PDA

View Full Version : Obama dad considered adoption

namvet
07-11-2011, 07:10 PM
http://www.blackcelebkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/obamamomanddad1.jpg

By Sean Collins Walsh, published July 07, 2011.

WASHINGTON-

Before Barack Obama was born, his parents may have considered putting him up for adoption, according to documents obtained by a reporter for the Boston Globe.

Mr. Obama's father, Barack Hussein Obama Sr., told immigration officials that Ann Dunham, whom he had recently married, would make "arrangements with the Salvation Army to give the baby away", one document said.

story (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/us/08adopt.html?_r=2)

we came that close

CaughtintheMiddle1990
07-11-2011, 07:15 PM
http://www.blackcelebkids.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/obamamomanddad1.jpg

By Sean Collins Walsh, published July 07, 2011.

WASHINGTON-

Before Barack Obama was born, his parents may have considered putting him up for adoption, according to documents obtained by a reporter for the Boston Globe.

Mr. Obama's father, Barack Hussein Obama Sr., told immigration officials that Ann Dunham, whom he had recently married, would make "arrangements with the Salvation Army to give the baby away", one document said.

story (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/us/08adopt.html?_r=2)

we came that close

That's pretty shitty though. Regardless if you hate the President, what his father did was a disgrace--No man walks out on his child. And to throw a baby away for adoption for convenience is also a disgrace. If you don't want to have kids, or know you couldn't support them, or anything along those lines--Don't have them.

There's only one reason I'd ever in any form give up a child of mine if I had any. My sister is infertile, but she'd make a great mother and it's one of the great tragedies of her life that she can't have children of her own. If my wife was willing to and we were able to have more children, I'd give the child to my sister to raise.

Phillygirl
07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
That's pretty shitty though. Regardless if you hate the President, what his father did was a disgrace--No man walks out on his child. And to throw a baby away for adoption for convenience is also a disgrace. If you don't want to have kids, or know you couldn't support them, or anything along those lines--Don't have them.

There is nothing wrong with placing a baby for adoption. In fact, in many ways, it's the most selfless thing a person can do.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
07-11-2011, 07:20 PM
There is nothing wrong with placing a baby for adoption. In fact, in many ways, it's the most selfless thing a person can do.

IMO, it's a form of abandonment if you're doing it for your own convenience which it seems the Obamas would've done it for. If you're doing it to help someone who can't have a child, that's a selfless, beautiful thing. But to throw it away to advance your career? Someday that child is going to want to know it's real parents, and seeing that happen in my own family, the results weren't pretty and it just resulted in emotional pain on both sides.

Barack Obama, Sr was not a good man at all.

Phillygirl
07-11-2011, 07:23 PM
IMO, it's a form of abandonment if you're doing it for your own convenience which it seems the Obamas would've done it for. If you're doing it to help someone who can't have a child, that's a selfless, beautiful thing. But to throw it away to advance your career? Someday that child is going to want to know it's real parents, and seeing that happen in my own family, the results weren't pretty and it just resulted in emotional pain on both sides.

A child that is given up for adoption is not "thrown away". It is a child that is being given the chance at a better life than the biological parents could, in good conscience, give him. Reunions frequently don't end on a positive note, true, but that doesn't mean that the choice that is made is a bad one.

As for the Obamas...who knows? My read of the issue was simply that he was trying to say whatever it took to get the feds off his back in terms of his personal relationships. I have no idea if the man was being honest about his intentions, as it didn't appear that he was being honest about the status of his relationship with his first wife.

noonwitch
07-12-2011, 08:47 AM

It's not abandonment. Abandonment is leaving your child at K-mart or somewhere else like that, not making legal arrangements for his care, like an adoption would do.

It would be bad if Sr. tried to manipulate Obama's mother into adoption when she didn't want to do so, though. But talking about it as an option is not bad.

fettpett
07-12-2011, 09:32 AM

sorry dude, but thats crap. There are many people that can't have kids, and I feel for your sister, but to bash someone for giving up their kid for adoption is disgraceful. I have 3 cousins that were all adopted, 2 a brother and sister that were fostered to my aunt and uncle from a mom that was a drug addict. my other cousin was an adoption, more or less right from birth.

They are your kids, even if not biologically, it's not abandonment, but it does take some honesty on the adoptive parents side as well but thats their prerogative

Bailey
07-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I wish his mom would've considered Abortion :D

CaughtintheMiddle1990
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
sorry dude, but thats crap. There are many people that can't have kids, and I feel for your sister, but to bash someone for giving up their kid for adoption is disgraceful. I have 3 cousins that were all adopted, 2 a brother and sister that were fostered to my aunt and uncle from a mom that was a drug addict. my other cousin was an adoption, more or less right from birth.

