PDA

View Full Version : Court: Appeal to assassinate Obama is protected speech

Carol
07-20-2011, 03:55 PM
link (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4928521)

Ian David Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-20-11 03:07 PM
Original message
Court: Appeal to assassinate Obama is protected speech Updated at 3:25 PM

Edited on Wed Jul-20-11 03:10 PM by Ian David
Source: RawStory

A federal appeals court ruled Tuesday that calling for someone to kill the President of the United States cannot be classified as a threat because standing law does not prohibit "predictions or exhortations" to violence.

In a 2-1 decision, judges on the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that California resident Walter E. Bagdasarian was engaging in free speech when he wrote that Obama "will have a 50 cal in the head soon," then called on someone to "shoot the nig."

Bagdasarian published his comments on a Yahoo finance website in the weeks leading up to the 2008 presidential election. He was arrested weeks later, after one of the other commenters reported a potential threat to the Secret Service. During a search of his residence, authorities discovered that he did indeed possess a .50 caliber rifle.

"These statements are particularly repugnant because they directly encourage violence," the judges wrote. "We nevertheless hold that neither of them constitutes an offense within the meaning of the threat statute under which Bagdasarian was convicted."

Read more: http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/20/court-appeal-to-a... /

Do they really want to go there? If it's not free speech then they can look for MANY, Many DUers to be arrested and convicted of their desire to kill or have someone else kill President Bush and Vice President Cheney, as well as many other Republican politicians and pundits.

Politicub (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-20-11 03:08 PM
Response to Original message
2. WTF!?!?

This is unreal.

Drale Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-20-11 03:13 PM
6. Just another ruling by the terrorist court system

If this is true then I think I'm going to walk up to Boner and tell him I'm going to shoot him in the face, its not a threat it free speech.

Walk away Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-20-11 03:22 PM
8. Last week a client of mine was shouting for someone to murder the President.

He was picking up his dog and he started ranting about how disgusting Obama was. My whole neighborhood must have heard. I was mostly in shock and just talked about it for the first time today. This is a white businessman who is married to a beautiful black woman. He grew up in my liberal home town and he was bursting with hate and rage against our president.

I think he must be a teabagger. They are really scary!
True to form, race just has to be prominently stated. To liberals it's all about race and the color of someones skin. What does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Note: I do not approve or condone that kind of language, but the hypocrisy of DUers is as predictable as it is pathetic.

SarasotaRepub
07-20-2011, 05:56 PM
Ha! The DUmmies were all for Bush/Cheney being killed. How many times did
the Secret Service visit DU HQ???

And the best part is if someone mentions this the DUmmies all get
amnesia and don't know what the poster is talking about.

Kay
07-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Heck they even made a movie acting out the assassination of W.

CueSi
07-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Walk away Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-20-11 03:22 PM
8. Last week a client of mine was shouting for someone to murder the President.

He was picking up his dog and he started ranting about how disgusting Obama was. My whole neighborhood must have heard. I was mostly in shock and just talked about it for the first time today. This is a white businessman who is married to a beautiful black woman. He grew up in my liberal home town and he was bursting with hate and rage against our president.

I think he must be a teabagger. They are really scary!

That's the last time I let my husband pick up the dog. Next time, I'll do it. :p

~QC

AmPat
07-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Drale Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Jul-20-11 03:13 PM
6. Just another ruling by the terrorist court system

If this is true then I think I'm going to walk up to Boner and tell him I'm going to shoot him in the face, its not a threat it free speech.
At this point the retard Drale would be performing the dying cock roach maneuver on the side walk in a pool of his own blood.

NJCardFan
07-21-2011, 09:39 AM
I find it funny how they can't differentiate between an out and out threat and just blowhard rhetoric. Just saying "someone needs to take him out" and physically walk up to someone and say "O'm going to shoot you in the face" are 2 completely different things.

Apocalypse
07-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm actually a bit surprised by the ruling my self. And would like to see how this holds up in the SCOTUS. This ruling coming from the 9th? The most Liberal court? Wow.

Now I will disagree with their ruling. It has been historically held it is illegal to threaten the POTUS. And calling for his assassination has been a crime. And if some one followed through on that call, what would he, and the court say then?

I can't stand Obama, but any one calling for his death is over the top as he is our POTUS, same as Bush was and any time the left did it, it was very wrong and they should have been punished.

AmPat
07-22-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm actually a bit surprised by the ruling my self. And would like to see how this holds up in the SCOTUS. This ruling coming from the 9th? The most Liberal court? Wow.

Now I will disagree with their ruling. It has been historically held it is illegal to threaten the POTUS. And calling for his assassination has been a crime. And if some one followed through on that call, what would he, and the court say then?

I can't stand Obama, but any one calling for his death is over the top as he is our POTUS, same as Bush was and any time the left did it, it was very wrong and they should have been punished.

He did not threaten and did not call for his assassination.