm all Stalined out.:(

Creativity is all :D (http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_222_if-modern-world-ran-medieval-technology/)

JB
07-11-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't use self check out in stores for the same reason that I don't cook my own food in a restaurant.Hold on. You probably pump your own gas. Unless your man does that job for you.

Which reminds me, how did we ever let gas stations trick us into doing that?

back on topic: I always use the self-checkout. Mainly because I can fit into three bags what they'll put into seven.

linda22003
07-12-2011, 08:08 AM
Hold on. You probably pump your own gas. Unless your man does that job for you.

back on topic: I always use the self-checkout. Mainly because I can fit into three bags what they'll put into seven.

Yes, I do pump my own gas - mostly because that's just about the only option around here. When I drove through NJ a few months ago, I was actually surprised that an attendant HAD to do it for me.

noonwitch
07-12-2011, 08:42 AM

When gas stations first started self-serve, it was always a few cents per gallon cheaper than full serve. It was when I was first starting to drive, and I learned to pump my own from the start.

JB
07-13-2011, 03:58 PM
Yes, I do pump my own gas - mostly because that's just about the only option around here. When I drove through NJ a few months ago, I was actually surprised that an attendant HAD to do it for me.How was the price compared to VA?

I was just in Jersey the other day. Gas in PA was $3.85 and you self-pump. NJ was $3.45 and they pump. :confused:

ralph wiggum
07-13-2011, 06:07 PM
At the ones I've been to in Illinois, you couldn't buy beer/liquor/wine without assistance from a cashier anyway. That was pretty much all I was allowed to shop for by the former Mrs. Wiggum. :D

NJCardFan
07-13-2011, 08:33 PM

We don't pump our own gas in Jersey and it's generally cheaper here than the rest of the country. :D