PDA

View Full Version : The chimp they tried to turn into a human, with chilling results

bijou
07-25-2011, 08:12 AM
The woman volunteer thought Nim was coming to hug her, but instead the young chimp lunged, biting so deep into her cheek that his fangs pierced her mouth.

As she clutched her bleeding face, the little ape was beside himself, using the same piece of sign language again and again to attract her attention. ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry,’ he repeated.

This haunting recollection is one of many contained in a riveting new film, Project Nim, by the director of the Oscar-winning Man On Wire, about one of the most bizarre scientific experiments of recent times.

British film-maker James Marsh’s latest subject undertakes a journey every bit as astonishing as tightrope artist Philippe Petit’s walk on a wire strung between the Twin Towers of New York’s World Trade Centre.

Nim was a chimp that was raised as a human child in order to test out the radical theory that man and his closest relative could learn to talk to each other.

Tragically, as Marsh’s film relates through a mixture of archive footage, re-enactments and interviews with those who took part in the early-Seventies experiment, this is a tale that ultimately says more about human arrogance than simian intelligence.

A helpless pawn ripped — quite literally — from his mother’s breast, Nim was a victim of the naïve, hippy- culture-infused world of early-Seventies New York.

He fell into the clutches of a hapless band of woolly social scientists who gave him human clothes, human food and enough doting young lady volunteers to send his simian hormones haywire. If it were not for what happened later, it could have been a Woody Allen comedy.

However, Terrace thought differently and had chosen Stephanie LaFarge, a former student and lover, to bring up Nim in the large Manhattan townhouse she shared with her self-confessed ‘rich hippy’ writer husband, Wer, and their seven children.

But it was a disastrous decision — Stephanie never bothered trying to discipline Nim. She did not take any notes on the experiment and did not keep a log of Nim’s progress, but she did breastfeed him and give him alcohol and puffs on her cannabis joints.

He was encouraged to lay waste to their expensive home and wind up his rival for her affections, Stephanie’s husband. Home movie footage shows the little creature, a blur of black and white in his romper suit, charging around as Stephanie recounts dreamily how she let him explore her naked body as he moved into puberty.

‘I never felt sexually engaged with him,’ she recalls, which is a blessing at least. Yes, it certainly was the Seventies.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2018391/The-extraordinary-experiment-chimp-raised-human-child.html#ixzz1T7OmUE6s

Odysseus
07-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Back in the day, HG Wells considered animals that were forced to adopt human behaviors and biology to be victims of an unimaginable horror. By the 70s, Dr. Moreau was just one more transgressor against the norms of our bourgeois culture.

Stupid hippies.

bijou
07-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Back in the day, HG Wells considered animals that were forced to adopt human behaviors and biology to be victims of an unimaginable horror. By the 70s, Dr. Moreau was just one more transgressor against the norms of our bourgeois culture.

Stupid hippies.

Yup. I'd quite like to see the movie, as long as there aren't any monkey feeding scenes, because I hope it would explain why anyone thought that this was going to be a good idea.

Odysseus
07-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Yup. I'd quite like to see the movie, as long as there aren't any monkey feeding scenes, because I hope it would explain why anyone thought that this was going to be a good idea.

It should be on a double bill with the movie about the idiot who got himself and his girlfriend eaten by bears.

Speedy
07-25-2011, 03:44 PM

The project was a clusterfuck from the beginning. Have you see how hippies raise kids? Not one bit of discipline. They allow the kid to decide what is right or wrong in their own mind. They did the same thing with the ape. Even apes discipline their young in the wild.

jendf
07-25-2011, 03:44 PM

You can't explain stupid.

Odysseus
07-25-2011, 03:52 PM
The project was a clusterfuck from the beginning. Have you see how hippies raise kids? Not one bit of discipline. They allow the kid to decide what is right or wrong in their own mind. They did the same thing with the ape. Even apes discipline their young in the wild.

That's because apes are smarter than hippies.

jnkbortka
07-25-2011, 04:41 PM
http://th528.photobucket.com/albums/dd328/edisdeadalive/th_ERIC_CARTMAN_SAYS_NO.jpg

obx
07-25-2011, 04:49 PM
It should be on a double bill with the movie about the idiot who got himself and his girlfriend eaten by bears.

GRIZZLY MAN-- Talk about a happy ending, both my kids and I laughed when the found out what happened to that idiot.

fettpett
07-25-2011, 05:18 PM
GRIZZLY MAN-- Talk about a happy ending, both my kids and I laughed when the found out what happened to that idiot.

have you watched it? the dude was a fucking idiot from the get go.

hampshirebrit
07-25-2011, 06:14 PM
The director's other work referenced in the OP's post, Man on Wire, is well worth watching. It's a BW film about the French bloke who walked a high-wire between WTC1 and 2.

Articulate_Ape
07-25-2011, 07:06 PM
That's because apes are smarter than hippies.

Damned straight.

Hawkgirl
07-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Good thing PETA wasn't around then....

SarasotaRepub
07-25-2011, 08:25 PM
http://th528.photobucket.com/albums/dd328/edisdeadalive/th_ERIC_CARTMAN_SAYS_NO.jpg

HA!!! I was thinking the same. :D

noonwitch
07-26-2011, 08:35 AM

The upside of that is when the children of hippies rebel against their parents, they do so by becoming normal people.

SaintLouieWoman
07-26-2011, 11:30 AM
People just can't understand that chimps aren't little fuzzy people. A girl at my office used to dream about getting a chimp and having matching outfits. She truly was saving her cash to buy one. No matter what I told her, she wouldn't listen. I even gave her info from the curator of primates at the STL Zoo, warning people to NEVER get primates as pets.

I can't tell you how many people try to give out of control exotic animals to zoos when they can no longer handle them. I chimp sat a baby chimp at the zoo whose mother had been physically abusive to him. Little Hugo (now big Huge-O, the dominant chimp) was adorable but terrified of everything.

The zookeepers had selected volunteers come to the zoo after hours and keep him company, change his diapers, keep him from getting too lonely. The first time he was switched from the children's zoo to underneath the Jungle of the Apes, he was terrified of the noises from the gorillas.

By the time he was one year old, they pulled us from the project. I tried to pick him up one evening and he bared his teeth at me. That was my last time with baby Hugo.

Odysseus
07-26-2011, 01:58 PM
The upside of that is when the children of hippies rebel against their parents, they do so by becoming normal people.

http://www.threeminuteboy.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/chimpanzee-in-a-suit.jpg
"Mom and dad were hippies. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but I just wanted some normalcy in my life after all of the years of communes and VW microbuses. Nothing beats a bespoke suit, a multi-million dollar townhouse and a BMW in the garage. Now, I hate to cut this short, but I'm having dinner with a supermodel and I don't want to keep Giselle waiting. Ciao."