PDA

View Full Version : any strength trainers?

Zafod
07-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Sound off if you sling steel!

Articulate_Ape
07-24-2011, 10:41 PM
Sound off if you sling steel!

Do you realize how gay that sounded?

Zafod
07-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Do you realize how gay that sounded?

Since you happen to be a fag its understandable that everything sounds gay to you....

Hawkgirl
07-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Pre baby, I did the stations at my gym, not free weights with the exception of curls.

I don't have a gym membership now, but itching to go back, mainly for swimming.

Zafod
07-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Pre baby, I did the stations at my gym, not free weights with the exception of curls.

Machines are great for starters and for rehab but for strength building I recomend free weights. A hack squat machine can't come close to doing real Squats. And a leg press is not the same as a dead lift in any regard. I used to only use machines, but when I started doing free weights only then did I start to see real strength gains.

SaintLouieWoman
07-25-2011, 09:20 AM

I did circuit training at the gym in St Louis, along with a lot of water aerobics. LifeTime Fitness was the most amazing gym I've ever seen. They have one in Florida, but it's a long drive to Boca Raton (other side of the state on the east coast).

It was a granite paradise, granite floors, benches, walls, showers, etc. It was a visual pleasure. And it seemed like they had acres of machines and a huge free weight area. Albert Pujols worked out there sometimes during the off season.

I joined a gym associated with Sarasota Memorial Hospital, the HealthPlex, but it's downright depressing. Most of the people look like they're in their 80's and 90's and can barely walk. It's like working out in the retirement home. SR went with me there once and wouldn't return.

I've been hiding out as I took a leave of absence in February (and didn't have to pay the $59 a month) because I was supposed to have my knee replacement surgery. When SR went into the hospital, I had to cancel the surgery. It's ironic, my leave is running out Aug 1st and I think I'll probably get the surgery in September. I hope I just have to pay a couple months and then cancel the membership. It's just too depressing plus I have to wait forever to use the equipment, as they only have one of everything. Bummer.

But if you have a heart attack in the gym, there are the nurses there to help. I guess that's a benefit. :D

Hawkgirl
07-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I did circuit training at the gym in St Louis, along with a lot of water aerobics. LifeTime Fitness was the most amazing gym I've ever seen. They have one in Florida, but it's a long drive to Boca Raton (other side of the state on the east coast).

It was a granite paradise, granite floors, benches, walls, showers, etc. It was a visual pleasure. And it seemed like they had acres of machines and a huge free weight area. Albert Pujols worked out there sometimes during the off season.

I

I looked into that gym, which isn't too far away from me, but it was expensive...I don't recall the exact amount right now. But now that I think about it..the YMCA is right around the same as LifeTime for a family membership...I really need to join...one that offers babysitting services. I can tell my muslces have atrophied....I want to get back into shape.

Rockntractor
07-25-2011, 08:32 PM
I let my food exercise.:cool:
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/shrimprunning.gif

Articulate_Ape
07-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Since you happen to be a fag its understandable that everything sounds gay to you....

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/NOU.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/flipthebirdScot.gif

Zafod
07-25-2011, 10:31 PM
http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/NOU.jpg

http://i531.photobucket.com/albums/dd359/JamesSavant/flipthebirdScot.gif

Lame....

SaintLouieWoman
07-25-2011, 11:23 PM
I looked into that gym, which isn't too far away from me, but it was expensive...I don't recall the exact amount right now. But now that I think about it..the YMCA is right around the same as LifeTime for a family membership...I really need to join...one that offers babysitting services. I can tell my muslces have atrophied....I want to get back into shape.

It was almost the same as the Y in St Louis, too. They had free babysitting, in fact the kids area was very nice. They also had tons of activities for the kiddies, including little classes during the day. I used to see the kids with their counselors when I was taking my water aerobic classes.

patriot45
07-26-2011, 12:17 AM
I have been into the 12 oz curl lately! :D

Hawkgirl
07-26-2011, 09:44 PM
It was almost the same as the Y in St Louis, too. They had free babysitting, in fact the kids area was very nice. They also had tons of activities for the kiddies, including little classes during the day. I used to see the kids with their counselors when I was taking my water aerobic classes.

I called Lifetime yesterday and got some info. Their all inclusive (onyx plan, I think) is $119/month plus $5 for babysitting. Bonus is I could take my kid into the outdoor pool with me. The salesguy said it looks like the Four Season. Reviews basically confirmed everything he said...everyone was blown away by how nice it is. The local Y is 89/month and is probably not as nice, but closer to me. Lifetime is about 15-20 minute drive for me. They will give me a day pass to try it out. It has a salon, spa, yoga, a cafe..and what looks like a nice kids area. I just think it's a bit costly so I'm going to think about it before I go...

SaintLouieWoman
07-26-2011, 09:54 PM
I called Lifetime yesterday and got some info. Their all inclusive (onyx plan, I think) is $119/month plus $5 for babysitting. Bonus is I could take my kid into the outdoor pool with me. The salesguy said it looks like the Four Season. Reviews basically confirmed everything he said...everyone was blown away by how nice it is. The local Y is 89/month and is probably not as nice, but closer to me. Lifetime is about 15-20 minute drive for me. They will give me a day pass to try it out. It has a salon, spa, yoga, a cafe..and what looks like a nice kids area. I just think it's a bit costly so I'm going to think about it before I go...

