PDA

View Full Version : Publix Sucks

patriot45
07-12-2011, 10:06 PM
If you live down south you got Publix, Sweetbay and Win-Dixie. Tonite , actually 10 minutes ago I just saw a Publix commercial in pure mexican!!! At least I thought it was mexican, It was not English. I will never go to Pubics again! :(

I looked for it on youtube but I guess its two new!

Pubics sucks

SarasotaRepub
07-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Haven't seen that one yet!

We've been using local Farm markets and Sweet Bay more than Publix lately...

patriot45
07-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Haven't seen that one yet!

We've been using local Farm markets and Sweet Bay more than Publix lately...

It was horrible! I was waiting for the punchline... like press 2 for english! But no!! The whole commersh was mexican!! Im sure it will be youtube by tomorrow!

CueSi
07-13-2011, 12:17 AM
One commercial? FEH!! We have an entire Publix catering to latino customers down here - - Publix Sabor (http://www.publix.com/sabor/). I shopped at one ONCE. I get it, it caters to Latino customers, but I felt I needed a passport to talk to anyone.

My dad calls it, "the Publix that reminds you that Miami isn't part of America anymore." And then he smiles like that purple puppet Jeff Dunham uses. 'S creepy.

~QC

linda22003
07-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Isn't "Mexican" actually "Spanish"?

SaintLouieWoman
07-13-2011, 08:49 AM
When I lived in San Antonio for 7 years, the "Mexican" I heard there didn't sound like the traditional Spanish that I studied in high school and college. :D

Publix also sucks because in the words of one of their pharmacists at a local Publix here, "We don't need your business." They haven't gotten much of it after that. I go there rarely, and then buy only their loss leaders.

It was what should NOT have been a dispute over their pharmacy helping to get an exhange from the drug manufacturer. They said they wouldn't make any money off of it, so wouldn't do it. I told them that I had been using their pharmacy, but they didn't care. I ended up having a pharmacy in a Schnuck's grocery store in St Louis exchange the meds (doses had been changed by the manufacturer and was afraid to take the old stuff). My sister had to pick it up in St Louis and mail it to me here.

Schnuck's rules (wish they had them here) and Publix sucks, in the words of Pat45.

linda22003
07-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Publix isn't in our area. We are Wegman's fanatics, to the extent that we may decide to retire to a place based on whether a Wegman's is within an accessible distance.

NJCardFan
07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
One commercial? FEH!! We have an entire Publix catering to latino customers down here - - Publix Sabor (http://www.publix.com/sabor/). I shopped at one ONCE. I get it, it caters to Latino customers, but I felt I needed a passport to talk to anyone.

My dad calls it, "the Publix that reminds you that Miami isn't part of America anymore." And then he smiles like that purple puppet Jeff Dunham uses. 'S creepy.

~QC
Your dad looks like Peanut?

NJCardFan
07-13-2011, 09:58 AM
Um, no. Not exactly. Traditional Spanish is different from Puerto Rican which is different from Honduran which is different from Cuban which is different from Mexican which is different from Portuguese etc. The base is similar but there are nuances to each that differentiate one from the other.

Ranger Rick
07-13-2011, 10:23 AM
Back in the day, my wife would go to the BX and yell at the Philippino girls about their Spanish. ( I marry a Spaniard, well actually Basque, but hey). Fun times.

Novaheart
07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
It was horrible! I was waiting for the punchline... like press 2 for english! But no!! The whole commersh was mexican!! Im sure it will be youtube by tomorrow!

this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWD6CWOhXbA

Novaheart
07-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Um, no. Not exactly. Traditional Spanish is different from Puerto Rican which is different from Honduran which is different from Cuban which is different from Mexican which is different from Portuguese etc. The base is similar but there are nuances to each that differentiate one from the other.

I like to bash Spanish as much as the next person, but English is also regional. So is Hindi, Chinese, and any other language spoken over a broad geographic spread over centuries. It's easier for most Americans and Londoners to understand each other almost 100% while both have difficulty understanding each other's or their own countrymen of certain dialects, doesn't mean these people aren't speaking English. In fact, while most people would have difficulty understanding the residents of Tangier Island VA, Smith Island MD, or Selbyville DE, these people are actually speaking the artifact of Elizabethan English they share with living people in the rural British maritime communities.

fettpett
07-13-2011, 12:05 PM

yep, just like Persian French is different from Quebuies, and Hatian, etc

Or American English from British or Canadian or any other majority English speaking

Novaheart
07-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Which is not to say that I am not a language Nazi.

I want to slap people on television who do these things because they spread their bad habits:

pronounce the t in often

say did-dint, stoo-dent, or any other misguided attempt at diction which avoids the "(u)nt" sound.

begin a sentence with "meantime" rather than "In the meantime" or use them interchangeably with "meanwhile" when they actually mean different things.

the list goes on

lacarnut
07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Publix in Orange Beach AL has great fried chicken and taters. Their prices are too high on other things so I shop at Winn Dixie. Being a tourist/vacation town, Americans work in all retail stores.

CueSi
07-13-2011, 11:30 PM
Your dad looks like Peanut?

No... he just did the head-tilt and smile like him.

~QC

Hawkgirl
07-14-2011, 10:02 PM
I like my neighborhood Publix. They treat me well as a customer, never had a problem.

I'm still in North GA, just discovered Ingles, which displays a large sign at their entrance "AMERICAN OWNED"
Great store.

patriot45
07-14-2011, 10:48 PM
I like to bash Spanish as much as the next person, but English is also regional. So is Hindi, Chinese, and any other language spoken over a broad geographic spread over centuries. It's easier for most Americans and Londoners to understand each other almost 100% while both have difficulty understanding each other's or their own countrymen of certain dialects, doesn't mean these people aren't speaking English. In fact, while most people would have difficulty understanding the residents of Tangier Island VA, Smith Island MD, or Selbyville DE, these people are actually speaking the artifact of Elizabethan English they share with living people in the rural British maritime communities.

Just press one for english. Do you live in America? Well this "region" Speaks English! BTW thats the language we are typing in! Moonbats have nuance don't they!