PDA

View Full Version : O’Keefe’s latest sting target: Medicaid bureaucrats

bijou
07-18-2011, 02:17 PM
There are eerie moments of deja vu in James O’Keefe’s latest project in his self-described “muckraking” enterprise. This time, O’Keefe turns his sights on Medicaid bureaucrats in Ohio rather than ACORN or Planned Parenthood — although the latter does get a cameo mention. Once again, O’Keefe and his team pose as criminals seeking assistance in getting government money to support their businesses, only this time directly rather than through activist organizations:

The first video in the series shows government employees in Ohio assisting two men who have described themselves as Russian drug smugglers with applications for Medicaid.

In the video, the men explain to Ohio Medicaid workers that they are Russian immigrants who sell illegal drugs, drive a modified McLaren F1 sports car with a gold-coated engine, and use their underage sisters to perform sexual favors in exchange for drugs.

In response, Ohio employees tasked with disbursing federal Medicaid dollars are shown coaching the men through the process of applying for benefits. “If it’s not something registered here, maybe I just wouldn’t mention it,” a Franklin County Medicaid officer named Traci Daniels tells the men, when asked whether they should mention owning a vehicle that retails for nearly $1 million, as they apply for government aid designed to help poor people. “Not that I can say that. You didn’t hear that from me. But, that would right there, that would throw him off. He would be immediately not qualified.”

Er, shouldn’t Medicaid officials try to stop fraud rather than helping those who want to conduct it? O’Keefe discusses the video at his Project Veritas site: ...http://hotair.com/archives/2011/07/18/okeefes-latest-sting-target-medicaid-bureaucrats/

noonwitch
07-18-2011, 03:03 PM
I can't believe people keep falling for this.

The only reason I can see for egging anyone on about this type of thing would be to prosecute him for the crimes he is claiming to commit.

lacarnut
07-18-2011, 03:08 PM
I can't believe people keep falling for this.

The only reason I can see for egging anyone on about this type of thing would be to prosecute him for the crimes he is claiming to commit.

You do not want to prosecute scum bag civil servants? I forgot, you are one.

Apocalypse
07-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Unless they can prove that this is wide spread. This will be chopped up as a "Isolated" issue and "Retraining" prescribed.

NJCardFan
07-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Unless they can prove that this is wide spread. This will be chopped up as a "Isolated" issue and "Retraining" prescribed.
The kid isn't stupid. He exposed ACORN all over the country. Planned Parenthood too.

Average Voter
07-19-2011, 11:35 AM
is to REDUCE the Federal Government by at least 80%. Eliminate everything, every agency, added to the Fed Gov't since Woodrow Wilson.

We have a precious few years to turn this around. Don't count on help from the Republican leadership--they MUST BE VOTED OUT! Primary them all.

Apocalypse
07-19-2011, 12:01 PM
The kid isn't stupid. He exposed ACORN all over the country. Planned Parenthood too.
Never said he was stupid, but as expected...

CMS declined to comment for this story. Ohio Department of Job and Family Services spokesman Ben Johnson clarified that the employees in the video were county employees, not state employees, and said, "The video is obviously very troubling, we are looking into the matter, we are working with the counties to try and find out what exactly happened. ... Should the video turn out to be accurate, we would hope the counties would at the very least discipline these workers."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0711/59305.html#ixzz1SZDAeayp

Another words, its a local issue. Not wide spread.

" In a statement, the county says she has been placed on paid administrative leave.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KLOzFMpyVOYQMAZ83QtDMD;_ylu=X3oDMTEzN29xaDl rBHBvcwM4BHNlYwNzcgRjb2xvA2FjNAR2dGlkA1VTTjAzOV8x/SIG=12udrjfki/EXP=1311119308/**http%3a//biz.yahoo.com/ap/110719/us_ohio_medicaid_benefits_video.html%3f.v=1

The county had "Dealt" with the issue. (Till every one forgets)

O'Keefe needs to have other sting videos on this, or this will be the furthest it gets.

noonwitch
07-19-2011, 12:11 PM
You do not want to prosecute scum bag civil servants? I forgot, you are one.

No, when my coworkers commit crimes in the course of their jobs I'm all for prosecuting them. It makes us all look bad when one civil servant does something criminal.

I meant that when someone comes in to apply for assistance of some sort or another, and makes the kinds of claims and statements O'Keefe does (regarding prostitution, in particular), I could see egging them on to get them to say these things so that they can be prosecuted for the crimes they are admitting to (if it's an undercover reporter, then the police can sort that out).

lacarnut
07-19-2011, 12:59 PM
No, when my coworkers commit crimes in the course of their jobs I'm all for prosecuting them. It makes us all look bad when one civil servant does something criminal.

I meant that when someone comes in to apply for assistance of some sort or another, and makes the kinds of claims and statements O'Keefe does (regarding prostitution, in particular), I could see egging them on to get them to say these things so that they can be prosecuted for the crimes they are admitting to (if it's an undercover reporter, then the police can sort that out).

