PDA

View Full Version : House passes GOP debt measure; Obama praises compromise plan

SarasotaRepub
07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
By Alan Silverleib and Tom Cohen, CNN
July 19, 2011 8:57 p.m. EDT

Washington (CNN) -- The U.S. House on Tuesday night passed the "cut, cap and balance" deficit reduction plan backed by tea party conservatives but dismissed by President Barack Obama, who offered strong praise for another proposal put together by a bipartisan group of senators.

The so-called Gang of Six plan -- drafted by three Democratic and three Republican senators -- presents a possible compromise to Obama and congressional leaders as they approach a deadline for a deal on cutting federal deficits in order to gain Republican support for raising the federal debt ceiling to avoid an unprecedented default.

It would cut the nation's debt by about $3.7 trillion over the next 10 years -- similar to the president's call for roughly $4 trillion in savings.

Obama called the plan by the Gang of Six senators "broadly consistent" with his own approach to the current debt ceiling crisis because it mixes tax changes, entitlement reforms and spending reductions.

LINKY (http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/07/19/debt.talks/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)
:rolleyes:

fettpett
07-19-2011, 09:37 PM
fuck the compromise, the GOP needs to get behind Cap, Cut & Balance now and stop pussy footing around this. Let the ball be in Dems hands, especially Obama's and see them get their asses kicked next Nov.

Rockntractor
07-19-2011, 09:47 PM
A vote for more taxes will be a vote for Obama and a democrat house and congress in 2012, I bet I know who will be for it.

Apache
07-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Congessional term limits...:mad:

fettpett
07-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Congessional term limits...:mad:

amen

fettpett
07-19-2011, 10:04 PM
A vote for more taxes will be a vote for Obama and a democrat house and congress in 2012, I bet I know who will be for it.

Cap, Cut & Balance isn't the compromise plan, just fyi, it figures to cut about 5.8 trillion out of the budget. the "compromise" would only cut about 3.7 trillion.

Rockntractor
07-19-2011, 10:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Df_GJMdmo&feature=related

Rockntractor
07-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Cap, Cut & Balance isn't the compromise plan, just fyi, it figures to cut about 5.8 trillion out of the budget. the "compromise" would only cut about 3.7 trillion.

The gang of six plan brings in more tax revenue, which means more taxes.

Apache
07-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Which in turn means more unemployment, more government dole and less tax revenue...

They haven't done it THEIR way yet...:rolleyes:

fettpett
07-19-2011, 10:25 PM

yep, which is why the GOP plan is better, but the douchebag is already saying he's going to veto it

http://thehill.com/homenews/%20administration/171997-obama-officially-threatens-to-veto-cup-cap-and-balanc

Obama officially threatens to veto Republicans' 'cut, cap and balance' bill
By Sam Youngman - 07/18/11 03:58 PM ET

The White House on Monday warned President Obama will veto GOP legislation to “cut, cap and balance” spending and the budget.

In a statement of administration policy, the White House Office of Management and Budget labeled the GOP bill as an “empty political statement.”

The House Rules Committee is expected to take up the measure Monday, and it is likely to receive a floor vote on Tuesday. The measure would cut spending in fiscal 2012 by $111 billion, cap future spending at 19.9 percent of gross domestic product and allow for the debt ceiling to be increased if a balanced-budget amendment is approved by Congress and sent to the states.

The administration said the measure, which is not expected to move through the Senate, is unnecessary and unrealistic.

“Neither setting arbitrary spending levels nor amending the Constitution is necessary to restore fiscal responsibility,” the White House said in its statement. “Increasing the federal debt limit, which is needed to avoid a federal government default on its obligations and a severe blow to the economy, should not be conditioned on taking these actions. Instead of pursuing an empty political statement and unrealistic policy goals, it is necessary to move beyond politics as usual and find bipartisan common ground.”
RELATED ARTICLES

GOPer to White House: You must be kidding about veto threat
Carney: GOP's plan is really 'duck, dodge and dismantle'

The president's veto threat was followed by a full-on assault from administration officials who blasted the GOP proposal as "extreme, radical [and] unprecedented."

White House communications director Dan Pfeiffer said in a conference call Monday afternoon that the Republican plan "enshrines into the Constitution the Ryan plan on steroids." Pfeiffer was referring to the House GOP budget authored by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), which included significant reforms to Medicare.

