PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Child Care Rules Could Require Racially Diverse Dolls

bijou
07-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Want to be a licensed day care provider in Colorado? You could face a mountain of rules if a newly proposed set of regulations from the Department of Human Services is approved.

The Denver Post reports the 98 pages of proposed rules came out of a 2000 law requiring Colorado to come up with child care quality standards in all sorts of areas, including nutrition and special needs services. But a number of lawmakers and child care providers say many of the proposed rules are a shining example of a one-size-fits-all mentality.

Some of the rules, according to the newspaper, include:

All doll collections much represent three races.
10 pieces of each art material required per toddler and infant classroom -- think 10 crayons, 10 paints, 10 brushes, etc.
Potential chocking hazards, including food items, glitter, shaving cream, cotton balls and "googly eyes" are a no-no.
Each room much have at least 12 books, plus one additional book for each child in the class.
At least 10 visual displays required per room, with two "representing nature realistically" and two "presenting diversity in a positive way."
No sweetened drinks or whole milk, and only 20 minutes of screen time per day.
"Activities shall be culturally sensitive and represent diversity."
"Boys and girls shall not be restricted to gender-specific role playing."
...link (http://www.parentdish.com/2011/07/13/colorado-child-care-rules-could-require-racially-diverse-dolls/)

noonwitch
07-14-2011, 08:45 AM
I don't see the need to make a rule about it. My nieces are all pretty much too old for dolls, now, but I always bought them a variety of dolls to play with. Heck, just buy them each Disney character doll, and you have all the ethnic groups covered: Ariel, Belle and all the old Disney Princesses are white; Mulan is asian; Jasmine is arabic; and the girl from The Frog Prince is black. Barbies are pretty diverse, these days, too. The only way a day care isn't going to have a diverse selection of dolls is if they deliberately try not to. Or, they have all of one model so that they can tell the fighting children "yours is just like hers".

fettpett
07-14-2011, 09:06 AM
at lest they haven't forced all child care providers into a Union that they didn't vote for or know that was being considered