PDA

View Full Version : OS X Lion Anyone?

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 04:36 AM
I was one of the million plus who downloaded it on day one.

Anyone else get it yet?

I'm testing it on my MBP before I put it on the wires iMac or the kids laptop...but so far it's worked like a charm. The few (that I've discovered) similarities to the OS on the iPhone are really cool.

No performance hits and it doesn't bog down my system like what I've experienced upgrading to windows on 2 year old machines in the past.

So for anyone who's upgraded to Lion like me...what do you think?

fettpett
07-23-2011, 10:37 AM
you'd have to be a Mac user/fanboi to want that :vomit:

Rockntractor
07-23-2011, 11:06 AM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/1285147464_sleepy-kitten.gif

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 01:25 PM
you'd have to be a Mac user/fanboi to want that :vomit:

No fanboy but definitely a user. :D I know there are a few here...just curious to see who else had updated.

Rockntractor
07-23-2011, 01:30 PM
No fanboy but definitely a user. :D I know there are a few here...just curious to see who else had updated.

If you are using word you will have to buy a new copy, the same with some email programs.

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 01:44 PM
If you are using word you will have to buy a new copy, the same with some email programs.

I upgraded to Office 2011 before I came home from Afghanistan and it's good to go so far.

The only program that showed up in the "incompatible software folder"...so far...was a program called Drop Box.

TechTool Pro warns me that the program hasn't been tested yet with 10.7.

I've been lucky so far.

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Ok just ran into problem #1.

Tried to update my wife's iMac. 10.7 requires 2gb of Ram minimum.

Rockntractor
07-23-2011, 04:43 PM
I upgraded to Office 2011 before I came home from Afghanistan and it's good to go so far.

The only program that showed up in the "incompatible software folder"...so far...was a program called Drop Box.

TechTool Pro warns me that the program hasn't been tested yet with 10.7.

I've been lucky so far.

I use Drop box every other day when I upload oil data.

hampshirebrit
07-23-2011, 05:47 PM
I was one of the million plus who downloaded it on day one.

Anyone else get it yet?

I'm testing it on my MBP before I put it on the wires iMac or the kids laptop...but so far it's worked like a charm. The few (that I've discovered) similarities to the OS on the iPhone are really cool.

No performance hits and it doesn't bog down my system like what I've experienced upgrading to windows on 2 year old machines in the past.

So for anyone who's upgraded to Lion like me...what do you think?

Yep, gottit for the MBP and like it. Apple are definitely going for OS-X / IOS convergence in some aspects.

As usual with Apple, a problem-free experience.

Rockntractor
07-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Yep, gottit for the MBP and like it. Apple are definitely going for OS-X / IOS convergence in some aspects.

I'm glad you got it running again, good to see you back!:D

txradioguy
07-24-2011, 05:05 AM
I use Drop box every other day when I upload oil data.

Yeah I can see the advantages of it. I had the unfortunately experience of using it when I was in Afghanistan on a deathly slow connection.

Hopefully they will come out with an updated version.

But it looks like Apple is trying to do the same thing in house with Air Drop.

txradioguy
07-24-2011, 05:06 AM

Wait till you start discovering the finger swipe combos you can do with your trackpad! :D

newshutr
07-24-2011, 09:40 AM
I got it day one also... I'm running a 3 y.o. MBP with the intel processor. The only problem I have is that my desktop icons keep getting all pushed to the right side of the screen..sometimes all on top of each other..

hampshirebrit
07-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Wait till you start discovering the finger swipe combos you can do with your trackpad! :D

LMAO! :D:D Already done. It's just awesome. This really is how an OS is supposed to be.

Does need memory though, you're right. I've just found out that I've got an MM that only has 1gb. :(

I'm thinking of getting the new Air with 4gb and a solid state hard-drive. 10.7 will be awesome on that.

Rockntractor
07-24-2011, 04:13 PM
LMAO! :D:D Already done. It's just awesome. This really is how an OS is supposed to be.

Does need memory though, you're right. I've just found out that I've got an MM that only has 1gb. :(

I'm thinking of getting the new Air with 4gb and a solid state hard-drive. 10.7 will be awesome on that.

I thought your death leopard operating system was the perfect one, why did you need to change?:confused:

hampshirebrit
07-24-2011, 05:24 PM
I thought your death leopard operating system was the perfect one, why did you need to change?:confused:

It's just a version update, dude, calm down. :D

It cost me 21. I can easily afford 21. "Need" doesn't really enter into it. It's all about continuous improvement.

Rockntractor
07-24-2011, 05:41 PM

It cost me 21. I can easily afford 21. "Need" doesn't really enter into it. It's all about continuous improvement.

Okay, carry on!:popcorn:

hampshirebrit
07-24-2011, 06:54 PM

He didn't show up yet, so your popcorn sales will be limited.

