PDA

View Full Version : Makes me sick...

Bailey
07-21-2011, 08:15 AM
I cant believe we are no longer sending people into space anymore. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2017122/Nasas-shuttle-programme-comes-end-Kennedy-Space-Centre-awaits-Atlantis-landing.html

linda22003
07-21-2011, 08:25 AM
It was fun and exciting (especially for those of us who watched Alan Shepard and John Glenn go up, on a black and white TV the teacher brought to school), but I can't name a single experiment done on the shuttle that is in use for our benefit today. There must be something, but I have no clue what. We need to get down to the essentials, not the "nice to have" things.

SaintLouieWoman
07-21-2011, 09:14 AM
I cant believe we are no longer sending people into space anymore. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2017122/Nasas-shuttle-programme-comes-end-Kennedy-Space-Centre-awaits-Atlantis-landing.html

That's how I felt this morning. There was a slight possibility that we'd hear the sonic boom, but it probably came a bit south of us. We turned on the news a few minutes after the boom was supposed to hit and saw the landing. It left me with such a feeling of sadness, that somehow our pride as a country has been tarnished. I know that it's been in the works for some time, but Obama just doesn't engender a feeling of pride in our country.

It's sort of like Carter's unfortunate use of the term "malaise", whether he really said it or not. Michele and Obama just plain old don't have the vision of our country as the shining city on the hill. They're a bad combination---downer type people in the White House while the country is going through the tough economic times. He definitely isn't the leader to inspire us to greatness.

fettpett
07-21-2011, 09:16 AM

after this idiot cancled the Constellation project and the Atlas V rocket, then mothballed the Shuttles (I know it was under Bush, but he had justification with the Atlas V and only a 2 year gap between it being ready) with out a replacement, it'll be incredibly difficult to restart the space program and we have to rely on the fucking Russians to get people to the ISS :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Rockntractor
07-21-2011, 09:52 AM
It was fun and exciting (especially for those of us who watched Alan Shepard and John Glenn go up, on a black and white TV the teacher brought to school), but I can't name a single experiment done on the shuttle that is in use for our benefit today. There must be something, but I have no clue what. We need to get down to the essentials, not the "nice to have" things.

Believe it or not, your life has probably been touched in some way by space technology. Since 1976, about 1,400 documented NASA inventions have benefited U.S. industry, improved the quality of life and created jobs for not just Americans, but around the world as well. From the early days of space exploration, primarily the apollo program helped change the way of life in America, especially in health care.
More>http://space.about.com/od/toolsequipment/ss/apollospinoffs.htm
This article is a start. As someone who was involved in the manufacture of the shuttle as well as other aircraft for many years, I couldn't begin to tell you the benefits to manufacturing technology it has brought.

NJCardFan
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM

So sayeth the woman tapping away at a computer. :rolleyes:

djones520
07-21-2011, 10:03 AM
http://techtran.msfc.nasa.gov/at_home.html

A lengthy list of items.

Bailey
07-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Thats why I didn't respond to her(lindanumbers), someone that always has to prove how smart she is kind of shit the bed with that statement. lol

We use to do big things in this country, now all we do is worry about giving welfare to bums. :vomit:

Yes it sucks having to depend on the stinking Russians to get to a space station that we mainly built and supported. :(

fettpett
07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Thats why I didn't respond to her(lindanumbers), someone that always has to prove how smart she is kind of shit the bed with that statement. lol

We use to do big things in this country, now all we do is worry about giving welfare to bums. :vomit:

Yes it sucks having to depend on the stinking Russians to get to a space station that we mainly built and supported. :(

mainly? we built everything that mattered and took everything up there. :vomit:

Bailey
07-21-2011, 10:56 AM
mainly? we built everything that mattered and took everything up there. :vomit:

Yes I know that :D

I'd rather see half the money that goes to welfare go to the space program, screw the bums. :D

fettpett
07-21-2011, 11:03 AM

I'd rather see half the money that goes to welfare go to the space program, screw the bums. :D

sounds good to me

Rockntractor
07-21-2011, 11:09 AM

She had to know that, she was just prompting us to think.

linda22003
07-21-2011, 12:20 PM
So sayeth the woman tapping away at a computer. :rolleyes:

Computers were invented in outer space?

linda22003
07-21-2011, 12:23 PM
This article is a start. As someone who was involved in the manufacture of the shuttle as well as other aircraft for many years, I couldn't begin to tell you the benefits to manufacturing technology it has brought.

