PDA

View Full Version : Design tips from Vern Yip of HGTV

SaintLouieWoman
07-24-2011, 01:29 PM
This will be the first thread in the new estrogen forum/women's forum 101. Guys are also permitted here. :D

Do you watch HGTV or other design shows? It's both saved us (and also cost us) a bunch of bucks. One tip helped a lot----to shop your own house. I've saved lots of cash by just looking around at some of our "junk" and reusing it in a different room in a different way.

Here are some suggestions from Vern.

Design RX (http://glo.msn.com/living/furnishings-to-complete-your-space-7218.gallery?Gt1=49006#!stackState=)

Rockntractor
07-24-2011, 01:33 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Articulate_Ape
07-24-2011, 01:40 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/ezpkns34/funny_motivational_poster_11.jpg?t=1264226508

SaintLouieWoman
07-24-2011, 01:40 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
So are you following some of those design tips, like having neutral walls and using the trendy colors for accessories, like pillows in wild colors? :D:D

Rockntractor
07-24-2011, 01:41 PM
So are you following some of those design tips, like having neutral walls and using the trendy colors for accessories, like pillows in wild colors? :D:D

Um yeah, that's it!:confused:

SaintLouieWoman
07-24-2011, 01:41 PM
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/ezpkns34/funny_motivational_poster_11.jpg?t=1264226508

We obviously need more female members here. The estrogen is mighty thin on this board. :lol:

bijou
07-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Big-buck budgets are the rule of thumb in Bravo's 'Million Dollar Decorators,' the latest design reality show to take the nation by storm. But they're far from routine in the real world.

"Times have changed. In this day and age, you can't just use your regular high-end standbys. Even my wealthy clients are pulling back, especially on art," says New York designer Christopher Coleman.

But truth be told, Coleman, and a host of other big-name design insiders, have always loved a good bargain. "I find such great, well made things at West Elm, Pottery Barn, Crate, CB2 and Target that I often buy them in multiples and put them away in a storage locker so I have them when I need them for a certain project, because when it's gone, it's gone for good," he notes. "And I'm sure some of these things are going to be collectibles some day."

Recent case in point: A chrome legged bench he snagged at Target for $99 and "is now truly gone for good," he laments.

Buying these pieces is not only easier on a budget; it's good common sense. "There's no need to spend more than necessary, especially when the big brand stores such as West Elm and Target are hitting home runs with their products and price points," says Jon Call, who heads Mr. Call Designs in New York and is creative producer for HGTV's upcoming High Low Project with Sabrina Soto. "It's simple economies of scale. They can make it better for less in mass quantities." ...
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/home/sc-home-0718-cheap-finds-20110721,0,3631983.story

Rockntractor
07-24-2011, 01:45 PM
We obviously need more female members here. The estrogen is mighty thin on this board. :lol:

I like my womans thin!:)

SaintLouieWoman
07-24-2011, 01:56 PM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/home/sc-home-0718-cheap-finds-20110721,0,3631983.story

Great idea. I've been buying some good looking pieces at Crate & Barrel and at CB2. I take it a step further---I wait til those pieces are on sale.

My only problem was the purchase of 4 leather "folio" chairs from C&B 5 years ago. Perhaps I'm expecting perfection, but the tops of the leather chairs started cracking about 2 years ago. The move to Florida interfered with my attempts to get C&B to address the problem.

In January on a visit to the C&B store in the Tampa area, we brought a few of those chairs there for them to see. A customer service guy took a photo and promised to get back to me. SR's stroke interfered with my quest for some solution to the problem.

I got my own solution---sold 1 in the Women's Exchange here locally and donated the others to the Salvation Army. I griped again when we were at the C&B last weekend. Someone finally called back and said they're sending me a $75 gift card. It's not total reimbursement but it helps.

bijou
07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Great idea. I've been buying some good looking pieces at Crate & Barrel and at CB2. I take it a step further---I wait til those pieces are on sale.

My only problem was the purchase of 4 leather "folio" chairs from C&B 5 years ago. Perhaps I'm expecting perfection, but the tops of the leather chairs started cracking about 2 years ago. The move to Florida interfered with my attempts to get C&B to address the problem.

In January on a visit to the C&B store in the Tampa area, we brought a few of those chairs there for them to see. A customer service guy took a photo and promised to get back to me. SR's stroke interfered with my quest for some solution to the problem.

I got my own solution---sold 1 in the Women's Exchange here locally and donated the others to the Salvation Army. I griped again when we were at the C&B last weekend. Someone finally called back and said they're sending me a $75 gift card. It's not total reimbursement but it helps.

I have an eclectic mix of furniture from antiques to Ikea, it has grown gradually over the years. The trick to buying the bargain brands is to get plain and simple pieces and add a more individual (or expensive) accessory, and stay away from anything too 'fashionable' so you're not tempted to buy again when you tire of it.

SaintLouieWoman
07-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I have an eclectic mix of furniture from antiques to Ikea, it has grown gradually over the years. The trick to buying the bargain brands is to get plain and simple pieces and add a more individual (or expensive) accessory, and stay away from anything too 'fashionable' so you're not tempted to buy again when you tire of it.

My big secret since I've moved to Sarasota is to get rid of all the stuff, both collectible and just regular old stuff, that I'm sick of. There's a place called the Women's Exchange that won't take garage sale stuff, but will definitely take practical things. I've been getting a range of $20 a month to a high of $435 from the things sold there.

There are a lot of boutiques here, very high priced, as well as junkier stores. I have seen nothing particularly interesting, other than the Women's Exchange. Some wealthy people here dump their stuff when they tire of it.

My best pieces were purchased in St Louis at a relatively upscale shop. I learned to haggle prices with the owner. The unusual pieces are the difference between a ho hum, boring house and an interesting house. My theory is anyone can spend a boatload of money and make a pretty house but it's a challenge to do it without wasting so much money.

You're right about getting too trendy and going for the fashion of the instant.

Madisonian
07-24-2011, 07:13 PM

I always thought AA was quite full of it. Estrogen, that is.:D

Articulate_Ape
07-24-2011, 10:49 PM
I always thought AA was quite full of it. Estrogen, that is.:D

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2009/08/tila-tequila-ape.jpg

Hawkgirl
07-25-2011, 12:10 AM
I am very much into interior design & watch HGTV a lot. My favorite designers are Candace Olsen & Sarah Richards. I'd guess my taste is classic eclectic for my house. If I had a cabin in the wood, I'd like rustic. But my cocktail and end tables are a rustic, distressed wood that look like they belong in a cabin or in a cottage. I'm also a minimalist, I don't luke too much stuff, although hard as I've aquired a lot through the years.