Rockntractor
07-24-2011, 06:57 PM
He didn't show up yet, so your popcorn sales will be limited.

I should have sent out invitations, I hope your OS holds up a little longer until he gets here.:confused:

txradioguy
07-25-2011, 02:38 AM

The other great thing about that cost is whether you have 1 Mac or 5 in your house...that $29.99 one time cost covers all the machines in your house.

txradioguy
07-25-2011, 02:40 AM

LOL! Ten years of the Same OS with small upgrades along the way.

Meanwhile Windoze has been through 2000, ME, XP, Vista, XP and Version 7. with at least 4 SP's for each one along the way.

Just sayin :D

RobJohnson
07-25-2011, 03:40 AM
I don't own an Apple computer, but most things Apple makes I have found they simply work, and work well.

I have an 18 month old gateway laptop that has software issues every time there is a windows update....it's always pissing me off. I have a new Toshiba laptop still sitting in the box that I bought two months ago. I was going to swap out wireless routers and wanted to do it all at once. That was before more important issues came up.

Right now I am typing on a four year old Windows XP laptop and it seems to work the best...but it gets very hot, even on a cool pad, so it might be melting inside...lol

I almost think I should of tried an Apple for a change.

Zafod
07-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Rob, apples hardware is no different than those laptops you have... The main difference is the OS.... THAT'S ALL!!!!!!!!!

Apple OS is fine for some but its just a option among a sea of options out there.

My question to lot of people who buy apples (I.e. the idiots who don't know anything outside of browsing the internet and email) why would you pay 1000.00 on a 13 inch macbook when you could get a 15 inch laptop for 300.00 ?

People get sold on the name and marketing....that's it.

Zafod
07-25-2011, 09:17 AM
Oh and Apple wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for Windows. Check the history. Financial bail outs to fixing the OS software for them lol

fettpett
07-25-2011, 09:37 AM
LOL! Ten years of the Same OS with small upgrades along the way.

Meanwhile Windoze has been through 2000, ME, XP, Vista, XP and Version 7. with at least 4 SP's for each one along the way.

Just sayin :D

and yet OSX is still far less secure and more susceptible to viruses than Windows, it's just that every few people write viruses for Macs cuz they have such a small footprint in the market

http://www.tonyrocks.com/index.php/tutorials/writing-for-the-web/a-mac-virus-da-heck-mac-os-x-vulnerability-huh/
http://www.securemac.com/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9905095-37.html?tag=posts;msg2739800

:popcorn:

fettpett
07-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Rob, apples hardware is no different than those laptops you have... The main difference is the OS.... THAT'S ALL!!!!!!!!!

QFT

and Apple is a bounch of douchebags when it comes to 3rd party vendors putting OSX on their computers

Zafod
07-25-2011, 12:05 PM
QFT

and Apple is a bounch of douchebags when it comes to 3rd party vendors putting OSX on their computers

they have that right but I think that has hurt them in the computer market as well as made them a cult like following.....

If they didnt have the "i-shit" they would be fucking toast.

The imac was a huge fucking fail when it came out......

fettpett
07-25-2011, 01:28 PM
they have that right but I think that has hurt them in the computer market as well as made them a cult like following.....

If they didnt have the "i-shit" they would be fucking toast.

The imac was a huge fucking fail when it came out......

I know they have the right from a business sense, but in the computer world it just makes them out to be big douchebags and elitist.

hampshirebrit
07-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Apple shipped 3.95 million Macintosh computers during the quarter, a unit increase of 14 percent over the year-ago quarter. Quarterly iPhone unit sales reached 20.34 million, up 142 percent from the year-ago quarter, and the company also sold 7.54 million iPods during the quarter, representing 20 percent unit decline over the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold 9.25 million iPads during the quarter, up 183 percent over the year-ago quarter.

Dere Jebus, please make me an elitist douchebag with a $7.3bn 2011 Q3 profit. If this is elitist douchbaggery, I'm in, Lord, mkay.

Amen. :rolleyes:

Zafod
07-25-2011, 03:03 PM
waaaaaa dont make fun of my snobby choice in a computer!!! waaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

....fixed

fettpett
07-25-2011, 03:10 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/162865/costcomparison_caveats_and_lessons.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/139901/2009/04/mac_windows_1000.html

The Wrap Up

If you've got $1000 to spend, there's no question: Your dollar will go farther, in terms of specs and features, with the Dell or HP notebooks. The white MacBook seems a bit stale, in terms of tech specs, especially compared to the more expensive, refreshed MacBook line Apple introduced last fall.

Of course, the comparisons I've made here aren't the whole story by any stretch. For instance, in my opinion, Mac laptops are still easier--and more pleasurable--to use than Windows laptops. You can't attribute a dollar figure to that. And if you've got your heart set on a MacBook but you can't go above $1000, be aware that refurbished MacBook Airs are available from Apple.com for $999. (Refurbished laptops are returned to the store or manufacturer for a variety of reasons. The laptops are tested for defects and resold at a discount.)

Beyond the two Windows systems I've mentioned, there are countless other worthy models costing $1000 or less. Example: The Lenovo Ideapad Y530, which recently received a PCW rating of 85 (very good), is available for $829 and up. (I didn't compare it to the $999 MacBook because the Ideapad has a 15.4-inch screen, compared to the MacBook's 13.3-inch display.) You can even buy decent Windows laptops for around $500.

http://www.macworld.com/article/139900/2009/04/mac_versus_pc.html

The Wrap Up

If you're primarily looking to get the maximum features and most powerful specs for your $2000, the Dell Precision M4400 looks like the best bet overall among the three. I also like the many configuration options Dell offers.

However, keep in mind I've compared three specific configurations of three laptops. You can buy each laptop in different configurations; Apple offers a 17-inch MacBook Pro, for instance. And there are plenty of other models out there in the $2000 ballpark.

Also, the prices and specs quoted in this article will likely have the shelf life of a spotted banana. My goal here was just to give you a snapshot of what you'd get for $2000 with these specific systems, right this very minute.

All those caveats aside, here's the bottom line: Strictly on the basis of specs and features, your money will go further with a Windows laptop than with an Apple laptop, whether you have $1000 or $2000 to spend.

But does that mean MacBooks aren't a good value? That's where subjectivity comes into play. In my opinion, MacBooks, with the exception of the white $999 model, are indeed good values. I've owned both Macs and Windows PCs since the early 90s, and my Macs have tended to last longer and give me far fewer problems. And Macs are simply a joy to use, thanks to the Mac OS's many ingenious features and Apple's design savvy. I've rarely felt that way about a Windows computer.

there you go, PC's are better than Mac's in both price ranges, and you get more bang for your buck.

another note, comparing Apple's income to any single PC manufacture is apples to oranges.

Zafod
07-25-2011, 03:16 PM
fett you are wasting your time.

he is a apple fan boy and most of all....he is a limey.

They have a hard time with the concept of a toothbrush let alone pc specs vs mac.....

Zafod
07-25-2011, 03:17 PM
BOOOYAH! you know I am just messin with you hampy

fettpett
07-25-2011, 03:22 PM
fett you are wasting your time.

he is a apple fan boy and most of all....he is a limey.

They have a hard time with the concept of a toothbrush let alone pc specs vs mac.....

:lol::lol:

I know, just thought I'd make my point....silly mac fanbois

jnkbortka
07-25-2011, 03:28 PM
I like apple computers, but not to the cultish level lol

hampshirebrit
07-25-2011, 03:31 PM
BOOOYAH! you know I am just messin with you hampy

LMAO, of course I do. :D:D:D

Some of you pee-cee dweebs take this mac-hating shit way, way too seriously, but you're ok. :p

fettpett
07-25-2011, 04:28 PM
LMAO, of course I do. :D:D:D

Some of you pee-cee dweebs take this mac-hating shit way, way too seriously, but you're ok. :p

hey, there is nothing wrong with hating on a bunch of self-absorbed, liberal pricks :D

Zafod
07-25-2011, 04:35 PM
hey, there is nothing wrong with hating on a bunch of self-absorbed, liberal pricks :D

hahahahahahahahahahaha

hampshirebrit
07-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Can you not also say the same of St William of the Gates ?

fettpett
07-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Can you not also say the same of St William of the Gates ?

yep, I think Gates is just as bad as Jobs, but he doesn't run his business that way, and thats why Microsoft has, over all, been far more successful getting their product out there than Apple has.

hampshirebrit
07-25-2011, 05:03 PM
yep, I think Gates is just as bad as Jobs, but he doesn't run his business that way, and thats why Microsoft has, over all, been far more successful getting their product out there than Apple has.

Yep, you're probably right. I just prefer OS-X over M$, it's just better for me.

fettpett
07-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Yep, you're probably right. I just prefer OS-X over M$, it's just better for me.

too each their own, I just like hating on Apple (I do own an ipod) and messing with Mac Fanboi's :D:popcorn:

Zafod
07-25-2011, 07:05 PM
they dont send rockets into space using macs...... BOOYAH!!!

Rockntractor
07-25-2011, 07:47 PM
they dont send rockets into space using macs...... BOOYAH!!!

Yeah, I googled apples in space and all I found were references to them eating them.

Zafod
07-26-2011, 12:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

jnkbortka
07-26-2011, 10:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

LOL

RobJohnson
07-27-2011, 03:37 AM

Apple OS is fine for some but its just a option among a sea of options out there.

My question to lot of people who buy apples (I.e. the idiots who don't know anything outside of browsing the internet and email) why would you pay 1000.00 on a 13 inch macbook when you could get a 15 inch laptop for 300.00 ?