Thanks for the link. Some stuff was more interesting than others, and maybe they'd still be in business if the benefits were better known.

linda22003
07-21-2011, 12:25 PM
http://techtran.msfc.nasa.gov/at_home.html

A lengthy list of items.

Okay - the Elizabeth Arden Beauty Makeover - I'm convinced, now!

linda22003
07-21-2011, 12:27 PM

You may think so, but it was a serious question on my part. Others provided answers, instead of crap.

linda22003
07-21-2011, 12:37 PM
And anyway, aren't we all in favor of private enterprise?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/22/science/space/22moon.html?_r=2&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

Rockntractor
07-21-2011, 01:05 PM
Computers were invented in outer space?

No more so than the spacecraft, that really isn't the point though.

lacarnut
07-21-2011, 01:11 PM
We need to get down to the essentials, not the "nice to have" things.

You mean like eliminating funding for Planned Parenthood, TSA, Homeland Security, EPA along with 20 to 30 per cent of the government workforce in DC. If we could get all the politicians and federal employees in DC to pay their taxes along with dumping these worthless agencies, we would have enough money to keep the space program alive. Which for your information would instill American pride and accomplishments rather than a sewer mentality of the US by Obama and his administration.

linda22003
07-21-2011, 01:24 PM
You mean like eliminating funding for Planned Parenthood, TSA, Homeland Security, EPA along with 20 to 30 per cent of the government workforce in DC. If we could get all the politicians and federal employees in DC to pay their taxes along with dumping these worthless agencies, we would have enough money to keep the space program alive. Which for your information would instill American pride and accomplishments rather than a sewer mentality of the US by Obama and his administration.

I agree that all of those could take a hit. And if the private sector can take up the space area, why not? The USAF is deeply involved in space programs as well; it's not just NASA.

Starbuck
07-21-2011, 02:57 PM
You may think so, but it was a serious question on my part. Others provided answers, instead of crap.

Long ago, when I was a kid, I had classmates who where sort of rocket geeks. They followed the space program, watched all the lift offs, understood some of the physics involved; got interested. Studied astronomy, even. Had telescopes. Talked about it at school.

And where are those kids today?
Well, Gary was VP of Johnson & Johnson before he left the company and started his own. He has advanced medical degrees.
Gordy is an attorney in New Orleans.
Ricky is a heart surgeon in South Carolina.
Chuck is an attorney in Alabama.
Billy went to the Air Force Academy and flew fighter jets until he retired to teach calculus at a college in Virginia.

No. None of us went to outer space. But we all studied difficult subjects. We knew that if we really tried we could do things, be someone, be admired.
And that was just the kids I ran with. In my home town.

We were inspired. We admired astronauts. Wanted to be like them. We knew that this country was part of something important and we wanted to be part of that.

Without space exploration what would the source of inspiration have been? The NFL? Pop culture? Who knows, because it was NASA that provided the inspiration and wonder that drove us all to become better than the 12 year old kids we were.

Get it?:)

The Night Owl
07-21-2011, 03:20 PM

How do we know NASA has sent people into space? NASA is lying about climate change and so it's probably lying about everything else!

Zathras
07-21-2011, 03:24 PM
http://www.linnnk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Hurrrr-Durrr-Derp-Derp-Derp-Sharks.jpg

Fixed

Wei Wu Wei
07-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Good riddance. Government cannot create jobs, government cannot innovate. We can just let the private sector do this all, it's not like governemnt was doing so great before.

Rebel Yell
07-21-2011, 04:10 PM
Good riddance. Government cannot create jobs, government cannot innovate. We can just let the private sector do this all, it's not like governemnt was doing so great before.