They are your kids, even if not biologically, it's not abandonment, but it does take some honesty on the adoptive parents side as well but thats their prerogative

But let's be honest here. Obama's father was a man who willingly, totally abandoned children that weren't adopted out, that were his totally. I just think he was a slimeball who didn't care a thing for ANY of his kids from any of his wives.

I guess I can see your point on adoption in general, but in this specific case, knowing what kind of people Obama's parents were, and what did they did to him anyway, this wasn't some heartfelt, "for the sake our baby" idea on their part.

Rebel Yell
07-12-2011, 12:14 PM

So I guess you'd rather a woman ride the welfare train than give up a baby she can't afford.

CaughtintheMiddle1990
07-12-2011, 01:18 PM
So I guess you'd rather a woman ride the welfare train than give up a baby she can't afford.

I'd rather she be responsible and not open her legs if she can't afford a baby.

noonwitch
07-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Well, it happened 50 years ago and she's been dead for over 15 of those years. Not much anyone can do about it now.

Phillygirl
07-12-2011, 03:47 PM

There was someone else involved in the baby making part of it. Grow up.

fettpett
07-12-2011, 09:18 PM
But let's be honest here. Obama's father was a man who willingly, totally abandoned children that weren't adopted out, that were his totally. I just think he was a slimeball who didn't care a thing for ANY of his kids from any of his wives.

I guess I can see your point on adoption in general, but in this specific case, knowing what kind of people Obama's parents were, and what did they did to him anyway, this wasn't some heartfelt, "for the sake our baby" idea on their part.

Obama Sr. giving up Obama jr. up would have been the best thing that ever happened to him, probably wouldn't have ended up the abject failure of a President we have today.

KhrushchevsShoe
07-12-2011, 09:45 PM
I wish his mom would've considered Abortion :D

Shit like this is just so far over the line.

CueSi
07-12-2011, 09:46 PM

I'll agree, but I know Keith Olbermann leaped the fuck over that first. :p

~QC

MountainMan
07-12-2011, 09:53 PM

So you are only against abortion when it produces a shitty president like Obama? :rolleyes:

And before you go off on me, Ive always been prolife and yes I found Baily's comment in bad taste. However, liberal hypocrisy is far worse on a daily basis.

SaintLouieWoman
07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
So you are only against abortion when it produces a shitty president like Obama? :rolleyes:

And before you go off on me, Ive always been prolife and yes I found Baily's comment in bad taste. However, liberal hypocrisy is far worse on a daily basis.

I also think it's in extremely bad taste. I don't like Obama, but can't trash the man for what his parents did.

How sad that he's having this stuff thrown at him now. I repeat, I do not like him and think he's our worst president ever, but some of this stuff is nonsense.

I don't have the link, but saw an article recently that said adopted kids scored better in school and in life than any other group.

MountainMan
07-12-2011, 10:36 PM
I also think it's in extremely bad taste. I don't like Obama, but can't trash the man for what his parents did.

How sad that he's having this stuff thrown at him now. I repeat, I do not like him and think he's our worst president ever, but some of this stuff is nonsense.

I don't have the link, but saw an article recently that said adopted kids scored better in school and in life than any other group.

Since my wife's miscarriage last year, we have been trying to have another without any luck. I gently broached the adoption subject this last weekend since it may appear we cant have another of our own. :(

Rockntractor
07-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Many media stories and made-for-TV movies present adopted children as alienated, unhappy, or even criminal. The truth is, however, most adopted children grow up to be normal adults who blend in with everyone else.

In 1994, the Search Institute in Minneapolis released the results of “Growing Up Adopted,” a four-year study of 881 adopted adolescents, 1,262 adoptive parents, and 78 nonadopted siblings. The study found that the majority of the adopted teens were strongly attached to their families and psychologically healthy. (If they're doing well in adolescence—a tough time for most of us—imagine what they might achieve as adults!)

In fact, the adopted teens in the study scored better than their nonadopted siblings or a sample of their peers in …

Connectedness—having three or more friends and having access to two or more nonparent adults for advice.
Caring—placing a high value on helping other people.
Social competency—friendship-making and assertiveness skills.

Adopted teens also scored higher than nonadopted adolescents in …

School achievement—having a B average or better and aspiring to higher education.
Optimism—expecting to be happy in 10 years and expecting to be successful as an adult.
Support—having a high level of support from parents and from school.

Read more on FamilyEducation: http://life.familyeducation.com/adoption/nontraditional-families/45763.html#ixzz1RwwWdRbe

More>http://life.familyeducation.com/adoption/nontraditional-families/45763.html