PDA

View Full Version : Roughly a Fourth of Gay Teens are Homeless

Rockntractor
07-24-2011, 09:08 PM
by Tom Henderson
Jul 22nd 2011 4:00PM

Credit: Getty Images
Roughly 25 percent of gay and lesbian teenagers are homeless.

Compare that with only 3 percent of heterosexual teens, and you get the bleak picture painted by a study coming out of Children's Hospital in Boston.

A press released reports researchers studied more than 6,300 high school students. Not only were homosexual students dramatically more likely to be homeless, but a lot of them (homeless or not) were simply on their own with no parents or guardians.

The study was published online July 21 by the American Journal of Public Health and is the first to measure the risk of homelessness among teens of different sexual orientations.

"Prior studies in homeless street youth have found that sexual minorities occur in much higher numbers than we'd expect based on their numbers in the community in general," lead researcher Heather Corliss of the Division of Adolescent and Young Adult Medicine at Children's Hospital, says in the release. "This study looked at the magnitude of the difference for the first time."

Corliss adds the study will hopefully will raise awareness of the vulnerability of gay and lesbian teenagers to homelessness. She particularly hopes school administrators and other professionals will take heed.

Read More>http://www.parentdish.com/2011/07/22/roughly-a-fourth-of-gay-teens-are-homeless/

Articulate_Ape
07-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Are they simply homeless gays, homeless because they are gay, or gay because they are homeless? Sorry, but I had to ask.

CueSi
07-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Are they simply homeless gays, homeless because they are gay, or gay because they are homeless? Sorry, but I had to ask.

Fair question methinks. I also have another one. What precipitated this? Were they acting the fool all along (disrespect, staying out late, bad grades, petty criminality) and then coming out of the closet was the final straw? Or were these good/mediocre, law abiding, everyday kids who confided in their parents about their sexuality and betrayed/abused/abandoned?

I know the media wants to depict every homeless gay teen as the latter, but. . . let's not be idiots here. Some kids just ain't shyt, gay or straight.

~QC

RobJohnson
07-25-2011, 02:09 AM
Fair question methinks. I also have another one. What precipitated this? Were they acting the fool all along (disrespect, staying out late, bad grades, petty criminality) and then coming out of the closet was the final straw? Or were these good/mediocre, law abiding, everyday kids who confided in their parents about their sexuality and betrayed/abused/abandoned?

I know the media wants to depict every homeless gay teen as the latter, but. . . let's not be idiots here. Some kids just ain't shyt, gay or straight.

~QC

I agree. I think there is much more to the story.

Nubs
07-25-2011, 01:16 PM
I think they are most likely homeless then turn gay. Males turn to sucking cock to pay for what they need. Females turn to women for companionship w/o risk of creating another mouth to feed.

noonwitch
07-25-2011, 01:28 PM

That's a good question. The survey just determined what percentage of gay youth are homeless, without considering any other factor than their sexual orientation. Are they homeless alone, or is their whole family homeless? Did they run away from home, or from the foster care system? Did they get kicked out of their home for being gay, or for being an obnoxious teen?

My guess is that this study was done to prove that gay kids have it harder than straight kids, not to help come up with any solutions to teenage homelessness.