That's right. Now they can focus on what's really important, like Muslims' feelings.

ironhorsedriver
07-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Well, number 1, private sector will need to see profit before doing it, rightly so. They don't have a Government printing press. Can you imagine where we could be in space, if politicians actually gave it the money it needs!
I guess we get to sit back and watch the Chinese, Russians and Indians take the lead in manned space flight.
The Governments shortsightedness will come back to bite us in the ass.

Wei Wu Wei
07-21-2011, 04:32 PM
That's right. Now they can focus on what's really important, like Muslims' feelings.

You mean how Reagan did? Or Bush?

http://i.imgur.com/AdbA8.jpg

fettpett
07-21-2011, 05:55 PM
You mean how Reagan did? Or Bush?

http://i.imgur.com/AdbA8.jpg

not the same thing dumbass and you know it:mg:

Hawkgirl
07-21-2011, 06:22 PM
You mean like eliminating funding for Planned Parenthood, TSA, Homeland Security, .

We can't eliminate Homeland Security... who would be responisble for making sure 93 year old women get their diapers removed????

Rockntractor
07-21-2011, 06:27 PM
How do we know NASA has sent people into space? NASA is lying about climate change and so it's probably lying about everything else!

NASA has not always been controlled by the left and been politicized, but truth doesn't matter to you.

SaintLouieWoman
07-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Long ago, when I was a kid, I had classmates who where sort of rocket geeks. They followed the space program, watched all the lift offs, understood some of the physics involved; got interested. Studied astronomy, even. Had telescopes. Talked about it at school.

And where are those kids today?
Well, Gary was VP of Johnson & Johnson before he left the company and started his own. He has advanced medical degrees.
Gordy is an attorney in New Orleans.
Ricky is a heart surgeon in South Carolina.
Chuck is an attorney in Alabama.
Billy went to the Air Force Academy and flew fighter jets until he retired to teach calculus at a college in Virginia.

No. None of us went to outer space. But we all studied difficult subjects. We knew that if we really tried we could do things, be someone, be admired.
And that was just the kids I ran with. In my home town.

We were inspired. We admired astronauts. Wanted to be like them. We knew that this country was part of something important and we wanted to be part of that.

Without space exploration what would the source of inspiration have been? The NFL? Pop culture? Who knows, because it was NASA that provided the inspiration and wonder that drove us all to become better than the 12 year old kids we were.

Get it?:)
Beautifully said. There's a crassness now and many don't want to try to get ahead, just get by.

It sounds like you ran with an impressive bunch of friends.

I see some good kids at Mote Marine Research Lab. They have high school kids and college interns working there, inspired by some of the scientists there. Heck with the kids, I'm impressed all to hell with them. There's Dr Sylvia Earle, probably in her mid seventies, who's still doing those deep dives and I believe still holds the record of the deepest anyone human has gone in a submersible.

There's Dr Eugenie Clark, who was peaking out at me in an article on adventurers in Smithsonian Magazine. She had been doing research on whale sharks. The other 2 pictured were 2 scientists who had taught classes I attended as part of my training at Mote.

That's what kids should be looking up to----Dr Clark is 91 and still goes to her office every day and still dives almost every day. Kids (and adults) need positive role models. Obama sure isn't one.

Odysseus
07-21-2011, 10:16 PM

Half? One man on Mars is worth a million on Skid Row. Transfer all of it.

You are an idiot, but in fact, the corruption at NASA is the direct result of the redefinition of the agency's mission from space exploration to politically correct BS. An agency that has no core mission ends up shilling for whatever fads that will keep it in grant money.

Government didn't innovate. Every nut, bolt and widget was produced by the private sector. The DOD and NASA are the only government agencies that have ever achieved anything remotely resembling efficiency, because they had clearly defined mandates and missions, and those missions related directly to the Constitutional mandate of defense. The Soviets began the space race, because Stalin, like Hitler before him, wanted to be able to launch missiles through space). We responded by doing what we always used to do, which was reward innovation and advancement.

Odysseus
07-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Superb summary of the issues surrounding the shuttle end, courtesy of the NY Post.

Goodbye, Atlantis
By ARTHUR HERMAN
Last Updated: 3:26 AM, July 21, 2011
Posted: 10:49 PM, July 20, 2011
'Four. . . three . . . two . . . one. We have ignition . . . and lift-off."