Republicans are rallying around the "cut, cap and balance" measure as their answer to the debt talks as negotiations between the administration and congressional leaders have stalled. Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) said he was disappointed at Obama's veto threat and that the House vote would go forward Tuesday as scheduled.

"It’s disappointing the White House would reject this common-sense plan to rein in the debt and deficits that are hurting job creation in America," Boehner said in a statement. "While American families have to set priorities and balance their books, this White House obviously isn’t serious about making the same tough choices.

"This unfortunate veto threat should make clear that the issue is not congressional inaction, but rather the [resident’s unwillingness to cut spending and restrain the future growth of our government. If we are going to raise the debt limit and avoid default, the White House must be willing to demonstrate more courage than we have seen to date," Boehner said.

Senate GOP leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) has offered a proposal that would grant responsibility to Obama for raising the debt ceiling, but it is unpopular with House conservatives.

The administration lambasted the "cut, cap and balance" proposal as setting out “a false and unacceptable choice between the federal government defaulting on its obligations now or, alternatively, passing a Balanced Budget Amendment that, in the years ahead, will likely leave the nation unable to meet its core commitment of ensuring dignity in retirement.”

The White House also blasted some of the cuts Republicans have suggested, saying the proposal would “undercut the federal government’s ability to meet its core commitments to seniors, middle-class families and the most vulnerable, while reducing our ability to invest in our future.

“[The bill] would set unrealistic spending caps that could result in significant cuts to education, research and development and other programs critical to growing our economy and winning the future,” the statement said. “It could also lead to severe cuts in Medicare and Social Security, which are growing to accommodate the retirement of the baby boomers, and put at risk the retirement security for tens of millions of Americans.”

Rockntractor
07-19-2011, 10:39 PM
yep, which is why the GOP plan is better, but the douchebag is already saying he's going to veto it

Which is why we need a new douchebag, it would be nice if we had the disposable kind you throw out after each use!:confused:

SaintLouieWoman
07-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Congress would vote on -- and presumably pass -- "resolutions of disapproval" for each request. Obama would likely veto each resolution. Unless Congress manages to override the president's vetoes -- considered highly unlikely -- the debt ceiling would increase.
The unusual scheme would allow most Republicans and some more conservative Democrats to vote against any debt ceiling hike while still allowing it to clear.

The devil is always in the details. This appeared toward the bottom of the article. This is why I despise most politicians. And anything sponsored by the lovely Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois would almost always trigger a thumbs down from me.

SaintLouieWoman
07-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Which is why we need a new douchebag, it would be nice if we had the disposable kind you throw out after each use!:confused:

I wish we had the vote of no-confidence. The British are wise with their ability to vote out their leadership, not just on a November every 4 years.

lacarnut
07-19-2011, 10:46 PM
If I am reading this abortion correctly, tax rates will go up approximately 50% on two of the 3 new tax rates and from 23 to 29% on the highest rates. Screw that. If these morons pass this crap, they will be out on their ears. Furthermore, spending cuts off in the future (Alice and Wonderland fashion) is a pipe dream. How stupid can these Republicans be?

fettpett
07-19-2011, 10:49 PM
there are 3 different plans, Obama and Gang of 6 crap that the CNN article is about, the McConnell plan and the Cap, Cut, & Balance plan that the House passed tonight.

lacarnut
07-19-2011, 11:04 PM
there are 3 different plans, Obama and Gang of 6 crap that the CNN article is about, the McConnell plan and the Cap, Cut, & Balance plan that the House passed tonight.

This article is so lopsided in it's bias to the Gang of 6 and the dimwit McConnell plan. Hope the Repubs in the House stick to their guns with no new taxes and spending cuts now.

Bailey
07-20-2011, 07:53 AM

I dont think the GOP is that stupid to vote for tax hikes just so the magic negro can pin it on the Republicans in an election year, well then again i hope they aren't stupid. :(

AmPat
07-20-2011, 08:50 AM
I dont think the GOP is that stupid to vote for tax hikes just so the magic negro can pin it on the Republicans in an election year, well then again i hope they aren't stupid. :(

I fear they are. I just hope somebody with balls rises to the top and takes this country back from the brink of disaster the DUmmyRATS are speeding us toward. I'll save my money for the eventual nominee. We need to cull this herd a little. Would Romney please go away and a real Conservative step forward?:confused::mad: