PDA

View Full Version : Police: Singer Amy Winehouse dies at age 27

Rockntractor
07-23-2011, 01:19 PM
AP story
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_OBIT_AMY_WINEHOUSE?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-07-23-12-53-42

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 01:23 PM
LONDON -- Amy Winehouse, whose beehive hairdo, exaggerated cat-eye makeup and singular voice made her one of the best known female British singers of this century but who apparently was unable to overcome longstanding problems with drugs and alcohol, died Saturday at age 27.

She was found dead at her apartment in north London, according to Sky News. Police are treating her death as unexplained.

Winehouse had a long history of substance abuse, including not only alcohol but heroin and cocaine. As recently as June she had to cancel a planned 12-stop European tour after appearing drunk and struggling to remember her own lyrics at the tour's first stop in Belgrade, Serbia.

Prior to beginning the tour, she spent a week at the Priory Clinic in London, which offers treatment for addiction problems.

Though she met repeatedly with personal obstacles, Winehouse always believed she would be able to overcome them.

"If I am backed up against the wall, I'll kick the sh*t out of it," she said. "If you can't sort something out for yourself, no one can help you."

It was hard to miss Amy Winehouse -- both for her talent and her unkempt appearance. The singer won music magazine NME's "Worst Dressed Performer" award in 2008 and 2009 and was named the third worst dressed British Woman by Glamour magazine, thanks to her unruly, upswept hairdo, over-applied black eye makeup and tiny tank tops.

Amy Jade Winehouse was born on September 14, 1983 and raised in the Southgate area of England by her mother Janis, a pharmacist, and her father, Mitchell, a taxi driver.

She developed an early interest in jazz from her father, who often sang around the house.

She attended the Susi Earnshaw Theatre School and the Sylvia Young Theatre School, but was expelled from the latter at 14, reportedly for "not applying herself" and piercing her nose.

Winehouse's debut album, "Frank," produced mainly by Salaam Remi, was released on October 20, 2003, when the singer was 20. Many of the songs had jazz influences, and all but two covers were co-written by Winehouse.

The album hit platinum sales in 2004 and earned Winehouse the Ivor Novello songwriting Award for Best Contemporary Song on her first single, "Stronger Than Me."

Winehouse released her second album, "Back to Black," in 2006. Her first to be released in the United States, the album included the single "Rehab," which Time named the Best Song of 2007 and Rolling Stone called the eighth-best song of the 2000s.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2011/07/23/singer-amy-winehouse-found-dead/

obx
07-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Sad, but at least it wasn't someone talented.

Zathras
07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Gee, who didn't see this coming.

linda22003
07-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Ginger and I used to speculate on when - not if - this would happen. :rolleyes:

Rockntractor
07-23-2011, 01:47 PM

Not long ago she made the news by forgetting the lyrics to one of her songs at a European concert.

Hawkgirl
07-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Not surprising...RIP Amy, 27 is so young.

KhrushchevsShoe
07-23-2011, 01:50 PM

She was extremely talented.

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 02:09 PM

Agreed.

lacarnut
07-23-2011, 02:22 PM

She abused what little she had.

NJCardFan
07-23-2011, 02:27 PM
Now let's here from the wee wee crowd on how drugs are cool.

the director
07-23-2011, 02:28 PM

Well everyone dies eventually.

Rockntractor
07-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Well everyone dies eventually.

You can do much better than 27 on drugs.

obx
07-23-2011, 02:31 PM

Maybe she should have talked with Keith Richards.

Hawkgirl
07-23-2011, 02:31 PM
Yes this makes a great case for the legalization of drugs, they bring out the best in everyone.

Generation Why?
07-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Yes this makes a great case for the legalization of drugs, they bring out the best in everyone.

Personal choice. She chose to destroy her life.

the director
07-23-2011, 02:34 PM

I'm not disputing that. A lot of good talent is lost because of drug abuse - one of my favorite comedians Chris Farley had an early exit too.

Hawkgirl
07-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Well imagine how many lives would be destroyed if we made drugs more accessible ?

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm not disputing that. A lot of good talent is lost because of drug abuse - one of my favorite comedians Chris Farley had an early exit too.

And how many others out there will throw away a life un-lived because pro drug "they aren't hurting anyone" idiots want to do away with the laws against illegal drugs?

How many undiscovered talented people out there would you prefer to see possibly succumb to drugs because YOU don't want to get hassled by the cops buying a dime bag?

Generation Why?
07-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Well imagine how many lives would be destroyed if we made drugs more accessible ?

Replace drugs with guns and you sound just like the progressive left. Think about that

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Replace drugs with guns and you sound just like the progressive left. Think about that

Teh stoopid is thick with this troll.

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Guns are protected by the Second Amendment n00b.

Where is weed and coke?