That's about what I paid for it. But it was worth it. Of course I was working then so didn't have to think about the $'s as much. The place here costs $59 a month, but is a real downer, particularly since I got spoiled.

Ask if they'll be having specials. They're sales guys. You can always drive a bargain for them. And I know they can give more than a day pass. I could have had a week's pass for free.

They change specials from time to time. The seasons are so different here than in St Louis. In Sarasota it's really slow as most of the snowbirds are gone. I've noticed at the Healthplex they have all kinds of deals going on, including the summer free if you refer another guest. Maybe if you have any friends who are interested, you could work out a good deal.

I'm learning that everything is negotiable. :D

Rockntractor
07-26-2011, 09:56 PM
It has a salon, spa, yoga, a cafe..

Mmmm, cafe!:)

Hawkgirl
07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Mmmm, cafe!:)

Yes, I can see myself ordering latte's, wraps and smoothies..and blowing my workout to hell:(

SaintLouieWoman
07-26-2011, 10:06 PM
Yes, I can see myself ordering latte's, wraps and smoothies..and blowing my workout to hell:(

Do they have a rock climbing wall and basketball courts? The one in St Louis had them. The whirlpools were really nice, had two huge ones in the indoor pool areas (had a lap pool and an enormous general pool indoors) and a lap pool and another enormous pool outdoors.

They also had swimming classes for the kids and swim teams.

The food was mostly healthy stuff. SR hated it: I loved it. :D

Hawkgirl
07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Do they have a rock climbing wall and basketball courts? The one in St Louis had them. The whirlpools were really nice, had two huge ones in the indoor pool areas (had a lap pool and an enormous general pool indoors) and a lap pool and another enormous pool outdoors.

They also had swimming classes for the kids and swim teams.

The food was mostly healthy stuff. SR hated it: I loved it. :D

Yes they do...but that's not for me....I'll be taking yoga, pilates, maybe some sort of aerobic class, like zumba, but mostly swimming...followed by the hot tub of course.:cool:
They also offer massage, facials, mani's pedi's...sauna, steam room....I'll be hitting that up too. :D

Also, they will watch little hawk for 2 hour stretches...

Too bad you're not in this area...we could do the buddy system...this is too expensive for my friends.:(

SaintLouieWoman
07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
Yes they do...but that's not for me....I'll be taking yoga, pilates, maybe some sort of aerobic class, like zumba, but mostly swimming...followed by the hot tub of course.:cool:
They also offer massage, facials, mani's pedi's...sauna, steam room....I'll be hitting that up too. :D

Also, they will watch little hawk for 2 hour stretches...

Too bad you're not in this area...we could do the buddy system...this is too expensive for my friends.:(
They used to have a tai chi in the pool class. I loved it, but the instructor quit and they could never find anyone else to do it. All the classes were included, except the "hot yoga" and the pilates on the machine (the torture rack). The regular mat pilates classes were free.

I really miss that place. Sarasota is too small of a market for them to build here. Sigh. I just really dislike the place where I have the membership. It really makes me realize that I'm living in God's waiting room here in Sarasota.

Articulate_Ape
07-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Lame....

Your point? :p

jendf
07-26-2011, 11:30 PM
In my aerobics class we do a little strength training with dumbbells. I've taking these classes for over a year and love it. It's really made a difference in how I look.

I can't do the gym. I can't motivate myself there.

Zafod
07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
this thread was started for strength trainers here. But the only people posting are cardio bunnies..... Lame duck sauce......

jendf
07-27-2011, 12:11 AM
this thread was started for strength trainers here. But the only people posting are cardio bunnies..... Lame duck sauce......

Didn't you start one of these threads in the Lounge a while back and it just ended up being a "my dick is bigger than yours" thread between you and Speedy?

The chicks are classing the place up here. Relax.

Zafod
07-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Didn't you start one of these threads in the Lounge a while back and it just ended up being a "my dick is bigger than yours" thread between you and Speedy?

The chicks are classing the place up here. Relax.

Lol no speedy tried to school me on what is correct training because he is so strong lol.

Cardio bunnies can start their own thread. Lmao.

jendf
07-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Lol no speedy tried to school me on what is correct training because he is so strong lol.

Cardio bunnies can start their own thread. Lmao.

Why start another thread when we've got a perfectly good thread going here? :D

Articulate_Ape
07-27-2011, 12:55 AM

Would it help if I said I could collapse your rib cage with a single strike? :p

SaintLouieWoman
07-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Why start another thread when we've got a perfectly good thread going here? :D

:applause::hug:

Strength training and light weights are all to the good. I haven't seen many women in the gym lifting 200 pound weights.

And when in the history of CU don't we digress? :D

Zafod
07-27-2011, 10:42 AM
I haven't seen many women in the gym lifting 200 pound weights.

I have...... and they are small.

My wife for example can out lift most men.... 225 dead lift at 130 body weight