People get sold on the name and marketing....that's it.

I do think some go with Apple for the name and status. The iPhone is a good example.

But I know my Ipod 32g is more user friendly then my Android phone.

I skipped on the Ipad craze...

I do agree about the price being higher....that is why I did not buy an apple with my last purchase, I ended up with more bang for my buck...I still would like to own and try one. Just because.

Zafod
07-27-2011, 01:42 PM
I do think some go with Apple for the name and status. The iPhone is a good example.

But I know my Ipod 32g is more user friendly then my Android phone.

I skipped on the Ipad craze...

I do agree about the price being higher....that is why I did not buy an apple with my last purchase, I ended up with more bang for my buck...I still would like to own and try one. Just because.

your ipod 32g is geared for playing music....thats it.

Not able to really compare the two. Thats like me saying my pocket calculator is easier to use than the CAD program I have.....

fettpett
07-27-2011, 02:26 PM

Not able to really compare the two. Thats like me saying my pocket calculator is easier to use than the CAD program I have.....

Ipod touch and Iphones can be, only because the major difference is the added phone part

Zafod
07-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Ipod touch and Iphones can be, only because the major difference is the added phone part

lol ok when evs.

txradioguy
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
and yet OSX is still far less secure and more susceptible to viruses than Windows, it's just that every few people write viruses for Macs cuz they have such a small footprint in the market

http://www.tonyrocks.com/index.php/tutorials/writing-for-the-web/a-mac-virus-da-heck-mac-os-x-vulnerability-huh/
http://www.securemac.com/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9905095-37.html?tag=posts;msg2739800

:popcorn:

Safe enough that the Army is adopting them.

txradioguy
07-27-2011, 04:33 PM
LOL! Zaf's hatred of mac's is funny.

you'd thnk he lost a girlfriend back in HS to some guy using an Apple IIE or something. :D

Zafod
07-27-2011, 04:44 PM

you'd thnk he lost a girlfriend back in HS to some guy using an Apple IIE or something. :D

no I dont hate mac. I hate people insisting its better than anything else out there.

Zafod
07-27-2011, 04:46 PM
and I find apple snobs to be pricks for the most part....lol

Bailey
07-27-2011, 05:03 PM

Yes you're right they are pricks.

fettpett
07-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Safe enough that the Army is adopting them.

eh, they are just as dumb then....:D

txradioguy
07-28-2011, 03:43 AM

Gee thanks.:(

txradioguy
07-28-2011, 03:44 AM
Yes you're right they are pricks.

Umm hello?:confused:

txradioguy
07-28-2011, 03:45 AM
no I dont hate mac. I hate people insisting its better than anything else out there.

Even if the person saying it's a better OS has used windows since version 3.0 ?

newshutr
07-28-2011, 08:41 AM

Ahhhh..the Apple IIE... Loved that computer...

Zafod
07-28-2011, 08:43 AM
Even if the person saying it's a better OS has used windows since version 3.0 ?

I have used both Apple and Microsoft OS since 1990.... Hell my first computer was a 386 I had to limp along in floppy hell.....

Apple OS is a option... Not better, not worse. Just a option....

I prefer Windows because I can do more of what I like to do which Apple prevents....

RobJohnson
07-29-2011, 03:54 AM

The Ipod works. Other brands of mp3 players seem to have issues.

Apple makes good stuff.

It sucks to be this guy: http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_15214122
He was the third founder of Apple and sold out for $800, if he would of held on today his shares would be worth
22 billion....

hampshirebrit
07-30-2011, 07:41 AM
The Ipod works. Other brands of mp3 players seem to have issues.

Apple makes good stuff....

May I just say "hear hear", obviously in a non- elitist and non- snobby, and dare I even add, non- pricklike manner, so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of the devotees of St William on this fine board.

I think I may. So, here goes: Hyar hyar.:D

fettpett
07-30-2011, 09:40 AM
May I just say "hear hear", obviously in a non- elitist and non- snobby, and dare I even add, non- pricklike manner, so as not to offend the delicate sensibilities of the devotees of St William on this fine board.

:vomit::vomit::lol::lol::smilie_wall::smilie_wall: :rotfl::rotfl::tank::tank:

Zafod
07-30-2011, 01:53 PM

That was fucking funny shit right there.

Rockntractor
07-30-2011, 04:34 PM
I wonder if Hai has switched over to O SX Lion yet, he is a Mac connoisseur you know?:confused:

txradioguy
07-30-2011, 05:28 PM
I wonder if Hai has switched over to O SX Lion yet, he is a Mac connoisseur you know?:confused:

Have to find out next time he logs in.

Found one problem so far...the FaceTime app isn't working with the upgrade.

RobJohnson
08-01-2011, 03:20 AM

:)