Zathras
07-23-2011, 02:45 PM

With drugs. Now, just how many more people would do the same if we follow your idiotic suggestion to legalize drugs?

Zathras
07-23-2011, 02:45 PM
Teh stoopid is thick with this troll.

He's a Paulbot. Do you expect anything else?

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 02:47 PM
He's a Paulbot. Do you expect anything else?

Nope not in the least.

Hawkgirl
07-23-2011, 02:48 PM

Negative comrade, if more law abiding citizens were armed there would be more lives saved. Ever wonder why the cities with the strictest gun laws have the highest crime rate? Nice deflection though!

Generation Why?
07-23-2011, 02:53 PM

Negative comrade, if more law abiding citizens were armed there would be more lives saved. Ever wonder why the cities with the strictest gun laws have the highest crime rate? Nice deflection though!

I do know why. I guess you didn't read my intro. I am ery pro-gun. I started with that. The same can be done with drugs. Put an age limit on it i.e. alcohol and tobacco, tax it, and less people will go to jail. That way they aren't over-crowded. I hate when liberals start bitching that looser gun laws would creater more crime when it is always the opposite. This is the same thing.

the director
07-23-2011, 03:00 PM
And how many others out there will throw away a life un-lived because pro drug "they aren't hurting anyone" idiots want to do away with the laws against illegal drugs?

How many undiscovered talented people out there would you prefer to see possibly succumb to drugs because YOU don't want to get hassled by the cops buying a dime bag?

wat

hai
07-23-2011, 03:30 PM
With drugs. Now, just how many more people would do the same if we follow your idiotic suggestion to legalize drugs?

This.

Almost everyone who has used has died.

Jimi Hendrix,Janis Joplin and a few others.

Starbuck
07-23-2011, 03:35 PM

No she didn't. She died stupidly, accidentally and against her will after listening to those who say drugs should be an individual choice.

Generation Why?
07-23-2011, 03:41 PM
No she didn't. She died stupidly, accidentally and against her will after listening to those who say drugs should be an individual choice.

She was forced?

Hawkgirl
07-23-2011, 03:51 PM
She was forced?
No, but ever hear of teens & peer pressure? The smartest kids succumb to it.
I'm not for a country of drug addled young adults, Sorry.

Generation Why?
07-23-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm not for a country like that either, but it's already happening

linda22003
07-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Not long ago she made the news by forgetting the lyrics to one of her songs at a European concert.

And she forgot where she was. "Hellllloooooo, ATHENS!" doesn't go over all that well in Belgrade.

linda22003
07-23-2011, 03:58 PM
This.

Jimi Hendrix,Janis Joplin and a few others.

"Almost everyone"? Millions of people in this country have done drugs at some point in their lives.

txradioguy
07-23-2011, 04:17 PM

Those things don't exist in the vacuum where the Ronulan Cultists live.

JB
07-23-2011, 05:34 PM
This.

Jimi Hendrix,Janis Joplin and a few others.Kobain went the shotgun route.

We should outlaw guns.

lacarnut
07-23-2011, 05:38 PM

I went to high school in the 50's. One student was known to smoke pot. You know what. He was treated like a leper. No one associated with him. Times sure have changed for the worst and now these crazies want to legalize pot/drugs. Our country is going into the sewer and as we progress to that end we will wake up one day to see that we are no longer a proud and prosperous nation. Legalizing pot/drugs is like telling our kids that is okay for adults/parents to indulge so why not me. Kids that see their parent doing drugs are likely to pick up the habit also.

JB
07-23-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm not for a country of drug addled young adults, Sorry.So it doesn't make a difference then if drugs are legal or illegal.

It's the teens and peer pressure that make kids do drugs. Not the legality of it.

NJCardFan
07-23-2011, 06:02 PM

Another Ronulan? For the love of ...

Odysseus
07-23-2011, 06:35 PM
We don't know for sure that it was a drug overdose. The police are calling it "unexplained" (although not unexpected). It may have been a conservative Christian Norwegian or Islamic fundamentalists. My money is on those darned Hottentots. :D

Zafod
07-23-2011, 10:31 PM
she lived on cocktails of heroin and lighter fluid.....I'm amazed she lived this long.....

Hawkgirl
07-24-2011, 12:11 AM
she lived on cocktails of heroin and lighter fluid.....I'm amazed she lived this long.....

I never had an interest in her or her music, but do recall the stories about her drug use, another tortured soul who found happiness in drugs. It's quite sad.

Kay
07-24-2011, 12:16 AM
She didn't wanna go to rehab, she said no no no.....

Zathras
07-24-2011, 02:44 AM
I'm not for a country like that either, but it's already happening

And with the bolded part you show just what a hypocrit you really are. You're for the legalisation of drugs, therefore YOU ARE for a country like that.

txradioguy
07-24-2011, 04:43 AM
So it doesn't make a difference then if drugs are legal or illegal.