I was a civil service servant for 27 years and it pisses me off when this kinda shit happen. This is not an isolated case of incompetence and fraud. I have seen quite a few instances of employees gaming the systems such as federal employees using credit cards for unauthorized purchases to a state auditor trying to avoid paying sales taxes for purchases on a company he is auditing. The sad thing is that when they do get caught they seldom get fired.

noonwitch
07-19-2011, 01:09 PM
I was a civil service servant for 27 years and it pisses me off when this kinda shit happen. This is not an isolated case of incompetence and fraud. I have seen quite a few instances of employees gaming the systems such as federal employees using credit cards for unauthorized purchases to a state auditor trying to avoid paying sales taxes for purchases on a company he is auditing. The sad thing is that when they do get caught they seldom get fired.

We have a lot of checks that prevent some of those things-our credit cards are issued with the cars, and can only be used for gas, car washes and other things that are for the car.

I had a coworker who was recently fired for falsely claiming to make home calls she never made, then putting in for mileage reimbursement for them. They always get you when you get greedy.

lacarnut
07-19-2011, 02:00 PM
We have a lot of checks that prevent some of those things-our credit cards are issued with the cars, and can only be used for gas, car washes and other things that are for the car.

I had a coworker who was recently fired for falsely claiming to make home calls she never made, then putting in for mileage reimbursement for them. They always get you when you get greedy.

Firing a lazy, incompetent employee for the most part is a joke especially if they are the correct race or gender. Civil service courts will side with the employee the overwhelming majority of the time. Throw the union in the mix and it is almost a slam dunk. The employees at this county office will probably not get fired. The Feds should be investigation this but you and I know why they are not.

noonwitch
07-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Firing a lazy, incompetent employee for the most part is a joke especially if they are the correct race or gender. Civil service courts will side with the employee the overwhelming majority of the time. Throw the union in the mix and it is almost a slam dunk. The employees at this county office will probably not get fired. The Feds should be investigation this but you and I know why they are not.

The feds should investigate, because it involves federal money. It's hard to follow up on a situation like this because O'Keefe's investigation was done for the media, and didn't necessarily follow the type of rules that police/federal agents have to follow. O'Keefe isn't going for a conviction, he's going there to expose something to the public.

My coworker's situation was a long time in coming. I had filed complaints about her with previous supervisors and gotten nowhere. She was technically allowed to resign, so that she can't sue. The union refused to represent her in any further appeal, mainly because she was verbally abusive to the stewards.

My supervisor said that the process of getting rid of this employee took two years off her life. That's why most don't do anything, because they put the supervisor who is trying to fire the employee through hell. The only reason this supervisor got rid of her was because she was the same race and gender-every time in the past, the coworker would scream racism if a black supervisor tried to discipline her, and would make sexual harrassment charges against any male supervisor who tried to discipline her.

Apocalypse
07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Well he's finially released a second sting video. This time on South Carolina.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjf6yC_t9r8

James O'Keefe recently sent an actor to the Department of Health and Human Services offices in Charleston and Summerville. The actor posed as an Irish Republican Army supporter seeking health care assistance for about two dozen others he said were hurt in overseas gun battles.... He also said he wanted to expose weaknesses in the system by laying out a seemingly outrageous story of terrorists seeking help and not being called on it by cooperative employees.

But as expected from higher ups...

State HHS Director Anthony Keck said Tuesday he wanted the public to know that the paperwork would never have been approved or the assistance granted. He did say that the video raises questions about whether the employee had been properly trained to "handle outrageous situations like this."

"We will fully investigate this situation and involve the Attorney General if needed," he added in a statement. "I do have to say the fact that the imposter closed himself in a room alone with our female worker, and made statements that could be interpreted as intimidating or threatening, is worrisome. We have to understand why the employee didn't immediately call security or her supervisor."

Read more: http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/07/20/2287818/okeefe-targets-sc-health-services.html#ixzz1Sehf8nil

Remember what I said earlier? About the need for "Retraining". And how this is a "Isolated Issue" Isolated issues excuse was used last time. Retraining this time. And they tossed in "She was intimidated".

bijou
07-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Here's number 3

James O’Keefe, founder of Project Veritas today released the third in a series of undercover investigations into Medicaid fraud. Citizen journalists have uncovered widespread Medicaid fraud in state offices across the country.

In the latest video, filmed in several Medicaid offices in New York City, an undercover reporter, who identifies himself as “Mario” seeks to apply for Medicaid for himself and his pregnant girlfriend, “Peach.”

When Mario is asked about his income, he intimates that he was a plumber, but does not earn a steady living and his source of income may not be legal, specifically the sale of “Mushrooms.” When the conversation turns to his income, the Medicaid worker says, “I don’t want to know nothing. I know you’re trying to survive, but you can’t tell me these things, okay?” Mario presses with, “If they come, I’m going to get arrested.” The Medicaid case worker also tells Mario to obtain a letter from a legitimate company saying that he is employed. ...
http://theprojectveritas.com/mario

Apocalypse
07-26-2011, 06:42 PM
#4 and #5 are out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcTTihk6l4o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya72QXKvo8Y