For more than half a century, that countdown sequence has signaled the start of another daring plunge into the unknown -- what we've come to know as "The Right Stuff."

Now that sound will only be a folk memory. As space shuttle Atlantis touches down for the last time, it closes out an era that began with John Kennedy's dedicating America to going to the moon and stretched through Alan Shepherd, John Glenn and Neil Armstrong to Christa McAuliffe and Mark Kelly.

It involved the crews of Mercury and Apollo and the space shuttle's 135 missions and the engineers of a thousand companies who made those things fly -- and gave us personal computers, cellphones and GPS along the way.

The situation is deeply frustrating for those who know the shuttle program firsthand, like Apollo 17 commander Eugene Cernan: "This is the first time in a half century we're going to be sitting on our hands and watching the other guys" -- meaning the Russians -- "and not being able to get into space. Keeping a shuttle in the garage warm and fueled, and ready to go would be . . . a tremendous signal to the rest of the world that we're still in the ball game."

But some don't want us in the game anymore.

Closing down the shuttle isn't a way to save money: President Obama actually wants NASA's funding to go up. But he's also canceling the follow-up Constellation program for returning to the moon -- and turning NASA into a program for Muslim outreach and monitoring climate change.

Oh, and designing a bigger rocket that someday, we're told, could take astronauts and robot ships to asteroids and Mars. Right: We'll see Obama embrace the flat tax first. There's ideology at work here.

Richard Nixon launched the shuttle program in 1972, but the president whose name will always be associated with it is Ronald Reagan.

He oversaw the first orbital flight in 1981, just nine years after the program began. Then, after the Challenger disaster took the lives of McAuliffe and six other shuttle crew members on Jan. 28, 1986, he insisted that the program continue.

Reagan understood that the desire to put Americans into space was part the frontier spirit that had spurred creativity and innovation since the country's founding, and that historian Frederick Jackson Turner argued was the fuel of American exceptionalism.

"Nothing ends here," Reagan assured a heartbroken nation that night. "Our hopes and our journeys continue."

By contrast, the American left always detested the space program as Cold War hubris and saw the Right Stuff as a danger zone filled with hazardously high levels of testosterone. The only value they saw was as a display of big government in action -- when, in fact, the program was really a coming together of American industrial knowhow, engineering innovation, scientific precision and sheer guts that a government could fund but never recreate.

The left has gotten its wish -- for now.

Yes, the technologies behind the shuttle program are outdated, and yes, it has cost us money, some $200 billion over the last four decades. Still, Atlantis' last flight is a sad day for those who believe in America's greatness and a happy day for those who welcome America's decline.

But the American people have not had their final word on Obama's decisions here (as on so much else). Certainly, any Republican presidential candidate who promised to revive the space shuttle would send a powerful signal to the country that the spirit of JFK and Reagan lives and that America's day of leadership is not done.

Arthur Herman is an American Enterprise Institute visiting scholar.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/goodbye_atlantis_BnUOOhy3QFefWByZw3JULP#ixzz1SqZmB Uw9

megimoo
07-22-2011, 12:55 PM
This article is a start. As someone who was involved in the manufacture of the shuttle as well as other aircraft for many years, I couldn't begin to tell you the benefits to manufacturing technology it has brought.OMG don't confuse numbers with facts....When she has her head made up.

linda22003
07-22-2011, 01:25 PM
OMG don't confuse numbers with facts....When she has her head made up.

You were gone for awhile. Why on earth did you come back?

Zathras
07-22-2011, 01:27 PM
You were gone for awhile. Why on earth did you come back?

To make your life here a living hell of course. :D

linda22003
07-22-2011, 02:27 PM
To make your life here a living hell of course. :D

He'd love to have that kind of power, or any kind of power for that matter.

Odysseus
08-15-2011, 11:00 AM
http://global.nationalreview.com/images/cartoon_071511_A.jpg

One picture is worth a thousand words. And one Mike Ramirez cartoon is worth a dozen pictures.

txradioguy
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
It's amazing how one political party...and especially one man has turned "American Exceptionalism" into a dirty word.