It's the teens and peer pressure that make kids do drugs. Not the legality of it.

Then I guess by your warped way of thinking we should regulate those and not drugs right?

txradioguy
07-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Another Ronulan? For the love of ...

It's like playing whack-a-mole with these retards.

Space Gravy
07-24-2011, 11:22 AM
This will have a devastating effect on the pocketbook of London drug dealers.

AmPat
07-24-2011, 12:05 PM
We don't know for sure that it was a drug overdose. The police are calling it "unexplained" (although not unexpected). It may have been a conservative Christian Norwegian or Islamic fundamentalists. My money is on those darned Hottentots. :D

Maybe she got Carradined??? :o

noonwitch
07-25-2011, 08:57 AM
The drug legalization issue has nothing to do with her death. Most people calling for legalization of drugs are basically referring to one drug-marijuana. I know there are some (Ron Paul) who call for legalizing all drugs, including heroin and cocaine, but that is not what most legalization efforts are about.

I've never heard of anyone dying from a marijuana overdose. Most of the health issues from ingesting marijuana could be eliminated if users ate it instead of smoked it. I've known a few people who drank themselves to an early grave, though.

If she died from drugs, the substance in question is probably heroin, cocaine, alcohol or some combination of the three.

AmPat
07-25-2011, 09:12 AM
The drug legalization issue has nothing to do with her death. Most people calling for legalization of drugs are basically referring to one drug-marijuana. I know there are some (Ron Paul) who call for legalizing all drugs, including heroin and cocaine, but that is not what most legalization efforts are about.

I've never heard of anyone dying from a marijuana overdose. Most of the health issues from ingesting marijuana could be eliminated if users ate it instead of smoked it. I've known a few people who drank themselves to an early grave, though.

If she died from drugs, the substance in question is probably heroin, cocaine, alcohol or some combination of the three.Once they succeed in getting pot legalized, they'll begin a new assault on another pet drug. There will be no end to this.

obx
07-25-2011, 10:03 AM
She did us a favor.

Zafod
07-25-2011, 12:21 PM

If she died from drugs, the substance in question is probably heroin, cocaine, alcohol or some combination of the three.

good grief you are a tool....

linda22003
07-25-2011, 12:28 PM
She did us a favor.

Why? How did her life or death actually impact you personally?

lacarnut
07-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Why? How did her life or death actually impact you personally?

One less freak to be idolized is a good thing.

noonwitch
07-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Once they succeed in getting pot legalized, they'll begin a new assault on another pet drug. There will be no end to this.

I don't think that will happen, because the only people who want hard drugs legalized are either junkies who don't vote or libertarians who rarely have enough votes to pass anything.

AmPat
07-25-2011, 01:26 PM
I don't think that will happen, because the only people who want hard drugs legalized are either junkies who don't vote or libertarians who rarely have enough votes to pass anything.

Your'e missing the obvious point; GIVEN that they succeed in legalizing pot, they will shift the battle to their next pet project. That is the libertarian goal and most certainly the desire of brain dead drug users everywhere.

Did you see states legalizing pot 30 years ago?:rolleyes:

The logical endstate is much worse than Amsterdam.

lacarnut
07-25-2011, 01:59 PM

If pot is legalized, cocaine will be next. The government will tax it and usage will go up. Legalization is a stupid idea.

Those fools that said gambling was the answer to revenue shortfalls were wrong. The same thing will happen if drugs are legalized. More taxes ===more spending==more employees hired===more bloated government.

linda22003
07-25-2011, 02:09 PM
One less freak to be idolized is a good thing.

I doubt anyone idolized her. She had a good voice but chose not to develop it.

lacarnut
07-25-2011, 02:15 PM
I doubt anyone idolized her.

You obviously have not been following the well wishers in the news then. Therefore, you are bad wrong. :)

noonwitch
07-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Did you see states legalizing pot 30 years ago?:rolleyes:

Before January of 1981, yes, I did see it being legalized. Not so much after Reagan took office. I really didn't think Michigan's medical marijuana bill would pass on the ballot, but it did by a good margin.

AmPat
07-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Before January of 1981, yes, I did see it being legalized. Not so much after Reagan took office. I really didn't think Michigan's medical marijuana bill would pass on the ballot, but it did by a good margin.

And how many states since then???

Hawkgirl
07-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Slippery Slope

AmPat
07-25-2011, 04:33 PM
That's what I'm trying to get her to admit.

Constitutionally Speaking
07-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Unbelievably talented. What a waste.

Odysseus
07-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Yes, but obesity related deaths from repeated attacks of the munchies should not be discounted, either.

From the looks of her, I'd say that the drug of choice was mascara. :D